British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Employment References (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/employment-references-921989/)

RossOkeefe Feb 12th 2019 5:14 am

Employment References

Morning,

I'm looking for some help on employment references in the event of an ITA.

I've worked for the same company for a number of years in a variety of HR and Operational management roles. There is some cross over, but by and large each role corresponds to a separately defined NOC. The problem is, my contract of employment reflects only my position within the management structure (senior manager, for example) rather than each individual role. So a company reference would do little more than highlight the duration of my employment, rather than the respective duties of each job.

Would it be acceptable to provide individual points of contact within the company to vouch for the duties/tasks of each role I've carried out? Or is there a more rigid expectation on behalf of the Canadian govt?

Also, is there any guidance out there for what good employment references look like?

Many thanks in advance guys,

- Ross

christmasoompa Feb 12th 2019 8:22 am

Re: Employment References

A company reference that only gives the duration of the role won't work, it wouldn't get you any points, the duties need to be listed to be matched up with a NOC code. This from the CIC website:

The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:
  • a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits;
HTH.

Engineer_abroad Feb 12th 2019 2:31 pm

In my experience the easiest way to get this done is to write the draft reference yourself and send to your manager/HR time for verification/edit/official issue.

Aviator Feb 12th 2019 8:10 pm

Some businesses now will only do an employment verification.

crofty82 Feb 12th 2019 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad (Post 12636085)
In my experience the easiest way to get this done is to write the draft reference yourself and send to your manager/HR time for verification/edit/official issue.

Agreed. If you can speak to your employer and see if this is an acceptable course of action then I strongly recommend it.

My wife is the PA for our application and needed a letter from her current and former employer to ensure enough points for an ITA. Both were happy for us to write the letters and they just sign them.

As long as you are truthful in what you write, there hopefully won’t be an issue.