Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

English requirements for citizenship

English requirements for citizenship

Old Jun 25th 2018, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Ling_Noi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English requirements for citizenship

Background
  • Became PR in 2015
  • Completed IELTS as part of that application
  • Applying for citizenship this month
Reading the CIC website it says:

You may send a transcript, diploma or certificate showing that you graduated from a secondary school or from a post-secondary program in Canada or abroad. These materials must show that the program was in English or French. A single course in an official language is not enough to meet this requirement.
My degree, despite being from an English university, does not state that that it was taught in English and I'm unable to get another copy of my IELTS.

I've requested a letter from my university stating the degree was taught in english.

Will this be enough to satisfy CIC?

I'm honestly baffled that they don't have the original IELTS certificate on file from my PR application...
Old Jun 25th 2018, 3:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English requirements for citizenship

Originally Posted by Ling_Noi
Background
  • Became PR in 2015
  • Completed IELTS as part of that application
  • Applying for citizenship this month
Reading the CIC website it says:

My degree, despite being from an English university, does not state that that it was taught in English and I'm unable to get another copy of my IELTS.

I've requested a letter from my university stating the degree was taught in english.

Will this be enough to satisfy CIC?

I'm honestly baffled that they don't have the original IELTS certificate on file from my PR application...
Even if they did have it, it would have expired by now anyway. Certificates don't normally state the language a degree was taught in, but transcripts do - worth checking with your uni to see if theirs do maybe?
Old Jun 25th 2018, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Expired IELTS submitted as part of a PR application are okay for citizenship but you do need the certificate.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Expired certificates are accepted.

Apparently new degrees contain this information but mine didn’t.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Try asking for a letter from the University. If all this is too much hassle, just sit CELPIP LS. It may be simpler and less risky for you.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 5:47 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, if it’s a British university, located in the UK then it’s obvious it will be a program in English.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well that's what you'd logically think. But remember StinkyPup's experience.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Try asking for a letter from the University. If all this is too much hassle, just sit CELPIP LS. It may be simpler and less risky for you.
I've put in the request but my question was - will a letter be accepted?

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
To be fair, if it’s a British university, located in the UK then it’s obvious it will be a program in English.
There's several posts on this forum of people being rejected after sending their Masters' or PhD without a specific referral to the language used in teaching.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 7:21 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Well that's what you'd logically think. But remember StinkyPup's experience.
No I don’t remember that. Did his get rejected for not stating ‘English’ on it?
Old Jun 25th 2018, 7:26 pm
Bex in the city

citizenship applications don’t go to same dept. they don’t always share info.

why didn’t you keep your original certificate?
Old Jun 25th 2018, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

citizenship applications don’t go to same dept. they don’t always share info.

why didn’t you keep your original certificate?
They request originals and you only get 1 copy.

In hindsight I should have copied that and the police certificates as they are now both being requested again.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 8:27 pm
Bex in the city

They request originals and you only get 1 copy.

In hindsight I should have copied that and the police certificates as they are now both being requested again.
I might be wrong but when I read through requirements a couple of months ago I thought you could send a copy with application but I believe you have to take original to citizenship test..? Either way unhelpful for yourself right now.

It’s possible as mentioned above that IELTS may have a copy on file or at least your test number
Old Jun 25th 2018, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

The bottom line is it depends how risk averse you are and how much hassle it is to obtain extra documentation of your degree/IELTS. If you want to remove all risk/uncertainty/worry, you could consider sitting CELPIP LS (Listening and Speaking). If you can tolerate a level of uncertainty submit the degree certificate (and letter testifying to language of instruction if you get it).
Old Jun 26th 2018, 5:55 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

No I don’t remember that. Did his get rejected for not stating ‘English’ on it?

It was rejected originally because it didn't state that the program was taught in English. He had to get something from the University to show that.

You can read all about it by using the links in my post here: Native English speaker needing an English test?

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 26th 2018 at 5:59 am.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Stuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t anticipate this for quite a while as I’m still awaiting my PR but my aviation licenses show my English assessment as ELP6 ( the highest level). Anyone know if this is of any use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.