Entry into Canada

Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:03 am
Just Joined

SockMonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entry into Canada

Hi everyone, been browsing for a while because I'm going to be moving to Canada but I have a question for anyone who can help.

I'm a UK citizen with a UK passport but have lived and worked in the US for the last several years as a permanent resident. I've visited my girlfriend in BC a couple of times this year for a couple of weeks at a time and would now like to make the move. I'm somewhat nervous about dealing with the immigration officer because the previous times I've entered they've asked about when I'm leaving, what I do for work and when my job is expecting me back, well I am leaving the US, and my job, and coming to Canada with a one way ticket so how will I satisfy the agent that I am not there to work or stay illegally? I know as an English citizen I should be able to stay for 6 months without extra papers etc, and I know that I can't work, but I still have to get through the border guard. Any advice?
Old Aug 18th 2010, 7:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry into Canada

I'm a bit confused, are you going for a long visit, or actually moving? If the latter, what visa are you moving on?

And welcome to the forum btw.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Sorry for not being clear.

The plan is to enter using the 6 month visitor program and then get married at some point during those 6 months.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 8:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SockMonkey
Sorry for not being clear.

The plan is to enter using the 6 month visitor program and then get married at some point during those 6 months.
Ah, ok, makes sense now! You'll need to get married quite early on if you want PR before your visitor visa expires, so do just bear that in mind.

I know that various people on the forum have done what you're going to do i.e. moved and married once there, so perhaps a search of the forum will bring up some info on how they managed entry to Canada with that intention.

Good luck with both the entry and the wedding.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks.

It's my understanding that they will probably extend my 6 month visitation to a 12 month one after marriage while the paperwork is continued, is this correct?

Yes, the entry is really my biggest question at the moment, I've browsed the forum for some time and have learned a lot but I haven't seen the way that people did this part, most experiences detailed here begin after the entry. I'll keep browsing and thanks again for your help.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 3:34 pm
moy
Just Joined

moy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
I did a similar thing.

I'm a British citizen, I came to Canada to marry my husband who lives here and to start my immigration proccess.

At the Border, don't worry - just listen to the questions.
I know it sounds silly, just give answers to the questions asked.
I actually had a return ticket for the duration of the 6months as safeguard that I had proof of returning back to UK and agreeing with the visitor visa terms.... as I had the intention of staying for 6months on the Visitor visa.
They most probably would ask you why you are staying for the duration you declare on the landing form, tell them you are getting married to your partner, that's what I did. They did send me to another queue for immigration... They'll remind you that you are not allowed to work or study and stamp your passport and will tell you how long your visitor visa will be for.

I'm actually not using up my whole 6months and returning home to UK after 3months. I have some loose ends to tie up in UK with property ect and we're going to take the sponsorship OUTLAND immigration route as apparently its a quicker proccess.
Will be returning back to Canada in 2-3 months... and will get another 6months visitor visa. Hoping that in that 6months I get that "golden" PR!!!
Otherwise I believe that I would have to apply to extend the visitor visa.

As I understand it you can come in and out of Canada whilst the immigration papers are being processed????
Old Aug 18th 2010, 3:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I know as an English citizen I should be able to stay for 6 months without extra papers etc, and I know that I can't work, but I still have to get through the border guard. Any advice?
The Visa waiver program to me doesnt seem to apply to your circumstances as you have no ties to the UK or the US now.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iaink
The Visa waiver program to me doesnt seem to apply to your circumstances as you have no ties to the UK or the US now.
What does this mean?
Old Aug 18th 2010, 5:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

What does this mean?
To visit Canada, you must:

-have a valid travel document, such as a passport
-be in good health
-satisfy an immigration officer that you have ties, such as a job, home and family, that will take you back to your country of origin
-satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit and
-have enough money for your stay. The amount of money you will need can vary with the circumstances of the visit, how long you will stay and whether you will stay in a hotel or with friends or relatives. For more information, ask the Canadian visa office in your country or region.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-who.asp

Generally speaking some form of onward or return travel might be seen as proof you will leave, but as I see it you dont have ties to the US, you have no ties to UK, so they wont (or shouldnt) let you into canada based on your Visa waiver passport alone.

Having a UK passport is not in your case a magic wand that lets you into canada for 6 months no questions asked Im afraid.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, I've considered the return ticket thing for that reason. I do have lots of family ties in the UK of course.

This is my biggest worry, I just want things to go smoothly so I can be with my girl.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 5:42 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Technically you'd be entering Canada under false pretences. To be eligible for the visa waiver you have to have the intention of leaving by the end of your visa. You're entering without the intention of leaving, and the CBSA has every right, if they find that out, of denying you entry. And if they deny you entry once, then getting back in will be a lot more difficult.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Thats nonsense, that's like saying everyone on a work permit is coming under false pretenses because they're planning to apply for PR and stay beyond the expiration date which says you must leave Canada by. Circumstances are allowed to change whilst you're in Canada.

As long has he enters with the intention of leaving if he doesn't get married, it's fine.

That being said, the US does have a fiancé visa for that very purpose, but Canada has no such equivalent.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Thats nonsense, that's like saying everyone on a work permit is coming under false pretenses because they're planning to apply for PR and stay beyond the expiration date which says you must leave Canada by. Circumstances are allowed to change whilst you're in Canada.

As long has he enters with the intention of leaving if he doesn't get married, it's fine.

That being said, the US does have a fiancé visa for that very purpose, but Canada has no such equivalent.
Not really, A TWP is pretty specific about what it allows.

Ultimately what you or I think matters not a jot, its what the Immigration officer at the point of entry thinks.

Many many people have come to Canada to be with their partner pending marriage and later on PR, whats important is that the IO is satisfied you are:

A: TELLING THE TRUTH

B: Prepared to leave if necessary.

How you go about that is the problem.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Well I am very willing to leave if and when necessary to meet all obligations set forth by the immigration department but there are a multitude of reasons that I want to go about it the way I described:

I want to spend a more prolonged length of time with my girlfriend, we've known each other for a close to a decade and been in a serious relationship for just about a year but we have never done the 24/7 thing for more than 3 weeks at a stretch because of the distance. I've never spent the holiday season with her, from the October Thanksgiving through the New Year and I've not been through a Canadian winter. All of those things are important things to experience. If things work out as we hope then we get married in that time frame.

If I were to leave the country after 6 months I wouldn't be returning to the US, I would return home to England with my family, so the return ticket really wouldn't be of much use to me either way.

I don't want to be dishonest with anyone, I want to be with my girlfriend, is that too much to ask?
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:28 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I want to be with my girlfriend, is that too much to ask?
From an Immigration officer - yes. They go by rules not sentiment. If they don't buy your story, they won't let you in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.