Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

English sparky in France - wanting to move to Canada

English sparky in France - wanting to move to Canada

Old Jul 27th 2015, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: English sparky in France - wanting to move to Canada

If you have C&G 236 part 1 & 2 and have been assessed by AIT as having sufficient hands on experience in the trade you will only need to pass the IP exam, if you are assessed as not meeting the minimum requirements you may be credited to a third year apprentice if this is the case you will need to pass the end of year and CQ before taking the IP. The trick is getting all the work experience together when I did it most of my previous employers had changed hands or were no more apart from that I had my own business for 5 years so I put myself down as the contact. funny thing was when they checked up on application I received a call from AIT asking me to confirm that I had worked for me and type of work I had done (so not that arduous to qualify).

Right now the work has plateaued with oil prices low and the NDP coming to power, but you need to put a resume together along with cover letter setting out your intentions to potential employers. I would start with Electrical Contractors Association of Alberta - ECAA and contact these guys always follow up with a phone call short list some for interviews and book a trip over.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
If you have C&G 236 part 1 & 2 and have been assessed by AIT as having sufficient hands on experience in the trade you will only need to pass the IP exam, if you are assessed as not meeting the minimum requirements you may be credited to a third year apprentice if this is the case you will need to pass the end of year and CQ before taking the IP. The trick is getting all the work experience together when I did it most of my previous employers had changed hands or were no more apart from that I had my own business for 5 years so I put myself down as the contact. funny thing was when they checked up on application I received a call from AIT asking me to confirm that I had worked for me and type of work I had done (so not that arduous to qualify).

Right now the work has plateaued with oil prices low and the NDP coming to power, but you need to put a resume together along with cover letter setting out your intentions to potential employers. I would start with Electrical Contractors Association of Alberta - ECAA and contact these guys always follow up with a phone call short list some for interviews and book a trip over.
Unless its changed very recently (i.e. in the last month) then there is also the practical exam (which is part of the IP) which only applies to potential immigrants
Old Jul 28th 2015, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Unless its changed very recently (i.e. in the last month) then there is also the practical exam (which is part of the IP) which only applies to potential immigrants
Some good adivce
I am in the process of getting my experience assessed ,if you are working n Canada as a electrician then you don't need to sit the practical exam.
All you do is get the journeyman or company you are working for to sign a declaration that the duties you do is the same as a journeyman.
I was told this when I applied.
Hope this helps.