Employment

Old Aug 20th 2002, 4:22 am
Just Joined

Paul O'Brien is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment

Hi, my name is Paul O'Brien, along with my wife and 3 small children, I am planning to move to Victoria BC next year.Could anbody help me with the following.
1. Can I get my qualifications certificated whilst in the UK [I am a teacher and my wife is a Nurse]
2. Would it be easier to get a work visa and move, rather than apply for Landed immigrant status?
Are there any teachers out there that have moved from the UK or elsewhere and have successfully negotiated the red tape.
Many thanks for taking the time
Old Aug 20th 2002, 7:28 am
Philip Street

Default Re: Employment

Hi

My wife and I emmigrated here 2 years ago (Victoria) from the Uk.

As for the first question we used International Credential Assesment Service of
Canada and found them pretty good.

There site is http://www.icascanada.ca

As for the second question, it is usually quite hard to secure a job before getting
landed immigrant status, although I am not an expert on that.

As for teaching jobs, they are pretty slim on the ground on the island due to the
large cuts in Education by the Liberials.

Try this site

http://www.bc4sale.ca/schools/

Should give you a good idea of the type of jobs available.

At least your not in IT since that is impossible to get into at the moment.

As for your wife being a nurse, then there is a good chance she will find work,not
too sure if she has to register or not with her having UK qualifications instead of
BC qualifications.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Regards Phil

"Paul O'Brien" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, my name is Paul O'Brien, along with my wife and 3 small children, I am planning
    > to move to Victoria BC next year.Could anbody help me with the following.
    > 1. Can I get my qualifications certificated whilst in the UK [I am a teacher and my
    > wife is a Nurse]
    > 2. Would it be easier to get a work visa and move, rather than apply for Landed
    > immigrant status? Are there any teachers out there that have moved from the UK
    > or elsewhere and have successfully negotiated the red tape. Many thanks for
    > taking the time
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 25th 2002, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Paul O'Brien:
Hi, my name is Paul O'Brien, along with my wife and 3 small children, I am planning to move to Victoria BC next year.Could anbody help me with the following.
1. Can I get my qualifications certificated whilst in the UK [I am a teacher and my wife is a Nurse]
2. Would it be easier to get a work visa and move, rather than apply for Landed immigrant status?
Are there any teachers out there that have moved from the UK or elsewhere and have successfully negotiated the red tape.
Many thanks for taking the time
Old Aug 25th 2002, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Paul O'Brien:
Reply to Phillip.
Many thanks Phillip, for getting back to me.How do like Victoria? Where did you live in the UK, WE ARE IN bIRMINGHAM.What areas would you recommend/ or not recommend to live in?
Cheers
Paul