Entry into Canada

Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:33 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry into Canada

Originally Posted by The Aviator
From an Immigration officer - yes. They go by rules not sentiment. If they don't buy your story, they won't let you in.
On the other hand its a well trodden path, people come here to live with fiances with a view to PR in the long term all the time.

They are pretty good at their job, so you just have to trust them I think. Certainly if you try being evasive or downright misleading I think there is a lot more to lose than to gain.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

SockMonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
On the other hand its a well trodden path, people come here to live with fiances with a view to PR in the long term all the time.

They are pretty good at their job, so you just have to trust them I think. Certainly if you try being evasive or downright misleading I think there is a lot more to lose than to gain.
My thoughts exactly. People do this all the time, as seen on this forum, and I don't believe I would be any less successful than anyone else, I just like to be prepared.

I have no reason to lie and I intend to do everything by the book, hopefully the immigration officer will see this.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice

Originally Posted by SockMonkey
Well I am very willing to leave if and when necessary to meet all obligations set forth by the immigration department but there are a multitude of reasons that I want to go about it the way I described:

I want to spend a more prolonged length of time with my girlfriend, we've known each other for a close to a decade and been in a serious relationship for just about a year but we have never done the 24/7 thing for more than 3 weeks at a stretch because of the distance. I've never spent the holiday season with her, from the October Thanksgiving through the New Year and I've not been through a Canadian winter. All of those things are important things to experience. If things work out as we hope then we get married in that time frame.

If I were to leave the country after 6 months I wouldn't be returning to the US, I would return home to England with my family, so the return ticket really wouldn't be of much use to me either way.

I don't want to be dishonest with anyone, I want to be with my girlfriend, is that too much to ask?
If you purchase a ticket to go back to England before your 6 months is up I think they will be more inclined to believe you are honest about leaving if things don't go as planned. If you have ample funds and a letter from you girlfriend saying you will be living with her for the duration of your stay that will also help you. After you get married you will need to apply for PR ASAP and extend your visitor's visa, when you do that you will need to prove, once more, that you are willing to leave should your PR not go as planned.
It really depends on the IO you get, I had problems at the border with a real piece of work who didn't believe my BUNAC permit was 'authentic' but I also had an IO who waved me through at one point so it is the luck of the draw!
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:11 am
Just Joined

I was planning on flying into Vancouver, would I be better off flying into Seattle and crossing the border with my girlfriend? Would it be better off them hearing from both of us that I'm staying with her and that I will not need to work during my visit? That's the way we've always crossed the border before, I was going to fly into Vancouver so it would be less driving for her this time is all.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

weaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really nice

Hey Dude,

Whichever way you enter Canada either through the US border or direct you will have an immigration person asking you questions. I will tell you how it went for me the first time and then after that.

I entered Canada at Edmonton airport back in November 2008. The idea was to spend six months with my then girlfriend to see how things went living in Canada and then go from there.

I was up front and honest about my intentions and showed him both proof of funds in the form of bank statements and also cash dollars. I had my girlfriends address with me and she was meeting me at the airport.

The guy asked quite a few questions and showed suspicion regarding my intention to leave Canada. Initially he was talking about 1 month and in the end managed to argue him up to nearly three months till the end of Jan.

The second time I came in I had a bunac VISA for a year so that was straight in very few questions asked.

The third time was at Vancouver and at that point I was married and the officer gave me six months on my passport. I had my wife with me as well and that did help.

I am not trying to scare you but be prepared to be asked questions. Give as simple as possible answers in return. The more information you provide means they have more questions to ask.

Simplicity and Honesty are the key.

Good luck, fingers crossed for ya.

Oh and with regards to extending your visitors visa once you have it... I did this via a postal application to Vegreville. I included our marriage certificate (copy) and explanations of our intentions regarding PR application done via London. About two months later I got back a 12 month extension.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply man.

I know I'm going to speak with an Immigration Officer regardless of how I enter, I just have a gut feeling it might be smoother if my girlfriend is with me at the border crossing by road so he can hear it from the both of us rather than just me. I've only entered Canada on the ground in the past alongside her.

As I've mentioned, I'm not trying to dupe anyone, I just want to make sure it goes as smooth as possible.

When you came in the first time did you have a return ticket for 6 months later which you then had to change or did you come in with a one way?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

weaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really niceweaver2008 is just really nice

Yeah when I came in I had booked the ticket for six months ahead on the assumption I would get six months. I did get a ticket that allowed you to change it though.

Good job too as it would have been very expensive otherwise. I did the same thing when I flew back for the bunac VISA as they always like to see a return flight booked and I just ended up changing the flight date each time I extended the VISA.

I think you are right about having her there. I was pretty nervous the first time I came in through Edmonton and its also a much smaller airport so maybe that counted against me. Might also be cheaper to go to Seattle as well. I had some friends who came to my wedding who flew to Seattle and then drove into BC as it was about $200 cheaper.

You are in the states now though is that right? If so would your ticket back to the UK be a one way thing. Or maybe I am getting confused here. I ask cause a one way ticket is often more expensive than a return booking via air Canada.

We Ended up Getting married in October 2009 and Applied via London for PR. This was approved 30 June 2010 and I just got my passport back so will be going to the US border to flag pole somewhere in Alberta to Land as its called.