Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

End of (this) road: getting citizenship today

End of (this) road: getting citizenship today

Old Oct 29th 2009, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

lazyant is on a distinguished road
Default End of (this) road: getting citizenship today

Hello all,

It's been four years since I've been to this board. I applied to immigration Canada in 2003, landed in 2005 and today I'm having the citizenship ceremony.

I have a previous summary of the application process here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259025

We landed in Canada in 2005. The first six months or so were pretty rough; I worked but I couldn't find a decent job, we had a small kid and my wife couldn't work due to a tough pregnancy.

Then the next year everything turned around; I found a decent job, we had a healthy baby, we moved to a new town and we bought a house (it will be hard to top that year). Earlier this year I funded my own company with a partner and we're doing pretty well.

Some general philosophical thoughts to those who are applying:

The most important thing to be successful immigrating to Canada (and possibly most countries) is a combination of a good attitude and being a good salesman. You have to talk to people, network and sell yourself.
Introvert people like myself have to make an effort but believe me, if you have good people skills you're 90% there.

Implicit here is that you have to know the language and communicate effectively. Having an accent is OK, many people have one and Canadians in general are pretty forgiving about this, but you need to speak well if you want to get a good job.

Little rant here: people point out at PhDs driving taxi cabs. I don't see the problem in this; unless you are a world-wide recognized researcher a PhD just means that you spent a number of years in academia and you can write about a subject. Oftentimes I see people go for the PhD as "professional students"; they couldn't get a normal job and they don't know what else to do. Having a PhD or pretty much any other title doesn't mean you can give value to a company or even university.

The attitude: if you are generally a happy and positive person (in your country), you'll be a happy and positive person in Canada or anywhere. If you are a negative person, always complaining, you'll be miserable in Canada or anywhere. You bring your person with you and don't fool yourself that because your country is such and such and Canada is so great that just by coming here you'll change and you'll be happy. (Exception of course if the situation in your country is horrible as in torn by war, living in a refugee camp etc).

To wrap up: again, when you come up here work on your social skills, meet people. Be positive and patient.

Good luck.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Pengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nice
Default Re: End of (this) road: getting citizenship today

Originally Posted by lazyant
Hello all,

It's been four years since I've been to this board. I applied to immigration Canada in 2003, landed in 2005 and today I'm having the citizenship ceremony.

I have a previous summary of the application process here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259025

We landed in Canada in 2005. The first six months or so were pretty rough; I worked but I couldn't find a decent job, we had a small kid and my wife couldn't work due to a tough pregnancy.

Then the next year everything turned around; I found a decent job, we had a healthy baby, we moved to a new town and we bought a house (it will be hard to top that year). Earlier this year I funded my own company with a partner and we're doing pretty well.

The most important thing to be successful immigrating to Canada (and possibly most countries) is a combination of a good attitude and being a good salesman. You have to talk to people, network and sell yourself.
Introvert people like myself have to make an effort but believe me, if you have good people skills you're 90% there.

Implicit here is that you have to know the language and communicate effectively. Having an accent is OK, many people have one and Canadians in general are pretty forgiving about this, but you need to speak well if you want to get a good job.

Little rant here: people point out at PhDs driving taxi cabs. I don't see the problem in this; unless you are a world-wide recognized researcher a PhD just means that you spent a number of years in academia and you can write about a subject. Oftentimes I see people go for the PhD as "professional students"; they couldn't get a normal job and they don't know what else to do. Having a PhD or pretty much any other title doesn't mean you can give value to a company or even university.

The attitude: if you are generally a happy and positive person (in your country), you'll be a happy and positive person in Canada or anywhere. If you are a negative person, always complaining, you'll be miserable in Canada or anywhere. You bring your person with you and don't fool yourself that because your country is such and such and Canada is so great that just by coming here you'll change and you'll be happy. (Exception of course if the situation in your country is horrible as in torn by war, living in a refugee camp etc).

To wrap up: again, when you come up here work on your social skills, meet people. Be positive and patient.

Good luck.
Congratulations Lazyant ! A Canadian citizen at last !

Hopefully in a few years I'll be typing a similar post on here !
Old Oct 29th 2009, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulations! on becoming a new Canadian. You must be over the moon. I hope to have the same feeling in about 4-5 years from now. Thanks for the wonderful post and words of advice.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Want2Move
Congratulations! on becoming a new Canadian. You must be over the moon. I hope to have the same feeling in about 4-5 years from now. Thanks for the wonderful post and words of advice.
Nice blog, nice pics.

For those of you moving from the US like me a couple of tips:

- Get an American Express credit card. This way you can convert it over to a Canadian one in just one phone call and somehow transfer your credit history. (Even if the credit history companies in Canada are basically the same as in the US the credit history is not transferred). I also had an American MC and after my Canadian MC application was denied I called them and they somehow took that into account and approve it.

- Consider u-pack instead of u-haul. I've had horrible experiences with u-haul in the US: except the first time all the other ones (I moved about 5 times) they gave me a bigger truck (not fun to drive across the country with a 26 foot truck plus hauling your car). U-haul was great, even if the web site said the moving distance was too short it was just a little more than uhaul and I considered it money well spent since I didn't have to drive a monster across the border into an unknown city.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Just a quick - Well done and congrats!
It was actually a nice post, quite refreshing.
I think that if you have a positive attitude, you are polite and courteous then it goes a long way to helping you open doors.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light

Nice blog, nice pics.

For those of you moving from the US like me a couple of tips:

- Get an American Express credit card. This way you can convert it over to a Canadian one in just one phone call and somehow transfer your credit history. (Even if the credit history companies in Canada are basically the same as in the US the credit history is not transferred). I also had an American MC and after my Canadian MC application was denied I called them and they somehow took that into account and approve it.

- Consider u-pack instead of u-haul. I've had horrible experiences with u-haul in the US: except the first time all the other ones (I moved about 5 times) they gave me a bigger truck (not fun to drive across the country with a 26 foot truck plus hauling your car). U-haul was great, even if the web site said the moving distance was too short it was just a little more than uhaul and I considered it money well spent since I didn't have to drive a monster across the border into an unknown city.
Thanks again! I need to figure out how to get an American Express card. My wife and I have MC, Visa and Discover. All of them came in the mail as an invitation and we went from there. But we never got an invitation from American Express.

I am thinking about U-Pack too as I do not want to drive a big truck all the way to Alberta. But I am not moving to AB permanently until next year (May-June). I am driving my minivan to Alberta-Montana border (Coutts) and planning on landing on Nov 15th. I am going to spend a week in Alberta and may be 2 days in Vancouver and back to the US.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of
Smile Re: End of (this) road: getting citizenship today

Hello all,

Good luck.
Congratulations on your citizenship and thanks for a great post and lots of good advice.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 10:27 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: End of (this) road: getting citizenship today

Hello all,

Good luck.
What a great post! Congratulations on getting your citizenship

Thanks for your story and advice and best wishes for you and your family for your future life in Canada
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Want2Move
Thanks again! I need to figure out how to get an American Express card. My wife and I have MC, Visa and Discover. All of them came in the mail as an invitation and we went from there. But we never got an invitation from American Express.
Go to http://www.americanexpress.com , hit "apply" or call them 1-800-223-2670
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Great post. Think you nailed it..it's all about attitude.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Larkfield, Kent, Landed Toronto July 09, perm move to Cambridge March 2010
moley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to all

Hello all,

Good luck.
Hi! Congrats on becoming a Canadian Citizen. It was great to read about your experiences and that it turned from not so nice to brilliant! Thank you. Your post should inspire many people!