Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

End of relationship with dependant spouse - requirement to declare?

End of relationship with dependant spouse - requirement to declare?

Old May 16th 2019, 8:54 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Question End of relationship with dependant spouse - requirement to declare?

I was in a long-term relationship with someone until late last year when unfortunately that relationship broke down. I sponsored my former partner's UK ILR as well as her PR for Canada as an accompanying common-law spouse on my FSW application. She was listed as a dependent spouse on my COPR and we landed in Canada together a year ago before returning to the UK. As far as I am aware, my former partner has no interest or intention of returning to Canada (her COPR is actually still in my possession) however I am planning to move back there on my own.

I'm assuming that the answer is no but do I need to formally declare this to Canada in some way? I just don't want it to be an issue when I come to apply for a PRTD only for myself.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 16th 2019, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of relationship with dependant spouse - requirement to declare?

From the IRCC website

Keep your information up to date

To avoid delays in processing, make sure your contact information and your application details are up to date.

Use our Web form to tell us of changes in your application, such as:
  • marriage or divorce
  • birth or adoption of a child
  • death of an applicant or dependant
  • contact information updates, including:
    • email
    • phone number
    • mailing address

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ext-steps.html
Old May 16th 2019, 9:04 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
From the IRCC website

Keep your information up to date

To avoid delays in processing, make sure your contact information and your application details are up to date.

Use our Web form to tell us of changes in your application, such as:
  • marriage or divorce
  • birth or adoption of a child
  • death of an applicant or dependant
  • contact information updates, including:
    • email
    • phone number
    • mailing address

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ext-steps.html
Thanks but does that still apply considering that we're both already landed immigrants and I'm not intending to sponsor any other dependant or spouse? Our application was already completed in 2017.
Old May 16th 2019, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Thanks but does that still apply considering that we're both already landed immigrants and I'm not intending to sponsor any other dependant or spouse? Our application was already completed in 2017.
If already landed then No nothing else to be done Immigration wise.
Old May 16th 2019, 10:32 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If already landed then No nothing else to be done Immigration wise.
Yep, we're both already landed and I thought that would be the case but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks as always FL.