Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Employment Questions - I got a BUNAC TWP!

Employment Questions - I got a BUNAC TWP!

Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Employment Questions - I got a BUNAC TWP!

Originally Posted by canada10
If the candidate gets nominated and gets entitled to a TWP, for how long will this be valid?

Assuming one travels to Canada on a BUNAC (under which you can work for 1 year in the Canada), manages to find a position that falls under 0/A/B, and applies for a TWP through Opportunities Ontario based on this position, would that give you 2 years where you could legally work in Canada? A period during which you could start applying for PR?

Any insigh you might be able to share would be much appreciated.
When you find a position within the NOC code criteria, you must persuade your employer to start the ball rolling, you can't apply until the job has been screened by the Government of Ontario.

I've heard of people getting a 2 year work permit on the back of a PNP nomination, but every case may be different. You can apply for PR as soon as you have been nominated by the province.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

canada10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your quick reply. Does every province have a similar program or this particular way of going about it, exclusive to Ontario?
Old Feb 9th 2010, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for your quick reply. Does every province have a similar program or this particular way of going about it, exclusive to Ontario?
The majority of provinces have a PNP scheme, although they all vary considerably.

Take a look here for further info: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:30 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

If the candidate gets nominated and gets entitled to a TWP, for how long will this work permit be valid?

Assuming one travels to Canada on a BUNAC (under which you can work for 1 year in Canada), manages to find a position that falls under 0/A/B, and applies for a TWP through Opportunities Ontario based on this position, would that give you 2 years in total where you can legally work in Canada? A period during which you could start applying for PR?

Would that be a possible scenario? Any insight you might be able to share would be much appreciated. Thanks!
That is entirely correct from what I have read on the ON PNP page, in fact one of their pre-conditions for PNP seems to be that the applicant then applies for PR as soon as/shortly after the PNP is granted. They view it as a path to settling in that province indefinitely as opposed to a temporary arrangement for a couple of years.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alexisatk
My friend's flatmate came to Canada on YMS program from the US. When her visa was up the GAP was able to sponser her as a retail associate and she only had part-time hours.
Do you know where in Canada she went? I would guess a province where positions under skill level C are eligble for sponsorship? BC?
Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:20 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Well it depends I suppose, if the application states that she performed certain functions (e.g. staff or financial management) whilst there then they could possibly push her up to cat B since the system works on a 'job description' basis.

I thought you could only get PNP for full-time, permanent jobs though.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

If they're going by actual job descriptions when deciding which positions "make the grade", I guess the employer can tailor the description in a way so that it could be claimed the job falls under a certain category, although the actual position might not be listed in the matrix verbatim?

It would be interesting to know how "picky" the government/authorities are when judging the applications. The story about the GAP retail associate seems to suggest it's not impossible at least, which gives some hope

Last edited by canada10; Feb 10th 2010 at 4:43 am.