Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

English sparky in France - wanting to move to Canada

English sparky in France - wanting to move to Canada

Old Nov 1st 2014, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Dudz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English sparky in France - wanting to move to Canada

I have lived in N. France with my wife and 4 children for 10 years now.
I have City & Guilds 224 Diploma in Electronics and Electrical servicing.

Amongst other jobs, I have worked as a Electrician in the UK , and I have worked as a self employed Electrician here in France for the last 8 years.

We have wanted to move to Canada on a permanent basis for as long as I can remember. Now we feel our position is right.

We have our own house without debt. Savings are limited to around 7-8,000 CD. If we sold the house, obviously we would be much better off, but that's not going to happen unless we get residency in Canada.

I have used a Canadian Attorney website, under the CPRP program for immigration into Canada. We were told last week, we do qualify.
*** We have carefully reviewed the information you provided and I note that you have excellent work experience and educational background. On the basis of these and other factors, you are eligible to apply for our Canada Priority Residence Program ***

We came into France in 2004 knowing no French language between us, and had no help. So we didn't do bad considering. After 2 years I became registered as an Artisan Electrician.

I am thinking of Either Calgary or New Brunswick areas of Canada. We love the outdoors.I am a Biker but I prefer off road trials/ quads etc..., and the wife is a horse rider, so we need to live on the outskirts of a town in the country. Three of our children are dependents, and the forth is also a sparky and will do his own application.

I am not fixed to the idea that I will be on very good wages. I'd actually prefer to work for a small team or family run business in Canada. Fabricating electronic machinery or a Field service Engineer which I have a lot of exp with. I Know it is a bit of a general question....but what are the chances of finding such work based on my exp rather than my Diploma ?. As this Diploma was taken back in 1986
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 1:00 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English sparky in France - wanting to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Dudz
I have lived in N. France with my wife and 4 children for 10 years now. I have City & Guilds 224 Diploma in Electronics and Electrical servicing.

I have used a Canadian Attorney website, under the CPRP program for immigration into Canada. We were told last week, we do qualify.
*** We have carefully reviewed the information you provided and I note that you have excellent work experience and educational background. On the basis of these and other factors, you are eligible to apply for our Canada Priority Residence Program ***

I am thinking of Either Calgary or New Brunswick areas of Canada.

I am not fixed to the idea that I will be on very good wages. I'd actually prefer to work for a small team or family run business in Canada. Fabricating electronic machinery or a Field service Engineer which I have a lot of exp with. I Know it is a bit of a general question....but what are the chances of finding such work based on my exp rather than my Diploma ?. As this Diploma was taken back in 1986
Based on your experience & the work that you are seeking - go with Calgary

You are already dealing with an immigration agent, so why not let them do the leg work for you & apply for immigration to Canada

Based on your qualifications & experience - my guess is the Canadian job classification would be 'Electronics Technician' or 'Electrical/Electronics' (industrial) Journeyman/tradesperson

Tradesecrets - Trades & Occupations List

If you want to work in a regulated trade such as an Electrician, then you would need provincial trade certification. The passing of a 'red seal' exam in that trade

Tradesecrets - Electrician

https://www.albertacanada.com/UK_Electrician_TFS_w.pdf

links to postings in your job related field

Electrical Technician Jobs in Calgary, AB | Indeed.com

All Electronics Technician Jobs in CALGARY, AB | WowJobs

Field Service Technician Electronic Products Job 7084275 Jobs in Calgary, AB | 39 Jobs on Simply Hired

Last edited by not2old; Nov 2nd 2014 at 1:18 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 1:51 am
Just Joined

You said "You are already dealing with an immigration agent, so why not let them do the leg work for you & apply for immigration to Canada "

Because I am not sure how much this will benefit me ?. I have the payment details to start the ball rolling, I'm just not sure how much chance there is on getting a sponsor from an employer in Canada.

Thanks for all the info by the way. Its very helpful !
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 1:59 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot avdise you on the best way for you to come to Canada. Suggest you read the following & maybe work through that agent.

Are you familiar with the various ways to come to Canada, nominee, sponsor - either as a 'skilled worker' or as a 'Tradesperson'?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

Applying as a Skilled Tradesperson

Changes to the Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) Program : new measures for Canadian employers and foreign workers

Applying as a Skilled Worker

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...assessment.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/credentials/

Last edited by not2old; Nov 2nd 2014 at 2:42 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 2:07 am
Dichotomus tinker

and this

Hiring Foreign Skilled Tradespersons | ESDC

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...plications.asp

7241 Electricians (except industrial and power system)
7242 Industrial electricians
7243 Power system electricians
7244 Electrical power line and cable workers
7245 Telecommunications line and cable workers
7246 Telecommunications installation and repair workers
7247 Cable television service and maintenance technicians

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...h.aspx?val65=*

Last edited by not2old; Nov 2nd 2014 at 2:59 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 3:10 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You said "You are already dealing with an immigration agent, so why not let them do the leg work for you & apply for immigration to Canada "

Because I am not sure how much this will benefit me ?. I have the payment details to start the ball rolling, I'm just not sure how much chance there is on getting a sponsor from an employer in Canada.

Thanks for all the info by the way. Its very helpful !
For many using an agent is a waste of money. If you are not confident filling in forms and reading instructions, an agent may be the way to go. If you can read the instructions, follow them and fill in forms, may just as well do it yourself and save the money.

An agent cannot get you a 'sponsor' from Canada, they cannot charge to find you a job.

You will need to challenge the inter provincial exam to become a journeyman electrician. To do this you need to prove 9000 work experience. As this is a Red Seal endorsed trade, you would be able to work in any province or territory that participates in the Red Seal program. It does not matter which province you sit the exam in.

Already having your inter-provincial certification will help when applying for jobs. Most folks have more success meeting face to face with potential employers. E-mails largely go unanswered, unless there is a desperate shortage in a particular trade.

Determine your eligibility — Skilled trades
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 4:38 am
Just Joined

9000 hrs experience ?

Will a letter from a company with more than this amount of hours do it ?
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 7:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

9000 hrs experience ?

Will a letter from a company with more than this amount of hours do it ?
Yes, references and payslips would do it.

One thing to be aware of is that the amount you've mentioned ($7-8,000) wouldn't be anywhere near enough for the proof of funds required by CIC. As a family of 6 you'd have to show at least $28,105 as part of your application.

That's in addition to the visa application fees, IELTs cost, police certs,and medical fees etc - cost for 6 of you just to apply would be in the region of $5-6,000 at a guess.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 2nd 2014 at 7:34 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, references and payslips would do it.

One thing to be aware of is that the amount you've mentioned ($7-8,000) wouldn't be anywhere near enough for the proof of funds required by CIC. As a family of 6 you'd have to show at least $28,105 as part of your application.

That's in addition to the visa application fees, IELTs cost, police certs,and medical fees etc - cost for 6 of you just to apply would be in the region of $5-6,000 at a guess.

HTH.
Wont they consider the value of our house ?
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 8:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you'd be applying via Paris, then no I'm afraid not.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 4:22 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Only once you have sold it and got the money in the bank.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 2:16 am
Just Joined

I have applied for over 200 jobs in Alberta and BC. Several responses advising me, they do not have a LMIA or LMO. So all your advice on this thread is proven. Not that I doubted you.

It is difficult keeping my Business going here (as I work on my own), paying for bills, looking after our 3 dependent children plus trying to get to Canada to seek employment .

I am considering paying for a Journeyman exam In Alberta. Can I take a short course in England ? to get to know the Canadian system ?.
What sort of money would I need for living costs while I book a course (if needed) and exam / rent a room at a cheap local B&B for instance and stay until the exam is accomplished ?

Is this all done In Calgary ?

Last edited by Dudz; Jul 25th 2015 at 3:03 am.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

I have applied for over 200 jobs in Alberta and BC. Several responses advising me, they do not have a LMIA or LMO. So all your advice on this thread is proven. Not that I doubted you.

It is difficult keeping my Business going here (as I work on my own), paying for bills, looking after our 3 dependent children plus trying to get to Canada to seek employment .

I am considering paying for a Journeyman exam In Alberta. Can I take a short course in England ? to get to know the Canadian system ?.
What sort of money would I need for living costs while I book a course (if needed) and exam / rent a room at a cheap local B&B for instance and stay until the exam is accomplished ?

Is this all done In Calgary ?
If only it were that simple, I don't mean that in a derogatory way as I think its a good system, much better than the Australian system which is way more red tape.

Typically you would get your qualifications assessed (City & Guilds/whatever) by the AAIT which is step one, assuming they're happy you can come and start work in Canada and then you have to challenge the Red Seal (I`ve heard within 6 months or a year can't remember - I came across in September and challenged the following May but they had scheduled me to attempt in March which I rescheduled as I was working out of town at the time)

The pass mark is 70% but the Red Seal should not be underestimated. It is a general exam with general trade knowledge questions, technical questions and a LOT of code questions. I would focus on the code side and you can do that by purchasing the latest Canadian code book and this practise tool which I found very helpful clicky

I should state that the code book, in my opinion is far from straight forward (you`ll see what I mean when you see it - you want to know something so you go to the part the index refers to but it then sends you to another section where theres a rule that may apply so you have to navigate elsewhere to decide that first etc etc) but once you get your head around it its fine.

The practise tool helps for sure but I found it was actually too advanced, the questions are generally harder than what was in the exam, but I looked at that as a good thing (if you can do the practise questions the exam questions will be a breeze). I also found that the practise tool only allows three hours to complete which wasn't enough (you get four in the exam and you`ll need all of it) which was frustrating and had me worried but again it makes you work faster so the exam should seem easier. That glitch could well be fixed on the practise tool now.

As you probably already know Canada`s electrical system is quite different to Europe (different cable types, multiple voltages, different colours, different terminology for material etc etc) so it really helps to be here and work for a while before challenging the exam to get up to speed with all the differences in my opinion. I had nine months hands on experience under my belt before I attempted and I`m glad I did, I then studied on my own for 10 days straight and passed but I worked hard.

I know that i was also one of the last to not have to do the second practical part which I have heard is also hard (one guy I know took 3 attempts to pass). I can't offer any more insight into it though as I was exempt

Its also worth mentioning that you only get two attempts (at both parts I think - the guy who had to do the practical had his work permit cancelled after the second failure and had to get the company to vouch for him to attempt a third time)

You could come across and do a course like you mentioned and I`ve heard good things about those but I personally didn't. I see it that they don't offer anything that you can't do with the code book & practice tool on your own and keep the ~$1500 fee in your pocket

Hope this helps
Old Jul 25th 2015, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Thats very helpful thanks.

If I were to try and do the same...Ie...come and work for 6 months to a year or so, how would I go about this ?. The Attorney, advises me to sit on my arse and apply for hundreds of jobs to get a sponsoring employer before going into Canada. I cant see this working.
I would much rather fly over with a temp Elec job to get hands on experience. Do I apply for temp work in Canadian companies ? (knowing that I haven't got any of the Canadian Qualifications or trade certificates ) ? or do I fly over and ask around for temp work ?.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 1:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

The Attorney, advises me to sit on my arse and apply for hundreds of jobs to get a sponsoring employer before going into Canada. I cant see this working.
You're right that sitting on your backside won't get you anywhere (or is very unlikely to), you need to get out to Canada and job hunt in person. The fact that you've already applied for over 200 jobs without any success just goes to show that you're unlikely to have any luck if you keep on doing the same. Have a good read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki to understand how to go about finding that all important job offer.

I would much rather fly over with a temp Elec job to get hands on experience. Do I apply for temp work in Canadian companies ? (knowing that I haven't got any of the Canadian Qualifications or trade certificates ) ? or do I fly over and ask around for temp work ?.
A temp job would still require an employer to 'sponsor' you though. To hire you on a Temp Work Permit, an employer has to apply for a LMIA. This costs them $1000 and to get it they have to prove that there is no Canadian willing or able to do the job after 4 weeks advertising nationally.

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 26th 2015 at 1:13 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.