Is eTA another CIC boondoggle?

Old Mar 7th 2016, 4:22 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is eTA another CIC boondoggle?

Originally Posted by Gozit
I agree with you on that, quietly i'm glad I got them to get the renewal, but it was still a giant expense, and this eTA has been nothing but hassle for legitimate Canadians wanting to visit, and the people who have it easiest are the foreign travellers who can straightforwardly apply for it on their EU passports.
It's not unreasonable to expect that Canadians abroad who want to exercise their rights as Canadians carry a Canadian passport.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
It's not unreasonable to expect that Canadians abroad who want to exercise their rights as Canadians carry a Canadian passport.
And it shouldn't be unreasonable to allow me in as a UK citizen if living in the UK with dual citizenship and entering as a UK citizen with eTA and not wishing to exercise my rights as a Canadian citizen. Exercising rights is certainly different to having the right to enter.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

It is unreasonable when its not enshrined in the law that Canadians *must* carry a Canadian passport when coming to Canada, like it is in the US with US passports, and no one really complains about it there. The issue here is the incompetence and uncertainty of this eTA thing. The US had their rule on passports before ESTA was even a thing, so that wasn't a problem.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
And it shouldn't be unreasonable to allow me in as a UK citizen if living in the UK with dual citizenship and entering as a UK citizen with eTA and not wishing to exercise my rights as a Canadian citizen. Exercising rights is certainly different to having the right to enter.
Exactly.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

I think this is problematic. Not wanting to exercise rights as a Canadian citizen, doesn't mean you are not a Canadian citizen. You hold that status regardless.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 8th 2016 at 3:02 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
It is unreasonable when its not enshrined in the law that Canadians *must* carry a Canadian passport when coming to Canada, like it is in the US with US passports, and no one really complains about it there. The issue here is the incompetence and uncertainty of this eTA thing. The US had their rule on passports before ESTA was even a thing, so that wasn't a problem.

Exactly.
Note though even the US had teething problems with ESTA as they failed to recognise UK passport renewals could be greater than 10 years by carrying over upto 9 months from the old passport. At least for those that need an ETA its a bargain for 5 years versus the ESTa 2 years although what really still annoys people is the need when just transiting to another country. Maybe if UK leaves the EU we can reciprocate with. UK ETA.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I think this is problematic. Not wanting to exercise rights as a Canadian citizen, doesn't mean you are not a Canadian citizen. You hold that status regardless.

S
Yes you hold that status but you can choose whether or not to exercise it or not (or rather you should be able to)

Case in point a native canadian can choose whether or not to exercise their Indian status to have provincial taxes waived on a purchase. They are native regardless but they can choose when and how to exercise that status.

If I go to Malta on my Canadian passport I am treated as a Canadian and as a Canadian only, I can't perform stuff I would be allowed to had I entered on a Maltese passport. In order to be recognised as a citizen having entered on a foreign passport, i'd have to plead with the immigration department and/or leave the country and re-enter on my Maltese passport. The point here is I have the choice as to which citizenship I choose to exercise when visiting Malta or another EU state. I don't have to pay the $115/10 years to keep a Maltese passport valid as long as I am living in Canada. I choose to, however, for the simplicity and ease of being a citizen and for shorter immigration lines and less questioning at the border. Someone living in the UK with dual Uk/Canadian citizenship should have the right to exercise his UK citizenship at the Canadian border with an eTA and just come as a tourist if s/he wishes, with the full obligations of a tourist permit, not to work, and to leave when the permit is up. etc.

OR just do the sensible thing and allow those with eTA eligible passports and Canadian citizenship to apply for an eTA but have it linked to the fact that they are a Canadian citizen. That should be a simple thing on the form to tick "I am a Canadian citizen" and enter birth certificate registration number for Canadian-born, or citizenship certificate number for Canadians born abroad. Should be really simple but of course its CIC so it isn't.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by PB65
Note though even the US had teething problems with ESTA as they failed to recognise UK passport renewals could be greater than 10 years by carrying over upto 9 months from the old passport. At least for those that need an ETA its a bargain for 5 years versus the ESTa 2 years although what really still annoys people is the need when just transiting to another country. Maybe if UK leaves the EU we can reciprocate with. UK ETA.
UK doesn't need to leave the EU to introduce an eTA of its own, you guys are already out of the Schengen zone so can impose an eTA for Canadian/US/Aus/NZ/South Korean/Japanese travellers. Just not other EU citizens.

US immigration when transitting to another country is really annoying, agreed, since you have to go through immigration and be eligible for ESTA or a B2 on arrival or have a US visa even to travel through.

Case in point, I am a dual Canadian/Maltese citizen and I want to travel to Brazil for the olympics. Lets say I have a connecting flight in Atlanta, GA. On my Canadian passport, i'd need a $400 Brazilian visa, but on my Maltese passport its visa free travel. Whereas to get into the US I need either an ESTA on the Maltese passport or to use my Canadian passport as it is easier and no fingerprinting. I'd prefer the latter.

Checking in at the airline i'd have 2 possible issues

1) Present Canadian passport
-where is your Brazilian visa?
2)Present Maltese passport
-no ESTA

If the US wasn't so annoying on this, i'd just present the Maltese since my end destination is Brazil and the Maltese passport gets me into that destination. But since they require you to go through US immigration it creates that complication
Old Mar 9th 2016, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is pretty similar to what's been posted already, but it appeared on F/B. It has yesterday's date. Apologies if it's been posted already:

Travel documents for dual Canadian citizens flying to Canada

S
Old Mar 10th 2016, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I think this is pretty similar to what's been posted already, but it appeared on F/B. It has yesterday's date. Apologies if it's been posted already:

Travel documents for dual Canadian citizens flying to Canada

S
Thank you for posting this actually... Really outlines it and now when people ask we can point them there. Right out of the horse's mouth I suppose.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Sarah1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,
Wonder if anyone can help me out in light of this new info. My application for eTA is under review although I received rehabilitation in January from London. I can't get any update other than they have all info from my GCKey account. I have a UCI but have been told not to travel/book flights etc while I'm under review as I don't hold a valid eta yet, I've been in the system since Jan 12th. As of this latest news would I be able to travel and take my rehab letter for port of entry, or am I safer to wait for the eTA. Thanks in advance
Old Mar 14th 2016, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah1977
Hi guys,
Wonder if anyone can help me out in light of this new info. My application for eTA is under review although I received rehabilitation in January from London. I can't get any update other than they have all info from my GCKey account. I have a UCI but have been told not to travel/book flights etc while I'm under review as I don't hold a valid eta yet, I've been in the system since Jan 12th. As of this latest news would I be able to travel and take my rehab letter for port of entry, or am I safer to wait for the eTA. Thanks in advance
Well more a case of will an airline let you board from March 15 without an ETA. I know they have announced some leeway in the March 15 date but will the airlines follow that might be the question.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Sarah1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

I see your point I was just wondering as CIC website is saying you can board your flight would the airlines refuse especially if they are going to lose passengers. If I could glean any info from them other than I'm 'in progress' it might be easier to see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Just an observational rant, but you'd think in this day where we are required to surrender as much info before even being allowed to board, the millions of $ already spent on eTAs, the Canadian government would have set a system up whereby an airline employee can run a logged "CitizenshipCheck(TM)" with an appropriate authorization code.

Actually i vote to call it "CanuckCheck".
Old Mar 16th 2016, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

As I understand it, the IAPI system will provide information to the airline, ensuring appropriate documentation and providing a board/no board message:

Perimeter security and economic competitiveness - Interactive Advance Passenger Information (IAPI)

S
Old Jun 11th 2016, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

But what if they don't want to?

It is now far easier and cheaper for a foreign national to visit Canada, than it is for a Canadian dual citizen who ordinarily resides in another country, and ordinarily uses that country's passport, consular support, etc. That's just ridiculous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.