British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Employment Details (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/employment-details-894945/)

MegaJamie Apr 4th 2017 6:41 pm

Employment Details

Hi Everyone,

My husbands employer from several years ago (about 6 and 3 employers ago) has not responded to our requests for confirmation of employment as required by our ITA.

I am the principle applicant and he is not adding points under a skilled or desired role.

Has anyone encountered this? or is aware of the options.

thanks,
J

Shakyuk Apr 5th 2017 9:03 am

Re: Employment Details

Originally Posted by MegaJamie (Post 12221593)
Hi Everyone,

My husbands employer from several years ago (about 6 and 3 employers ago) has not responded to our requests for confirmation of employment as required by our ITA.

I am the principle applicant and he is not adding points under a skilled or desired role.

Has anyone encountered this? or is aware of the options.

thanks,
J

None of mine have failed to respond but two have said it is against company policy to provide such in depth references.

I think your options are:
Ask CIC what you should do,
and/or
Include a copy of your email request to the company in your document upload section and then explain what has happened in your letter of explanation.

NavyBoy Apr 5th 2017 2:30 pm

Would including a pay statement from the company help?

Aviator Apr 5th 2017 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by NavyBoy (Post 12222245)
Would including a pay statement from the company help?

That only shows you were employed for the period covered by the pay slip. Does not confirm job title or responsibilities.

MegaJamie Apr 5th 2017 7:34 pm

Luckily they responded today, some 40 odd days since we first wrote them, and 15 days since the last letter

Ended up sending a recorded delivery letter with a prepaid envelope with return address inside and specifically stating we didnt need a character reference just an employment history.

Shakyuk Apr 6th 2017 8:16 am

CIC do mention adding payslips in the notes on what they'd like to see from employers so it's worth uploading them.

GermanytoCanada Apr 6th 2017 10:44 am

Don't forget that you only need references from those jobs which give you points in EE. So you don't necessarily need references for every job that you or your spouse have had in the last ten years (although all should be mentioned in the personal history section).

For example, my wife, a solicitor, was the PA and I had no Canadian work experience so we only needed references from the law firms she has worked for and not from any other jobs or from any of my employers as only the 3+ years experience as a solicitor were adding any points on EE. My UK employment added nothing and her pre-law employment also added no points in our case so we declared them all in the personal history section but did not put them in work history so that no references were required.

As you have said that you are the PA and he is not adding any points through his employment, I don't think you need to get any references for him.

MegaJamie Apr 7th 2017 6:04 am

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada (Post 12222920)
Don't forget that you only need references from those jobs which give you points in EE. So you don't necessarily need references for every job that you or your spouse have had in the last ten years (although all should be mentioned in the personal history section).

For example, my wife, a solicitor, was the PA and I had no Canadian work experience so we only needed references from the law firms she has worked for and not from any other jobs or from any of my employers as only the 3+ years experience as a solicitor were adding any points on EE. My UK employment added nothing and her pre-law employment also added no points in our case so we declared them all in the personal history section but did not put them in work history so that no references were required.

As you have said that you are the PA and he is not adding any points through his employment, I don't think you need to get any references for him.

Son of a ..... lol i must have missed that bit, I'm not telling him that!