Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Entering Canada while Spousal Visa in process?

Entering Canada while Spousal Visa in process?

Old Jun 30th 2012, 1:42 am
Just Joined

canuckabroad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entering Canada while Spousal Visa in process?

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. We applied for the Spousal Visa outland via London, as we are presently living in the UK. I've just been approved as my husband's sponsor (June 8th), and understand that the second half of the processing will take place at the Consulate in London shortly. With a timeline of roughly 3 months at the London office, we should be hearing something at the end of August/early September.

As I have to be back in Canada for a wedding at the end of August (and this seems to be round and about the time we would hear back on his end of the visa), does anyone know if it is possible for us to wait for the decision [I]in[I] Canada? It seems a waste to come all the way back if we don't have to, only to leave again potentially within the month/weeks as ticket prices are astronomical at the moment! If this is the case, would we have to let anyone at the consulate know?

Thanks everyone!
Old Jun 30th 2012, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Deficient has a spectacular aura aboutDeficient has a spectacular aura aboutDeficient has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Entering Canada while Spousal Visa in process?

You would have to notify the visa office of the change of address of course, as they have to send the COPR.

I am sure a few people on this forum have waited out the processing with the applicant in Canada on visitor status. The important thing seemingly is that you disclose your intentions at the border and give assurances that your husband will leave if the application were unsuccessful (a refundable return ticket perhaps?).

You seem to be on the same timeline as me, we also got sponsor approval on 8th June. My husband (sponsor) is already in Canada but I'll be moving over mid-September with or without the COPR in hand (like you, we have a wedding to attend) and as far as I'm aware, it's not a problem.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

richtee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by canuckabroad
Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. We applied for the Spousal Visa outland via London, as we are presently living in the UK. I've just been approved as my husband's sponsor (June 8th), and understand that the second half of the processing will take place at the Consulate in London shortly. With a timeline of roughly 3 months at the London office, we should be hearing something at the end of August/early September.

As I have to be back in Canada for a wedding at the end of August (and this seems to be round and about the time we would hear back on his end of the visa), does anyone know if it is possible for us to wait for the decision [I]in[I] Canada? It seems a waste to come all the way back if we don't have to, only to leave again potentially within the month/weeks as ticket prices are astronomical at the moment! If this is the case, would we have to let anyone at the consulate know?

Thanks everyone!
just out of interest, when did you send your application to Canada (just curios about current time lines for sponsor approval).

Thanks
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Yes you can, but they don't advise you enter canada whilst waiting on a decision as if you get denied entry / rejected a visitor visa, they will throw out your application - thats what I was told, not sure if others agree.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There is also the if doing the outland application you could have to go back to the UK for an interview at short notice.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:59 am
Just Joined

adrianv is an unknown quantity at this point

My experience was that I did visit Canada during my application for a week at a time, so I had a return ticket in hand. I was actually in Canada when I got my decision for PR. I suggest you leave it as an out of country application and suck up the airfare otherwise (pure speculation here) they may convert it to an in country application, which is much slower.

My opinion: The simpler you keep it, the more likely your application will proceed without a hitch.