Employer filed for bankruptcy!!!

Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:42 am
Just Joined

ustoca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employer filed for bankruptcy!!!

My most recent employer of 8 months filed for bankruptcy, shortly before I received IA and interview waiver. I already had more than 10 years of professional experience before this job.

Canadian Immigration is asking for proof of current employment/work experience only, not the previous ones. I do have an offical letter that states my last day of work from the receiver (who took control of the company), 2004 tax return, employment agreement, 1st and most recent pay stubs, and some work samples. Would these be sufficient? Is a personal reference letter (no letterhead or business card) from my previous manager useful at all?

I am so worried...Please help!
Old Feb 5th 2005, 10:07 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all
Default Re: Employer filed for bankruptcy!!!

Originally Posted by ustoca
My most recent employer of 8 months filed for bankruptcy, shortly before I received IA and interview waiver. I already had more than 10 years of professional experience before this job.

Canadian Immigration is asking for proof of current employment/work experience only, not the previous ones. I do have an offical letter that states my last day of work from the receiver (who took control of the company), 2004 tax return, employment agreement, 1st and most recent pay stubs, and some work samples. Would these be sufficient? Is a personal reference letter (no letterhead or business card) from my previous manager useful at all?

I am so worried...Please help!
You should be fine with all that information you listed depending on what country your Job was in. In some countries with a high percentage of fraudulent work experiece CIC does take a closer look. The only other thing that may still be important is to in some way proove what your exact job duties were. If you get your previous manager to explain everything in his letter, including a contact phone no for CIC to verify that may be helpfull. Also I do believe the reciever has an obligation to give you the reference for the entire time in the company, even if you worked under his control for 1 day only.

Dont worry, you will be fine.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 3:49 am
Just Joined

ustoca is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Employer filed for bankruptcy!!!

Thank you so much for your input.

The job was in the US. Is US considered an area with high percentage of fraudulent applications?

The letter from the receiver has my last day with the company, but does not have job title, responsibilities or salary.

My previous manager, who is also in between jobs for the same reason, is willing to furnish a personal reference that includes my employment duration, job title, key duties, as well as his cell phone number. However, the reference is not prepared on letterhead or attached with his previous business card. Will such letter serve the purpose? What else do I need to do, if any, so as to satisfy Canadian Immigration's request?
Old Feb 6th 2005, 7:36 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all
Default Re: Employer filed for bankruptcy!!!

Originally Posted by ustoca
Thank you so much for your input.

The job was in the US. Is US considered an area with high percentage of fraudulent applications?

The letter from the receiver has my last day with the company, but does not have job title, responsibilities or salary.

My previous manager, who is also in between jobs for the same reason, is willing to furnish a personal reference that includes my employment duration, job title, key duties, as well as his cell phone number. However, the reference is not prepared on letterhead or attached with his previous business card. Will such letter serve the purpose? What else do I need to do, if any, so as to satisfy Canadian Immigration's request?
No, I do not think US is considered that category. They are probably looking more at countries at the top of the (percieved ) corruption Index list. Jim once posted that some of these countries have up to 80% fraudulent applications :scared: . I believe no. 1 and 2 are currently Bangladesh, Nigeria,... (Please no offense to anyone with an honest application from these countries, I happen to have friends from both of them, and looking at the last 2 elections in the US you would wonder on what percieved corruption is ) *endulging in my little conspiracy theory*

You should be fine, but to be safe see if you can rewrite the reference from your reciever for him including job title and duties performed and get him to sign it, if he refuses ask him to do so in writing and you can attach that letter as well. Perhaps you can also pull a copy of the filing for Protection under chapter 11 (bancruptcy) somewhere (Internet??).

Last edited by mhhp; Feb 6th 2005 at 7:39 pm.