Entering Canada from Vermont

Old Jul 26th 2011, 11:04 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Entering Canada from Vermont

Hello,
Could someone please tell me the deal when entering Canada from Vermont. We are all US and British citizens living in the US. (Hubs, me, and bio son 6) Do we need to show passports or is a drivers license sufficient.
We are traveling up from NJ and stay a few days in Stratton, VT and want to drive up to Quebec City for a couple of nights.
Our other issue is that we have a US foster son (3) and I'm assuming he would need a passport? I know he would definitely need permission from the state and bio mother. It looks like we may unfortunately have to put him in a respite home for the week as I don't think he is going to be able to travel to Canada without a passport and it's too late to get him one.

Thanks for your input!
Old Jul 26th 2011, 11:17 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering Canada from Vermont

Originally Posted by moi
Hello,
Could someone please tell me the deal when entering Canada from Vermont. We are all US and British citizens living in the US. (Hubs, me, and bio son 6) Do we need to show passports or is a drivers license sufficient.
We are traveling up from NJ and stay a few days in Stratton, VT and want to drive up to Quebec City for a couple of nights.
Our other issue is that we have a US foster son (3) and I'm assuming he would need a passport? I know he would definitely need permission from the state and bio mother. It looks like we may unfortunately have to put him in a respite home for the week as I don't think he is going to be able to travel to Canada without a passport and it's too late to get him one.

Thanks for your input!
Passport or Enhanced drivers license.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...he.Border.html
Old Jul 27th 2011, 12:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moi
Leaving him behind in a "respite home" for a week sounds a little harsh ... is it really so important to go to Canada at this point? Can you remain on the US side of the frontier?

Understood however that you're already doing a lot by looking after the child, so it depends on how you feel about leaving him behind.

Last edited by JAJ; Jul 27th 2011 at 1:11 am.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 1:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It appears that a passport might not be needed for US citizen children on the land frontier but you would need a birth certificate at a minimum.
http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/p...-eng.html#s1x2

Plus, as a minimum, a letter from the state authorities authorizing the trip. Unclear if you need one from the parent as well, if you have one from the state. Something you should discuss with the state authorities.

You will still have a risk of a delay at the frontier, especially entering Canada, and they could still refuse entry (to Canada, at least). Not clear if you would want the risk/hassle of a border crossing in this situation. Also, if documents were to be lost while you are in Canada, it would be a mess.