British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   English language proof for citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/english-language-proof-citizenship-904412/)

bikedawg Oct 10th 2017 8:40 pm

English language proof for citizenship

Hi All

It's while since I posted on here since becoming a PR hence the new user name as I can't remember :)

Anyway tomorrow like alot of other excited wanna be Canadians, I become eligible for Citizenship :rofl: and would like to apply asap as I guess there will be a hugh influx of applications.

The language requirement though may be throwing a spanner in the works too apply right away which I did not anticipate. I've searched and searched the internet already

I have my certificates from Gcse's, Alevels and a certificate of higher education from a 1 year University course all completed in the UK. However being completed in the UK they obviously do not explicitly state the language used was English which I have heard may be a problem

Just looking for personal experiences with what people have sent in the past RE- Alevels, degrees etc and if they were accepted? I never needed a language test for PR. I can go get it done but its going to set me back a good while and hoping what I have is sufficient

Thanks so much. I'm excited

withabix Oct 10th 2017 8:53 pm

Re: English language proof for citizenship

It may not matter what UK qualifications you have.

You have to take CELPIP General-LS, unless you previously took CELPIP or IELTS for Express Entry PR, for example.

https://www.celpip.ca/what-is-celpip/

Snowy560 Oct 10th 2017 9:08 pm

This is not correct unless the requirements change tomorrow. This wizard helps you work out what you need:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language.asp

withabix Oct 10th 2017 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12358166)
This is not correct unless the requirements change tomorrow. This wizard helps you work out what you need:

Find out if you have the language proof you need to apply for citizenship: Step 1

Apologies - I thought the requirements were similar to Express Entry :blink:

Re-reading the actual requirements excludes GCE/GCSE/CSE and A-Levels and looks like it would exclude some higher qualifications.

Maybe this is why some people find it easier to just take the test and pay the $170 or whatever?

Snowy560 Oct 10th 2017 9:18 pm

That's okay. ☺ I would say that if you have any doubts as to whether your proof would be sufficient, do the language test.

dominiqueincanada Oct 10th 2017 9:24 pm

I'm sending in a copy of my masters degree certificate and transcripts as English language proof. I have read the CIC specifications and I think this should be sufficient proof (it was a 4 year degree).

snoopdawg Oct 13th 2017 4:14 am

Originally Posted by dominiqueincanada (Post 12358180)
I'm sending in a copy of my masters degree certificate and transcripts as English language proof. I have read the CIC specifications and I think this should be sufficient proof (it was a 4 year degree).

Don't count on it! Will depend on the person looking. We had to get our 5 year medical degree transcripts rewritten to specify that it was done in English before they were accepted.

graham1710 Oct 13th 2017 12:50 pm

You didn't have to do IELTS (or any of the others like that) as part of your PR app? Or were you before that requirement came in?

If you did do them, then you can still use a copy of the expired one that you submitted for PR.

Sorry - just re-read again above and saw that you didn't have to do these for your PR!

Graham.

dominiqueincanada Oct 13th 2017 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by snoopdawg (Post 12359958)
Don't count on it! Will depend on the person looking. We had to get our 5 year medical degree transcripts rewritten to specify that it was done in English before they were accepted.

I'm willing to take that risk - easier than booking an English test.

scrubbedexpat123 Oct 13th 2017 7:29 pm

If your documents are in English then there should be no issue. I have secondary transcripts i.e. GCSE showing multiple subjects. the certificate is in English and lists English and English Lit with the relevant grade.

This should be more than sufficient as per Step 4 of the instruction guide. PART 15A section ii - You attended a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad.

A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.

Instruction Guide for the Application for Canadian citizenship – Adults (18 years of age or older) Applying under subsection 5(1)

Snowy560 Oct 13th 2017 7:44 pm

So do you think GCSEs are equivalent to Canadian High school graduation?

scilly Oct 13th 2017 7:52 pm

As Snowy implies ................

GCSEs are not equivalent to a Canadian high school diploma.

scrubbedexpat123 Oct 13th 2017 7:59 pm

Will let you decide based on the following link School Age Categories-Canada : British Expat Wiki

If you have any GCSE's, A-levels or degree, regardless of subject, I would include them too. There should be no issue. I did not have to do the test either for PR. I was under the PNP. Applied in 2013 and received it early 2014.

Certain PNP applicants were exempt from the Lang. test as per their NOC Occupation on the NOC skills matrix.

Snowy560 Oct 13th 2017 8:02 pm

Yes as Scilly says. If it were me, I was an adult, and GCSEs were my highest qualification, I'd just wouldn't want the uncertainty of whether the application would be returned. So I'd do a language test. But that's me.

Stinkypup Oct 13th 2017 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by cjo1983 (Post 12360469)
If your documents are in English then there should be no issue. I have secondary transcripts i.e. GCSE showing multiple subjects. the certificate is in English and lists English and English Lit with the relevant grade.

This should be more than sufficient as per Step 4 of the instruction guide. PART 15A section ii - You attended a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad.

A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.

Instruction Guide for the Application for Canadian citizenship – Adults (18 years of age or older) Applying under subsection 5(1)

Feel free to follow this advice but from personal experience it doesnt seem the best advice to follow....:unsure: