Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

english tests? for british nationals

english tests? for british nationals

Old Dec 5th 2011, 1:46 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: english tests? for british nationals

I wonder how an english speaking Canadian would fair on an IELTS exam?
Old Dec 5th 2011, 2:42 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Okay then - I took it 3 years ago and got the 99th percentile. I did not like having to take it (for a license) but everyone had to do it. That is the situation with Canada Immigration's requirement so live with it.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 2:59 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Okay then - I took it 3 years ago and got the 99th percentile. I did not like having to take it (for a license) but everyone had to do it. That is the situation with Canada Immigration's requirement so live with it.
Not quite sure what your point is here?..mine was just a query..people here seem to feel a bit nervous or concerned about taking the test..i was wondering with regard to the general public who would fair better on the test Canadians or Brits?
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:14 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

My point is that this thread has become worn out. Canadian's speak English as well as Brits albeit with a different accent and slight changes in vocabulary. There is nothing more really to be said. The requirement is a fact, albeit an annoying one for mother tongue speakers of English.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

My point is that this thread has become worn out.
Actually you're right.

It seems the majority understand why it is needed.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite sure what your point is here?..mine was just a query..people here seem to feel a bit nervous or concerned about taking the test..i was wondering with regard to the general public who would fair better on the test Canadians or Brits?
The test I did had source material (written and spoken) from the UK, North America and Australia/New Zealand. I did the test in Calgary and I remember there was a Canadian there (complete with Flames shirt!) who was doing the test for Australian visa purposes. I'm sure first tongue English speakers from either Canada or UK would do equally well.

I think making everyone do the test is to the advantage of UK applicants - it can only have the effect of reducing the total number of applicants compared to the previous system where poor English speakers could clearly cheat the system. UK applicants will therefore be further advanced in the queue compared to where they would have been.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 5:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter did it as part of emigrating to the UK. I believe she scored 9, enough anyway.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

elclandestino is an unknown quantity at this point

Some Brits definitely need it

Anyways, the idea is plain stupid and just a way to milk out some cash
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:00 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elclandestino
Some Brits definitely need it

Anyways, the idea is plain stupid and just a way to milk out some cash
Do you mean 'plainly stupid' ?
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:24 pm

I am begging for one of the monitors to close this thread, Everyone has now had sufficient opportunity to vent!
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Sarah77 will become famous soon enough

Hello!

I've just seen the light and am emigrating to Quebec. Very excited!
These forums are great. I was going to use a lawyer to help me along with the visa but going to go alone. Thanks for your help in advance!

Do I need this IELTS for the Quebec Skilled Person's visa, does anyone know? I have of instructions and the French test is required but it doesn't mention the English one. Happy to do it though. Will that come after the CSQ when I apply for Canadian emigration?

Thanks in advance!
Sarah
Old Dec 5th 2011, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

madisonavenue is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Am I right in thinking that only the principal applicant has to take the English test for the Quebec application? I can't find any information on the application form or in the notes to support this.

Thanks
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I am begging for one of the monitors to close this thread, Everyone has now had sufficient opportunity to vent!
Jim, if you feel something needs action then please use the report button to tell us - I haven't looked at this thread for days so wasn't aware that you felt it should be closed. Funnily enough, our psychic powers aren't that good.

Anyway, as it now has new queries I'll leave it open, but if you feel it needs new action in the future do bring it to our attention as we just don't read every post/thread.

Old Dec 6th 2011, 10:12 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

My point is that this thread has become worn out. Canadian's speak English as well as Brits albeit with a different accent and slight changes in vocabulary. There is nothing more really to be said. The requirement is a fact, albeit an annoying one for mother tongue speakers of English.
How well put! This is an irritation I am sure for the Britons who have had to do it - my Canadian husband had to take one some years back in the UK (for immigration) and has recently had to do one this year (not for immigration purposes) to prove he can speak English in Malta and then again in Canada last month (again not for immigration). It just IS a requirement, and whining and bitching and moaning about the bloody thing won't change a blasted jot, just pay for it, do it - hopefully pass it - and move on.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 10:18 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by madisonavenue
Hi

Am I right in thinking that only the principal applicant has to take the English test for the Quebec application? I can't find any information on the application form or in the notes to support this.

Thanks
I had a look at the Quebec immigration website (pretty nice site btw) and found the equivalent FSW application form:

http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.q...ficate-dyn.pdf

Question 11: Language skills in French and English
For purposes of assessing your langauge skills in French (principal applicant and spouse) and in English (principal applicant only),
you must enclose an attestation of a test score or diploma recognized by the Ministère de l’Immigration et des Communautés
culturelles (MICC). The originals of attestations of results must be enclosed with this application. If you are not submitting tests, you
must so indicate by checkjing the appropriate box.

So yes, I think you are right.