English language test!

Old Jun 30th 2014, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Minniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really nice
Default English language test!

Hi, could someone please help? Have been going round in circles on CIC website and can't find the answer.
My husband has a job offer and has received his LMO and we will be applying at the airport for his TWP when we go over in August. He is a doctor and we are applying on the FSW route. Does he need to sit the English language test and do I? I've honestly tried the search engine here and we've emailed CIC with no response so I'm sorry if this has been answered a million times!!
Old Jun 30th 2014, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English language test!

From the CIC website Federal Skilled Workers
Language ability

You must meet minimum language levels and include the results of a language test from an agency approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) when you apply that shows you meet the minimum language requirement of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7.

Education
You must have:
a Canadian diploma, certificate, or credential
OR
a foreign educational credential, and an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) by an agency approved by CIC to show it is equal to a completed Canadian secondary or post-secondary educational credential.
Determine your eligibility – Federal skilled workers

Are you also applying or just accompanying as a spouse of a skilled worker?
If just accompanying then you won't need the IELTS.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 2:28 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
From the CIC website Federal Skilled Workers
Language ability

You must meet minimum language levels and include the results of a language test from an agency approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) when you apply that shows you meet the minimum language requirement of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7.

Education
You must have:
a Canadian diploma, certificate, or credential
OR
a foreign educational credential, and an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) by an agency approved by CIC to show it is equal to a completed Canadian secondary or post-secondary educational credential.
Determine your eligibility – Federal skilled workers

Are you also applying or just accompanying as a spouse of a skilled worker?
If just accompanying then you won't need the IELTS.
Note the OP is applying for a work permit, no IELTs required. As a physician he will require a medical though for the work permit.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Minniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really nice

Thanks FL and PMM. Think we've been getting a bit confused about FSW. PMM is right we are applying for a TWP so does that mean we don't need the English test? He has had the medical already and it was fine. I'm also a doctor but won't be working initially and so would be just applying for a spousal visa- is this right? I just don't have time to get my paperwork/ medical etc organised in time for August now.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 4:11 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

Originally Posted by Minniemouse78
Thanks FL and PMM. Think we've been getting a bit confused about FSW. PMM is right we are applying for a TWP so does that mean we don't need the English test? He has had the medical already and it was fine. I'm also a doctor but won't be working initially and so would be just applying for a spousal visa- is this right? I just don't have time to get my paperwork/ medical etc organised in time for August now.
Yes, you are good to go.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Thanks that's a relief!
Old Jul 1st 2014, 1:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Minniemouse78
Thanks that's a relief!
Just to make sure in case it wasn't 100% clear, but he will have to sit the IELTS for his FSW app, it's just not needed for the TWP.

HTH, good luck with it.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Christmasoompa. I think we're a bit confused.... So, for August when we go to the airport with all our forms, medical, police check, photos etc my husband will be applying for a TWP and the kids for study permits for school. Do I get an open work permit automatically as a spouse or do I have to apply for it? I wouldn't be able to work in my field anyway straightaway as have to get my qualifications checked/ approved and a medical +/-an exam!
Provided we satisfy immigration and have all the correct documents etc is that us then? Does the FSW part come into effect as the route we will go down when we are applying for PR as a family when we finally get into Canada? Don't know why we can't work this out ourselves- finding it very complicated!!!
Old Jul 1st 2014, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to apply for it on entry and pay the $155 for the spousal open work permit.
Yes you appear to have things confused.
The Federal Skilled Worker route gets you PR status once approved and qualified.
Those with LMOs (LMIA) who come over on a work permit normally find another route to gain PR status such as PNP, CEC.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Former Lancastrian-yes totally mixed up but think I've got it now!
Yes I think the PNP route is the one we will to down for PR. Can we ( or anyone for that matter -out of curiosity) only apply for PR once in the country on the TWP?
Do you know if it would be worth it for me to pay for the spousal open work permit? By that I mean would it save me having to apply for a TWP whilst in Canada. I am a GP and know that I would have to have my qualifications checked with the BC equivalent colleges there before working. Just back from 2 weeks recce in Vancouver to find a school and house to rent and there seems to be a shortage of GPs.