Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Entering Canada without PR card via the Peace Bridge (or any land crossing)

Entering Canada without PR card via the Peace Bridge (or any land crossing)

Old Dec 9th 2022, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

DeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Entering Canada without PR card via the Peace Bridge (or any land crossing)

I'm a PR living outside of Canada with Canadian partner; have had a multi-entry PRTD since earlier this year but expires in March next year.

We'll be returning to Canada but not until most likely June. I really don't want to do another PRTD if I can avoid it – particularly as one of the first things I'll have to do upon reaching Canada is an application for a PR card – and was considering trying to enter via the US.

IRCC says you can drive a private vehicle from the US without needing a PR card / PRTD, but does anybody know or have experience of whether you can simply walk over via the Peace Bridge at Niagara (or any other land crossing)? It would most likely be just me although my partner may also come (her job's continuing through to the end of next year, I'm returning to set up place to live, etc. before she does). I have an expired PR card and the soon-to-expire PRTD and could provide the same relationship proof as from my PRTD application.

In theory it seems that it wouldn't make a difference whether you're in a car or on foot, but I'd love to hear from anyone who's tried it or heard about anyone who has.
Old Dec 9th 2022, 2:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering Canada without PR card via the Peace Bridge (or any land crossing)

How long have you been outside of Canada for? If it's long enough to not meet the usual requirement of 2 years in 5, personally I wouldn't risk it. I know that you meet that requirement by being with your Canadian partner, but it would make it quite risky to try and enter and be able to prove that to an immi officers' satisfaction.

If you have spent long enough in Canada that a quick look at entry/exit dates will easily show you're still a PR, then you can do it on foot.

HTH.
Old Dec 9th 2022, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

DeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering Canada without PR card via the Peace Bridge (or any land crossing)

Thanks for your reply, christmasoompa.

I've been out of Canada for most of the past five years, and you're probably right that it'd be a risk – a CBSA agent might not have the ability or inclination to check verify a claim of maintaining residency through living with a spouse.
Old Dec 10th 2022, 8:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanN
Thanks for your reply, christmasoompa.

I've been out of Canada for most of the past five years, and you're probably right that it'd be a risk – a CBSA agent might not have the ability or inclination to check verify a claim of maintaining residency through living with a spouse.
It's just a riskier way of doing it, personally I'd get another PRTD, but your call.
Old Dec 11th 2022, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

You're probably right. Bit of a pain having to go through the process of PRTD application followed shortly after by one for a PR card – although I guess everyone who uses PRTD has to do it, and the one benefit is the required documents are very similar for both.