Establish own business with OWP

Old Jan 31st 2011, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

SwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really nice
Post Establish own business with OWP

We are moving to Canada in June and will apply for TWP and OWP at POE. I am a Baker and have my own business here in the UK. Will it be possible for me to establish my own business (bakery) on an OWP? Does anybody have experience or done this before? We will be living in Vancouver, BC. Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:13 am
Just Joined

SwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really nice
Post Re: Establish own business with OWP

Hello everybody

Some views but no reply yet. Can anybody help?

Maybe I need to clarify a bit. My husband will apply for a TWP at Port of Entry (Intra Company Transfer) and I will apply at the same time for an Open Work Permit (Spouse).

Does anyone know if I will get the OWP on the spot or if the application might take longer than my husbands (I've read once that it could take up to a month)?

If I am successful in getting a Work Permit, will I be able to set up a business and work for my own business with an OWP (Vancouver, BC)?

It would be great to get some infos or thoughts. Many thanks!

Regards, Kristina
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:55 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Establish own business with OWP

I can help you with one bit , you will get your OWP at the same time.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:45 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

It is my understanding that you can't start a business in Canada on a work visa. You can as a permanent resident and of course as a Canadian Citizen.

Last edited by james.mc; Feb 2nd 2011 at 2:51 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

sandra wilson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I can only go on our own experience, and we did set up our own business here in BC whilst on a twp. As long as it's a canadian business (meaning incorporated in BC) which did'nt take much and cost us about $350. Must employ at least 1 Canadian.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

as long as you can pay cash.. no problem? getting a loan might be a totally different story...
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for your info and feedback.

I intend to open a small bakery from home (no loan needed), but in my experience it's better to operate it as a registered business. From what I can see and read so far, it should be possible to register a business in B.C.

I will let you know, when we're there and I know for sure....

Cheers, Kristina
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 10:19 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your venture all the same

We will also be setting up a business in Victoria, BC (as PR's) after landing, hopefully towards the end of this year.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

@james.mc

Good luck to you too
maybe we meet once in Vancouver/Victoria and can tell each other how easy it was to set up our businesses! (with help from the BE!)
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 6:09 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

hi

Originally Posted by SwissBread
Thank you all for your info and feedback.

I intend to open a small bakery from home (no loan needed), but in my experience it's better to operate it as a registered business. From what I can see and read so far, it should be possible to register a business in B.C.

I will let you know, when we're there and I know for sure....

Cheers, Kristina
Be careful, home business selling food, are pretty iffy when it comes to the inspection and what is required to be "legal" A friend was baking cinnamon buns to sell at local farmers markets in her area. Had an industrial oven installed etc. Had a visit from the local health inspector, the requirements to meet the municipal code, would take all the profit out of the venture.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

*nods and agrees* ...what PMM says.

Health regulations I believe are mostly provincially regulated as well, but through some "incidents" in the food industry..inspectors have been especially iffy (and the lil ones are easier to get than the big ones..but that is another story...the bigger the better (not!)
Old Feb 5th 2011, 4:56 pm
All Sooked up!

Originally Posted by SwissBread
@james.mc

Good luck to you too
maybe we meet once in Vancouver/Victoria and can tell each other how easy it was to set up our businesses! (with help from the BE!)
I'll take you up on that

We're still about a year away from getting there though (assuming all goes well)