Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

English language proof for citizenship

English language proof for citizenship

Old Oct 10th 2017, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

bikedawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English language proof for citizenship

Hi All

It's while since I posted on here since becoming a PR hence the new user name as I can't remember

Anyway tomorrow like alot of other excited wanna be Canadians, I become eligible for Citizenship and would like to apply asap as I guess there will be a hugh influx of applications.

The language requirement though may be throwing a spanner in the works too apply right away which I did not anticipate. I've searched and searched the internet already

I have my certificates from Gcse's, Alevels and a certificate of higher education from a 1 year University course all completed in the UK. However being completed in the UK they obviously do not explicitly state the language used was English which I have heard may be a problem

Just looking for personal experiences with what people have sent in the past RE- Alevels, degrees etc and if they were accepted? I never needed a language test for PR. I can go get it done but its going to set me back a good while and hoping what I have is sufficient

Thanks so much. I'm excited
Old Oct 10th 2017, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English language proof for citizenship

It may not matter what UK qualifications you have.

You have to take CELPIP General-LS, unless you previously took CELPIP or IELTS for Express Entry PR, for example.

https://www.celpip.ca/what-is-celpip/

Last edited by withabix; Oct 10th 2017 at 9:16 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

This is not correct unless the requirements change tomorrow. This wizard helps you work out what you need:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language.asp
Old Oct 10th 2017, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
This is not correct unless the requirements change tomorrow. This wizard helps you work out what you need:

Find out if you have the language proof you need to apply for citizenship: Step 1

Apologies - I thought the requirements were similar to Express Entry

Re-reading the actual requirements excludes GCE/GCSE/CSE and A-Levels and looks like it would exclude some higher qualifications.

Maybe this is why some people find it easier to just take the test and pay the $170 or whatever?

Last edited by withabix; Oct 10th 2017 at 9:18 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

That's okay. ☺ I would say that if you have any doubts as to whether your proof would be sufficient, do the language test.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sending in a copy of my masters degree certificate and transcripts as English language proof. I have read the CIC specifications and I think this should be sufficient proof (it was a 4 year degree).
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominiqueincanada
I'm sending in a copy of my masters degree certificate and transcripts as English language proof. I have read the CIC specifications and I think this should be sufficient proof (it was a 4 year degree).
Don't count on it! Will depend on the person looking. We had to get our 5 year medical degree transcripts rewritten to specify that it was done in English before they were accepted.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice

You didn't have to do IELTS (or any of the others like that) as part of your PR app? Or were you before that requirement came in?

If you did do them, then you can still use a copy of the expired one that you submitted for PR.

Sorry - just re-read again above and saw that you didn't have to do these for your PR!

Graham.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
Don't count on it! Will depend on the person looking. We had to get our 5 year medical degree transcripts rewritten to specify that it was done in English before they were accepted.
I'm willing to take that risk - easier than booking an English test.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 7:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat123 is an unknown quantity at this point

If your documents are in English then there should be no issue. I have secondary transcripts i.e. GCSE showing multiple subjects. the certificate is in English and lists English and English Lit with the relevant grade.

This should be more than sufficient as per Step 4 of the instruction guide. PART 15A section ii - You attended a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad.

A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.

Instruction Guide for the Application for Canadian citizenship – Adults (18 years of age or older) Applying under subsection 5(1)
Old Oct 13th 2017, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

So do you think GCSEs are equivalent to Canadian High school graduation?

Last edited by Snowy560; Oct 13th 2017 at 7:49 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

As Snowy implies ................

GCSEs are not equivalent to a Canadian high school diploma.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 7:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Will let you decide based on the following link School Age Categories-Canada : British Expat Wiki

If you have any GCSE's, A-levels or degree, regardless of subject, I would include them too. There should be no issue. I did not have to do the test either for PR. I was under the PNP. Applied in 2013 and received it early 2014.

Certain PNP applicants were exempt from the Lang. test as per their NOC Occupation on the NOC skills matrix.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes as Scilly says. If it were me, I was an adult, and GCSEs were my highest qualification, I'd just wouldn't want the uncertainty of whether the application would be returned. So I'd do a language test. But that's me.

Last edited by Snowy560; Oct 13th 2017 at 8:06 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 8:10 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjo1983
If your documents are in English then there should be no issue. I have secondary transcripts i.e. GCSE showing multiple subjects. the certificate is in English and lists English and English Lit with the relevant grade.

This should be more than sufficient as per Step 4 of the instruction guide. PART 15A section ii - You attended a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad.

A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.

Instruction Guide for the Application for Canadian citizenship – Adults (18 years of age or older) Applying under subsection 5(1)
Feel free to follow this advice but from personal experience it doesnt seem the best advice to follow....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.