Entering and Reentering

Old Aug 19th 2004, 10:29 am
Just Joined

ShonaEnisor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entering and Reentering

Hi everyone,

I entered the US as a British citizen on the VWP but have recently received my temporary Canadian passport, which I applied for before I left the UK as I am also a Canadian citizen but have never lived there.

My question is, I have to leave the US before the 19th of September, and I want to go across the border to Canada. I also want it to register that I have left so it doesn't seem as though I have overstayed on my British passport, but I want to enter Canada on my Canadian passport.....!! Does that make sense?

Can anyone give me any advice on this?!

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 11:05 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Entering and Reentering

There is no exit control in US implemented yet, so your exit can't even be recorded if you are not flying on commercial flight. But even if you would fly then you would check-in using your UK passport and then once landed in Canada you enter using your Canadian passport, no big deal.

Originally Posted by ShonaEnisor
Hi everyone,

I entered the US as a British citizen on the VWP but have recently received my temporary Canadian passport, which I applied for before I left the UK as I am also a Canadian citizen but have never lived there.

My question is, I have to leave the US before the 19th of September, and I want to go across the border to Canada. I also want it to register that I have left so it doesn't seem as though I have overstayed on my British passport, but I want to enter Canada on my Canadian passport.....!! Does that make sense?

Can anyone give me any advice on this?!

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 12:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
There is no exit control in US implemented yet, so your exit can't even be recorded if you are not flying on commercial flight. But even if you would fly then you would check-in using your UK passport and then once landed in Canada you enter using your Canadian passport, no big deal.
Despite getting a Canadian passport I think he ought to make sure he:

- leaves the US before his 90 day admission is up
- makes sure his I94W is returned in the appropriate manner.

Jeremy
Old Aug 19th 2004, 1:30 pm

When flying then I94 should be removed at check-in

When driving it may be given to Canadian officer or if someone wants to make sure that it gets to Americans then it is easy to stop at the border, handle I94 to Americans and then continue to Canadian booth.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Despite getting a Canadian passport I think he ought to make sure he:

- leaves the US before his 90 day admission is up
- makes sure his I94W is returned in the appropriate manner.

Jeremy
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

When flying then I94 should be removed at check-in

When driving it may be given to Canadian officer or if someone wants to make sure that it gets to Americans then it is easy to stop at the border, handle I94 to Americans and then continue to Canadian booth.
Hi, I appreciate the help.

So I could give up my I94 at the border, and then enter with my Canadian passport? Are there two different booths for this?

Thanks again.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:43 pm

It depends which border crossing you'll be using. Some have US and Canadian officers sharing the same building, while on others US and Canadian booths are half a mile or more apart.

Hi, I appreciate the help.

So I could give up my I94 at the border, and then enter with my Canadian passport? Are there two different booths for this?

Thanks again.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 6:19 am
Just Joined

It depends which border crossing you'll be using. Some have US and Canadian officers sharing the same building, while on others US and Canadian booths are half a mile or more apart.
Mr Miller, thank you.

Is there anyway of finding out which border is best to cross using my choosen method of handing over my I94 and entering with a Canadian Passport? Like a website or something?

Secondly, I want to go to Canada for a few weeks to see some family, but then I would like to re-enter the US on my Canadian passport to continue to visit my US family. Difficult to tell I know, but can you see any obvious problems with this?
Old Aug 20th 2004, 6:28 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Mr Miller, thank you.

Is there anyway of finding out which border is best to cross using my choosen method of handing over my I94 and entering with a Canadian Passport? Like a website or something?

Secondly, I want to go to Canada for a few weeks to see some family, but then I would like to re-enter the US on my Canadian passport to continue to visit my US family. Difficult to tell I know, but can you see any obvious problems with this?
It doesn't matter, you can drop it off at Canadian Immigration as well and they will forward it to the US for you. No problems.

PMM