Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

ETA application for Dual national.

ETA application for Dual national.

Old Sep 29th 2019, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

DarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond repute
Default ETA application for Dual national.

Hi again all,
EDIT: IT APPEARS I can apply for special authorisation though I'm unsure as to if I am a British Citizen or British overseas citizen. This trip wasn't planned but a sudden agreement a week or so ago and as we currently have no rental car I can't be sure we will get to go so I'll apply for a passport at Xmas.

I've just been to the UK Gov website about an ETA application to go on a short trip to Calgary. I'm a dual national with a citizenship certificate but not a Canadian passport. It says Dual citizens can't apply for ETA but I've never had a Canadian passport. I was part of the 'Lost Canadian' group denied citizenship because my grandparent was Female. The Gov apologised and gave me my citizenship I should of had at birth - recently.. It was infact the IRCC head who actioned and okd my case and citizenship.. What do I do?

Thank you guys!

Last edited by DarwinCharles; Sep 29th 2019 at 7:03 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 7:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ETA application for Dual national.

You’ll need to apply for a Canadian passport. You’ve not actually said, when are you travelling?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 29th 2019 at 7:12 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

DarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You’ll need to apply for a Canadian passport. You’ve not actually said, when are you travelling?

We may be travelling in a few weeks. It seems there is a last minute travel authorisation for people who are dual. I cant guarantee it will get to me in time or that I won't be in for an interview being my first passport. I have no time to travel to London if that were to happen. I'd either have to cancel the trip or use the authorisation.

Thank you
Old Sep 29th 2019, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DarwinCharles
We may be travelling in a few weeks. It seems there is a last minute travel authorisation for people who are dual. I cant guarantee it will get to me in time or that I won't be in for an interview being my first passport. I have no time to travel to London if that were to happen. I'd either have to cancel the trip or use the authorisation.

Thank you
Both my daughter and son are in the same position as I got them Canadian citizenship when they were children. My daughter got her first Canadian passport a few years ago now through London (UK). Took 3 weeks.

I strongly suspect you have no option but a Canadian passport via UK, as you are a Canadian citizen - easy enough via post.

Good luck.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Both my daughter and son are in the same position as I got them Canadian citizenship when they were children. My daughter got her first Canadian passport a few years ago now through London (UK). Took 3 weeks.

I strongly suspect you have no option but a Canadian passport via UK, as you are a Canadian citizen - easy enough via post.

Good luck.
Thank you!

Currently processing times are 20 days not including posting days, so I will definitely not make it but as this was new a few months ago, I did not see it. We checked and printed our passport applications just before May and the new rules weren't in then. Odd really. I will use the Special authorisation application for those flying very soon.

Thank you all
Old Sep 29th 2019, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Apply for an ESTA and fly into the US and then cross the Canadian border via land in a private vehicle either somebody picking you up or renting a one way drop off. If you have to fly into Canada then no other option but a Canadian passport or the special authorization

You can apply for a special authorization if you:
  • have not been issued a Canadian passport that is valid on the day of your travel;
  • have a flight to Canada that leaves in less than 10 days;
  • have a valid passport from a visa-exempt country.
And one of the following:
  • have previously received a certificate of Canadian citizenship, or
  • held a Canadian passport in the past, or
  • were granted Canadian citizenship after having been a permanent resident of Canada.
Your information will be verified in our electronic systems to confirm that you are a Canadian citizen. This authorization will be valid for only 4 days from the date of travel you select on the form. If you don’t use it within this time, you will need to apply for a new authorization.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...a.html#findOut

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Sep 29th 2019 at 10:35 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Apply for an ESTA and fly into the US and then cross the Canadian border via land in a private vehicle either somebody picking you up ot renting a one way drop off. If you have to fly into Canada then no other option but a Canadian passport.

Thank you. It appears as per the website that as the rules were only added in May, most people don't know so a Special Authorisation application is done online for those flying soon.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DarwinCharles
Thank you. It appears as per the website that as the rules were only added in May, most people don't know so a Special Authorisation application is done online for those flying soon.
I was adding the link and adding more to my earlier reply.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I was adding the link and adding more to my earlier reply.
Ahh you saw it too. Fantastic. I believe I need to apply when my flight is ten days away... So I shall do that. Thank you kindly indeed.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Ooohh… Well that 'special authorisation' is a new one on me!