Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Entering Canada if PR Card delayed?

Entering Canada if PR Card delayed?

Old Jul 18th 2016, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Entering Canada if PR Card delayed?

Thinking ahead a bit here. I was concerned about another thread which talks about taking well over six months to get the first PR card issued.

If / when we get spousal approval for my wife for PR and her COPR, she was keen to take a 10 day preparation trip to Canada to speak to Realtors, Banks, etc. This may be 3 - 6 months before we are both then ready to make the actual residence trip.

I was wondering if my wife should activate PR on the first trip (and have the card sent to a friends address in Canada where we will stay for the first couple of weeks then have him send it to us in the UK by courier). Advantage: It gets the PR card issued and done.

But I am worried that the card may take ages to arrive and would not want that to delay our residence trip.

Would I be better to simply leave it and have her 'visit' on the set up trip, THEN activate PR on our actual residence trip (probably....), OR is there a way that we could we make the residence move anyway in the event that the PR card was delayed (is there some sort of proof she would get that it has been approved and simply not yet issued etc.)?

She has a British passport and is already registered under Canadian ETA.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering Canada if PR Card delayed?

Once she does the landing she is then considered a PR therefore if travelling back to Canada via a commercial carrier she would need the valid PR card.
Initial issuance of PR cards is quicker than renewals and they will only be sent to a Canadian address.
Doing the visiting thing IMHO is the easiest then when she finally moves then do the official landing.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Doing the visiting thing IMHO is the easiest then when she finally moves then do the official landing.
I am swinging around to this as well now. I really don't want to create more 'can't do x until y' situations than absolutely necessary.

Just hoping they send the papers to Ottawa once I am approved - their shorter timescales give us a lot more options!

Thanks for your input.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it, an eTA is automatically cancelled once someone becomes a PR (I.e once they've landed).

S
Old Jul 29th 2016, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

My PR card arrived within 6 weeks of landing. I also had no issue whatsoever travelling with just my landing paperwork (I went on 4 different work trips to the US in between landing and getting my PR card today)