Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Entering Canada from US without PR card

Entering Canada from US without PR card

Old Dec 18th 2009, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering Canada from US without PR card

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Kiss it Mrs
You wish
Old Jan 8th 2010, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

newbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nice

I have an important update.

I crossed into US on dec 4th to Odgenburg and came back on the same day.
Inside Officer was slightly friendly and had given me 6 months B2 Visa I-94 expiring in June. I came back on the same day. Officer had said that I-94 is
multiple entry can be used for many visits upto expiry.

Next time on Dec 16, I went to US at highway 81 ( thousand islands area) with my wife (Indian Citizen)
and son ( Canadian Citizen ). The officers were not friendly. Inside officer gave
my wife 6 months B2 Visa and had told her to return it when she returns.
Why give multiple entry if we have to return it ?
I dropped them to Syracuse airport and came back to Canada.

Next time I went in on jan 6 , with the same I-94, officer was angry and was wondering
why I did not return I-94. I said original officer had told me it is multiple entry and
can be re-used, but another officer had asked me to retuen it.
I said I got confused and did not quite understand.
He showed back of I-94 which had "written as return to Canadian
Customs". Canadian officer did not take it. Then whoose fault it is ?
If they want to ensure everyone hands back the I-94 departure,
they should have some of their own officers collect it on exit and should
not vent their anger on visitors.
If you have a rule or law enforce it. But do not confuse us.
Nobody is at nobody's mercy.

Officer even threatened not to let me in and as well as cancel my 10 year Visa.
But cooled down eventually and did the right thing of letting me in.

So, I think I-94 multiple entry is very unlcear.
They should clarify.

Now on return to Canada, I handed them back to Canadian Customs (After going in and asking myself)
on return, Now I have to get new I-94 if I have to go again in the Spring.

I-94 = ( $6, interview, min 1/2 hour-time, fingerprint)

It looks like they want to make $6 for I-94, finger printing on every visit
for people like us.
The idea of multiple entry I-94 is like a brain-wash.

This kind of treatment for a person who stayed in US lawfully for 5 years
and left lawfully and now Canadian Permanent Resident.

Last edited by newbee; Jan 8th 2010 at 3:17 am.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

I disagree with the returning, my husband is brit we always do the shopping thing when we go home to visit. He gets visa at what ever Ont border we cross, when we return (always same day) we either return the visa if we are not crossing again during our visit, or keep it if we are going back within the time frame of our visit. We have never had a problem keeping it. We did forget once and when we left Toronto we sent it to the US immigration at the airport. sorted
We also forgot on a 2nd occasion, I say we I mean HIM! and we had a friend who lives in states take it back with him and he handed it in when he went thru US immgration upon landing. sorted

We have had both miserable US and CDN officers, about 50/50. They are more snotty if it is him and I, they are all good when we have the grand kids with us (which I might add no one ever has ever asked us if they were our kids or where parents were!)
So is swings and roundabouts, hit and miss if they are in good mood or snotty mood...be friendy, courtious and do not offer any information they do not ask for.