Employment requirements/NOC

Old Aug 25th 2004, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

todos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment requirements/NOC

My present occupation is Language teacher (Russian and English), i work in a Language center. I have a university degree in Linguistics (Philologist; Translator of Chinese), my native language is Russian. I want to make sure that I'm qualified to be a Teacher according to NOC employment requirements (4131, College and Other Vocational Instructors, A bachelor's degree, college diploma or demonstrated expertise in the field of instruction is required). Even though it is not mentioned in my diploma that I am a Teacher, I have been working as full-time teacher in a language school for 5 years. Does it mean I have demonstrated expertise in the field of instruction?! Thank you.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 2:36 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Employment requirements/NOC

First of all - you should separate your education credentials (field of education) from your work experience. Under current law work experience when applying for PR visa doesn't need to be in any relation to field of education - it is only duties you performed that determine if your experience can be counted as in claimed occupation as per such occupation's description in NOC. Read Regulations, section 80(3) here:

http://www.canlii.org/ca/regu/sor2-227/sec80.html

You need to assess the duties you performed against particular occupation's description in NOC - in order to have experience in particular occupation counted you experience must meet both, R80(3)(a) and (b) above.

The above comment relates to PR visa selection criteria only, it doesn't apply to Work Permit application.

Originally Posted by todos
My present occupation is Language teacher (Russian and English), i work in a Language center. I have a university degree in Linguistics (Philologist; Translator of Chinese), my native language is Russian. I want to make sure that I'm qualified to be a Teacher according to NOC employment requirements (4131, College and Other Vocational Instructors, A bachelor's degree, college diploma or demonstrated expertise in the field of instruction is required). Even though it is not mentioned in my diploma that I am a Teacher, I have been working as full-time teacher in a language school for 5 years. Does it mean I have demonstrated expertise in the field of instruction?! Thank you.