Employment in Valemount BC

Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

kevnbev is on a distinguished road
Default Employment in Valemount BC

Hello again !

Following on from our previous thread regarding our non dependant daughter, we just wondered if anyone knows what the job prospects would be for her in Valemount if she did manage to join us ?

She is presently a Food and Beverage supervisor in a large hotel.

Although there are several hotels etc in Valemount we have only found one position for Housekeeping advertised in the past few months.

Do we take it that such jobs are advertised locally or that hotels etc there rarely have vacancies ?

Also, We havent had a chance to read through it properly as yet but we have just seen her job title listed on the ELMO.The only information weve found so far is for the employer.

Are empolyers generally willing to apply for LMO etc to fill such positions ?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment in Valemount BC

Originally Posted by kevnbev
Hello again !

Following on from our previous thread regarding our non dependant daughter, we just wondered if anyone knows what the job prospects would be for her in Valemount if she did manage to join us ?

She is presently a Food and Beverage supervisor in a large hotel.

Although there are several hotels etc in Valemount we have only found one position for Housekeeping advertised in the past few months.

Do we take it that such jobs are advertised locally or that hotels etc there rarely have vacancies ?

Also, We havent had a chance to read through it properly as yet but we have just seen her job title listed on the ELMO.The only information weve found so far is for the employer.

Are empolyers generally willing to apply for LMO etc to fill such positions ?
Hi Kevnbev!

Are you guys local to Valemount then?

There are always LOADS of housekeeping vacancies at the hotels and motels (at $8-$10 per hour for slave labour, it's not surprising!) but there's no way that they'd bother with all the LMO for a cleaning job - I think she needs to set her sights a bit higher, especially if she has supervisory experience.

Here's the most recent list of advertised vacancies in Valemount, but as is common with most small villages like ours, the vast majority of jobs get filled by word of mouth and are never advertised:

http://www.valemountlearningcentre.c...20Postings.pdf

Just looked back over your postings and see you're not actually in Canada yet. Are you planning to move to Valemount? Have you visited? LOL!

Last edited by AlexInBC; Jan 28th 2009 at 3:59 am.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:12 am
Just Joined

kevnbev is on a distinguished road

Hi AlexINBC !

Thanks for your reply.
Yes at the moment we are still in the UK but hope things will start to move now after a frustrating year waiting to come over for job interviews which our Immigration Attourney 'arranged'.

My husband accepted a job offer with BC Hydro after his interview in November,so we will be moving to Valemount sometime soon .

We saw a lot of Canada when we came over in Oct/Nov (we started off in Brooks AB) but Valemount was our favourite and I think Chubby Chicken made our minds up !

My daughter has said that the courses she took actually allows her to work as a restaurant manager, so although she would happily work in house keeping
it would be shame after all the hard work she has put in to get to supervisor.

I did think that maybe I would get shot down in flames by someone thinking that I was looking for employment for her on here so thanks for your kind reply!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Have PM'ed you as I think we're in danger of being told off for posting "chat" in the immigration forum