Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Employment Questions - I got a BUNAC TWP!

Employment Questions - I got a BUNAC TWP!

Old Feb 6th 2010, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Phoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nice
Default Employment Questions - I got a BUNAC TWP!

Been a while since I've posted here. I think the last time I posted was to say that I was basically going to hold off until I got married before doing anything about Canada.

Well now I am happily married and we have both just received confirmation of receiving our Open Work Authorisation letters from BUNAC.

So my first question is, is there any point trying to look for a job before we move to Toronto? If so I'm obviously going to put the fact that I'm legally able to work in Canada on my resume (this seemed to be door closer before), but do I state that its just for one year, or carefully omit that information?

Secondly I think I am exempt from having to get a LMO if I want to apply for a further TWP or PR due to matching the Application Developer profile here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/itw-jobs.asp#jobs6

Shall I advertise this fact on a covering letter? Any suggestions on the best sites to post my resume on? I tried Monster once but all I got was UK employers contacting me when I blatently picked Canada as my destination.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 8:15 am
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice
Default Re: Employment Questions - I got a BUNAC TWP!

I would omit it. I had the reverse problem coming to Scotland on a Working Holiday Visa (I work in IT). Especially since the employer sponsered visas are near impossible to get in the UK, no employer wanted to touch me or have an employee who can only work for one year.

When you go for the interview (especially since you won't sound Canadian), the employer will ask you at that time why you are allowed to work in Canada. I suggest telling them that you are here on a one-year Working Holiday Visa, but that you would like to stay longer. This shouldn't be a problem when employer sponsered visas are easy (compared to UK) to get in Canada. Especially in the IT field.

About Monster, I had the same problem when I moved to the UK and I had Canadian Emploeyrs contacting me. You should delete your UK profile and just leave the Canadian one active.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoresis
Been a while since I've posted here. I think the last time I posted was to say that I was basically going to hold off until I got married before doing anything about Canada.

Well now I am happily married and we have both just received confirmation of receiving our Open Work Authorisation letters from BUNAC.

So my first question is, is there any point trying to look for a job before we move to Toronto? If so I'm obviously going to put the fact that I'm legally able to work in Canada on my resume (this seemed to be door closer before), but do I state that its just for one year, or carefully omit that information?

Secondly I think I am exempt from having to get a LMO if I want to apply for a further TWP or PR due to matching the Application Developer profile here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/itw-jobs.asp#jobs6

Shall I advertise this fact on a covering letter? Any suggestions on the best sites to post my resume on? I tried Monster once but all I got was UK employers contacting me when I blatently picked Canada as my destination.
I wasn't aware that married couples could get a Bunac WHV. Good to know!
Old Feb 6th 2010, 8:35 pm
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

Married couples can get BUNAC if they both qualify for the visa (ie. both have to be UK Citizens and under 30). And I believe both have to be issued a BUNAC visa to be valid.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Phoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nice

Originally Posted by alexisatk
Married couples can get BUNAC if they both qualify for the visa (ie. both have to be UK Citizens and under 30). And I believe both have to be issued a BUNAC visa to be valid.
Yep this is correct. You both have to apply as separate applicants, although you still put each other as spouses on your forms. So theoretically it is possible that one of you might be accepted and the other not.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 9:11 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

This shouldn't be a problem when employer sponsered visas are easy (compared to UK) to get in Canada. Especially in the IT field.
I don't mean to sound pessimistic but I have spoken to at least 3 other users on this forum who's testimonys dispute that and I would have thought that it would be particularly difficult in Toronto as ON doesn't really have PNP at the moment. The last guy I spoke to worked in BC and was turned away at the end of his 12 months despite the fact that work was still being offered to him in spades.

I think you're definitely right though about Canada being slightly more open to these things than the UK.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
and I would have thought that it would be particularly difficult in Toronto as ON doesn't really have PNP at the moment.

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/english/pnp.asp

Launched nearly a year ago, no longer a pilot project, it is employer driven and they are still taking employer applications (they have a quota to fill).

My prospective employer has applied for this on my behalf. Without this, my only option would be an AEO and a lengthy wait for PR.

It is a two stage process. The employer applies first for the job to be approved (has to be NOC 0, A or B, but no advertising requirements). They say this is done within 90 days but most are done within 6 - 8 weeks (from what i've read on BE). When the job is approved the candidate applies for approval (think they ensure candidate's qualifications and experience are a match for the job). Another 90 day wait (again, more likely 6 - 8 weeks), and then the candidate is hopefully nominated and as such is entitled to a TWP whilst PR is processed.

Should also mention, that whilst it is free for emplyers to get a job approved, the candidate has to pay $1500 (or $2000 if job is within GTA) with their application.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 9:45 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie
http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/english/pnp.asp

Should also mention, that whilst it is free for emplyers to get a job approved, the candidate has to pay $1500 (or $2000 if job is within GTA) with their application.
That's a bit pricey isn't it.

I knew that ON had pnp but by all accounts it is a fairly new system and I would imagine that competition could be tougher there than in other areas of the country.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

That's a bit pricey isn't it.

I knew that ON had pnp but by all accounts it is a fairly new system and I would imagine that competition could be tougher there than in other areas of the country.
It is done on a first come first served basis. When the quota is filled, they stop taking applications.

For a two year work permit, I don't think it is that pricey in the grand scheme of things. Just consider it an extra cost for PR.

$1500 (in my case) = approx £900, for a two year work permit for me and my wife.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 9:53 pm
New Scotland Girl

I don't mean to sound pessimistic but I have spoken to at least 3 other users on this forum who's testimonys dispute that and I would have thought that it would be particularly difficult in Toronto as ON doesn't really have PNP at the moment. The last guy I spoke to worked in BC and was turned away at the end of his 12 months despite the fact that work was still being offered to him in spades.
My friend's flatmate came to Canada on YMS program from the US. When her visa was up the GAP was able to sponser her as a retail associate and she only had part-time hours.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 9:54 pm
Sidecar Falcon

It is done on a first come first served basis. When the quota is filled, they stop taking applications.

For a two year work permit, I don't think it is that pricey in the grand scheme of things. Just consider it an extra cost for PR.

$1500 (in my case) = approx £900, for a two year work permit for me and my wife.
Yeah I suppose so and it is currently our first choice of destination especially as my OH has friends there.

I may look into that later on today I think.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 9:57 pm
Sidecar Falcon

My friend's flatmate came to Canada on YMS program from the US. When her visa was up the GAP was able to sponser her as a retail associate and she only had part-time hours.
That's incredible, I can't think of any other country in the western world which would let you get away with that.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

canada10 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a two stage process. The employer applies first for the job to be approved (has to be NOC 0, A or B, but no advertising requirements).
I could be mistaken, but doesn't the text below suggest the employer is still required to show that they have made an effort trying to fill the position with a Canadian before a foreigner can be considered?

"Opportunities Ontario: Provincial Nominee Program is designed in part to assist employers who are having difficulty recruiting qualified, skilled workers in Ontario. Applications from employers who are seeking positions for foreign workers residing abroad, or foreign workers who are visiting Canada, will receive priority processing if those employers have tried to recruit Canadian citizens or permanent residents located in Ontario for those positions before applying to the program."
Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by canada10
I could be mistaken, but doesn't the text below suggest the employer is still required to show that they have made an effort trying to fill the position with a Canadian before a foreigner can be considered?

"Opportunities Ontario: Provincial Nominee Program is designed in part to assist employers who are having difficulty recruiting qualified, skilled workers in Ontario. Applications from employers who are seeking positions for foreign workers residing abroad, or foreign workers who are visiting Canada, will receive priority processing if those employers have tried to recruit Canadian citizens or permanent residents located in Ontario for those positions before applying to the program."
Yes, I've seen that on the application form, however the employer does not have to demonstrate through providing evidence, as they would with an LMO, having advertised the position for a certain amount of time.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

canada10 is an unknown quantity at this point

If the candidate gets nominated and gets entitled to a TWP, for how long will this work permit be valid?

Assuming one travels to Canada on a BUNAC (under which you can work for 1 year in Canada), manages to find a position that falls under 0/A/B, and applies for a TWP through Opportunities Ontario based on this position, would that give you 2 years in total where you can legally work in Canada? A period during which you could start applying for PR?

Would that be a possible scenario? Any insight you might be able to share would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by canada10; Feb 9th 2010 at 1:51 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.