Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

English Qualifications for Citizenship

Wikiposts

English Qualifications for Citizenship

Old May 15th 2014, 5:23 am
Just Joined

Sir Rossington is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English Qualifications for Citizenship

Hi, first post here and looking for some advice from people jumping through the same hoops.

I am in the process of applying for my Citizenship and yes even though I am English I need to provide proof I can speak and write in my own tongue.

I lost my English qualifications from school and college during a recent move, Im wondering what others have used, or what the Canadian government deem a substantial qualification to prove I can speak English. Its so expensive these days to get certificates reprinted and mailed over here so Id like a better idea of what exactly is required. (sorry its very difficult to not be sarcastic about this topic but i guess it is what it is)

I have seen a few exams i can take here that seem a little ridiculous, like 5 year old stuff.

In an ideal World i would walk into their office and say cup of tea, fish and chips, for blimey guvnor and they'd stamp my citizenship and id walk out with a silly walk.

Ross
Old May 15th 2014, 5:32 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Qualifications for Citizenship

Originally Posted by Sir Rossington
Hi, first post here and looking for some advice from people jumping through the same hoops.

I am in the process of applying for my Citizenship and yes even though I am English I need to provide proof I can speak and write in my own tongue.

I lost my English qualifications from school and college during a recent move, Im wondering what others have used, or what the Canadian government deem a substantial qualification to prove I can speak English. Its so expensive these days to get certificates reprinted and mailed over here so Id like a better idea of what exactly is required. (sorry its very difficult to not be sarcastic about this topic but i guess it is what it is)

I have seen a few exams i can take here that seem a little ridiculous, like 5 year old stuff.

In an ideal World i would walk into their office and say cup of tea, fish and chips, for blimey guvnor and they'd stamp my citizenship and id walk out with a silly walk.

Ross
Hello and welcome to BE!

There is a thread on Citizenship which has a few mentions about proof of English that it may be worth reading: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...628037&page=56

There are also a few threads on the subject here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=823207
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=823396
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789762

There is a wizard on the CIC website on what you can provide: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language.asp

There is also a list available on the CIC website of acceptable documentation: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...C.asp#language

Hope that helps a little!

Old May 15th 2014, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks Siouxie

yeah thats pretty much the stuff id read i just wanted to get a little feedback from people that had gone through it.

Seems a bit silly but like i said, i guess it is what it is. Looks like Im going to have to look at pictures of little white cars in front of big black trucks and explain what is going on in that awfully decorated hair salon in the cartoon

Thanks

Ross
Old May 15th 2014, 7:59 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

I did the CELPIP - it was ridiculously easy and required no prep whatsoever.
It took around 30 minutes - would have been less but the instructions are given very slooooowly.
Old May 16th 2014, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cxx
I did the CELPIP - it was ridiculously easy and required no prep whatsoever.
It took around 30 minutes - would have been less but the instructions are given very slooooowly.
Yeah it looks easy, funnily enough my PR card has now expired to I need to renew that to take the CELPIP first and then book the test which apparently may now take me until september, once completed i can apply for my citizenship. At this rate i will be a citizen by the time my newborn daughter will be in school.