Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

The english test for CIC - IELTS vs CELPIP?

The english test for CIC - IELTS vs CELPIP?

Old Oct 24th 2015, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

jmtormey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The english test for CIC - IELTS vs CELPIP?

Hi there

My family are applying for the EE program but our points are only 441 .

Despite being English , and having English as my first language, I did not get max points in the IELTS...
I guess I didn't take the exam seriously at all (I just presumed I would get max points) and then ended up only getting 7 points on the written part.
My scores were:
Listening 8.5,
Reading 8.5,
Writing 7.0,
Speaking 9.0,
Overall 8.5

Anyway, many people have recommended I resit the IELTS in order to maximise my points for the EE and hopefully that will mean we are more likely to get the ITA. If i can bring my written score up it means an additional 2 points for our EE score...

The next IELTS test date that suits me is December 5 . But there is a CELPIP next week.
Has any native English speaker done both and how do they compare?
I really only want to do the exam if I can improve on my scores so wonder should I just stick with the IELTS as I know how it works or will I go with the CELPIP as it is so much sooner - 1 week wait other than 6...

Thanks all!
Old Oct 24th 2015, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The english test for CIC - IELTS vs CELPIP?

I doubt many people get full marks anyway.

I found CELPIP to be better as it's all on computer and my handwriting is pretty terrible. The speaking part is a bit harder as you are basically talking to a machine.

BTW, 443 points is still unlikely to get you an ITA. Indeed the points have just gone back up to 489.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 12:56 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The english test for CIC - IELTS vs CELPIP?

Originally Posted by bc2015
BTW, 443 points is still unlikely to get you an ITA. Indeed the points have just gone back up to 489.
Doesn't mean they will stay at 489. They have been going up and down all year but stayed constant at 450 for the last few draws.

If the OP can get 450+ they might be in with a chance. The new government apparently want to make things easier for people applying through EE but we shall see.

Fingers crossed the points go back down to 450 again