Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Entering Canada from US without PR card

Entering Canada from US without PR card

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

newbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nice
Default Entering Canada from US without PR card

Hello,

I have to travel to US (Syracuse, NY)
and comeback. When I checked my cards, I realized
that I lost my PR card! There is not much time left to get it back before
December 15.

Can I leave Canada without PR card and comeback probably
with
- Confirmation of PR (IMM 5292), Passport (Citizen of India) and ontario driver's license
and proof of adress and employment here in Canada (Ottawa ) ???

on my own car (private vehicle).

I have IMM 5292 and do not have any other documents.

Is travel document is needed ??

I am most linkey to use Kingston, ON crossing to USA.
I am living in Canada since last 5 years.

Your quick and correct and detailed reply is apprecited

sincerly,
newbee

Last edited by newbee; Dec 3rd 2009 at 2:09 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering Canada from US without PR card

PR Card is not needed on the land frontier.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

Call them and ask, I have the same issue, i applied for my card and it hasnt come in yet, I need to go get a travel document at a consulate office in NYC while I am on vacation, your circumstances may be different but I would just call and ask. 1-888-242-2100

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/informa...card-faq12.asp

Originally Posted by newbee
Hello,

I have to travel to US (Syracuse, NY)
and comeback. When I checked my cards, I realized
that I lost my PR card! There is not much time left to get it back before
December 15.

Can I leave Canada without PR card and comeback probably
with
- Confirmation of PR (IMM 5292), Passport (Citizen of India) and ontario driver's license
and proof of adress and employment here in Canada (Ottawa ) ???

on my own car (private vehicle).

I have IMM 5292 and do not have any other documents.

Is travel document is needed ??

I am most linkey to use Kingston, ON crossing to USA.
I am living in Canada since last 5 years.

Your quick and correct and detailed reply is apprecited

sincerly,
newbee
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 11:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dawnzocalgary
Call them and ask, I have the same issue, i applied for my card and it hasnt come in yet, I need to go get a travel document at a consulate office in NYC while I am on vacation, your circumstances may be different but I would just call and ask. 1-888-242-2100

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/informa...card-faq12.asp
If you read that link again you will see that PR Card and travel document is not needed on the land frontier.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

newbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nice

Thanks for the reply.

I was able to cross 2 times with landing document using my car from Ontario
to New york at 2 crossing points.

The US border guards were rude and arrogant. Just be prepared.
They have guns, may be tasers and what not.
They assume you are a criminal and can harass you! You need to prove that you are not criminal
Another thing is they have a high tech automatic photo. It clicks as you drive to the agent.
Who pays for all these ? Travellers. $6 per head for I-94.
They will fingerprint you (Canadian citizens excepted, I do not know about other Visa waiver countires)
Their questioning is irrational and they can frustrate you, but
keep your cool. They can ask unrelated question.
My friend was mentioning that lot of them are poorly educated and
are trained to be rude and arrogant. When they can trouble
ordinary people, real terrorists slip through.
Visit US only when it is absolutely necessary.
If no traveller visits or it's number comes down, then US comes to it's senses.
I don't think US is worth visiting.

Canadian border agents were all professional and had no problem at all.

Last edited by newbee; Dec 16th 2009 at 3:02 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

Smokes!!! I got there, via plane and went to Canadian Consulate whilst there to get a travel document to allow me to get back to Canada, getting out wasnt an issue and I have to say, Canadian customs were far more rude to me than those in NYC.

In Calgary we ended up getting searched as we had baby formula, well who knows but they said we had a substance that contravened security and that was the only substance we had, after having them dismantle my stroller and give it back to me to re assemble whilst im trying to carry my 6 month old, and put all of our luggage back together that they had been through(whilst OH is off being searched), all a little stressful and i should add al of this was happening while our flight was boarding.
Then when i went to consulate to get my travel document customs wouldnt allow my 6 month to enter the office as he wasnt getting a visa, something i wasnt prepared for, so OH had to walk the streets for 3 hours while I waited on our travel documents!

US customs were super nice, and offered us help at the airport, the stroller wasnt dismantled, we werent search and had no issues phew!! Getting home was a little less stressful

Thanks for the reply.

They assume you are a criminal and can harass you! You need to prove that you are not criminal
Another thing is they have a high tech automatic photo. It clicks as you drive to the agent.
They will fingerprint you (Canadian citizens excepted, I do not know about other Visa waiver countires)

Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

Thanks for the reply.

Sums up my Visit yesterday, I will try to stay out of the US as long as possible until I have to or am told to visit!

Got berated times for not handing in the green waver card from 2008 - it was like a broken recored.

On the other hand it was a pleasure dealing with the Canadian Boarder Guard on the way back.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

US Customs super nice ??
That may be a rare exception. 1 in a million case.

I have asked lot of people, even Candian Citizens,
US citizens.

Everybody told me US customs ie., border guards
were rude to them.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:18 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Really it's luck of the draw, I've crossed close to 40 times in the last year and I'm getting to know which ones are the arseholes on both sides.... Granted there's more US ones than Canadian, but there's some Canadian ones too....

For example, crossed into the US the other week, had a chat to the guard about baseball and football (soccer) then went on my way....

Came back and got the guy at the Canadian border who quite visibly gets annoyed by me having a work permit (had him before, same thing), got arsey with me and then sent me in to pay taxes on a pathetic amount - normally would be let through with this amount.....

Last edited by G77; Dec 17th 2009 at 2:22 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Really it's luck of the draw, I've crossed close to 40 times in the last year and I'm getting to know which ones are the arseholes on both sides.... Granted there's more US ones than Canadian, but there's some Canadian ones too....

For example, crossed into the US the other week, had a chat to the guard about baseball and football (soccer) then went on my way....

Came back and got the guy at the Canadian border who quite visibly gets annoyed by me having a work permit (had him before, same thing), got arsey with me and then sent me in to pay taxes on a pathetic amount - normally would be let through with this amount.....

Wonder why they are so rude, ok 9/11 but for goodness sake can't people be civil ? sorry to hear about the problems with the stroller and baby Dawnzocalgary that really stinks treating a family like that,

We were thinking of crossing to Canada from the states from what you have all said i think we will fly in hopefully less hassle
Old Dec 18th 2009, 1:52 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Wonder why they are so rude, ok 9/11 but for goodness sake can't people be civil ? sorry to hear about the problems with the stroller and baby Dawnzocalgary that really stinks treating a family like that,

We were thinking of crossing to Canada from the states from what you have all said i think we will fly in hopefully less hassle
I don't take offence anymore, really I think it's just an act.... If they were pleasant and welcoming then it would be easier for the real criminals (and I'm talking drug/guns/people etc smugglers, not necessarily terrorists) to smile and lie.... What they do is play a game by throwing things at you to catch you off your guard - like you say you're going shopping, they say "oh, what for?" that kind of thing, secondary questions that if you weren't telling the truth, you might not have an answer for. This has stepped up notably since Obama came in and put that new woman in charge (the one that believes the 9/11 hijackers came across from Canada )
Old Dec 18th 2009, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

I think its just all in the training they receive, being rude and mean, and see how much people can fear them, maybe a power thing....i dunno!!

Originally Posted by G77
I don't take offence anymore, really I think it's just an act.... If they were pleasant and welcoming then it would be easier for the real criminals (and I'm talking drug/guns/people etc smugglers, not necessarily terrorists) to smile and lie.... What they do is play a game by throwing things at you to catch you off your guard - like you say you're going shopping, they say "oh, what for?" that kind of thing, secondary questions that if you weren't telling the truth, you might not have an answer for. This has stepped up notably since Obama came in and put that new woman in charge (the one that believes the 9/11 hijackers came across from Canada )
Old Dec 18th 2009, 4:14 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Never had a problem with US border control (entered 18 times since 1994), of the 14 times I've entered Canada since March 2004 I've had Pleasant Officers on 4 occassions
Old Dec 18th 2009, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Never had a problem with US border control (entered 18 times since 1994), of the 14 times I've entered Canada since March 2004 I've had Pleasant Officers on 4 occassions
ah but thats you Butch not everyone likes a body search xx
Old Dec 18th 2009, 7:47 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
ah but thats you Butch not everyone likes a body search xx
Kiss it Mrs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.