Employee Reference Letters

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:08 am
Just Joined

GillK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employee Reference Letters

Hi All

I am just in the process of asking my past employers for references. I have found the below on the CHC website:
Letters must include all of the following information:

• the specific period of your employment with the company
• the positions you have held during the period of employment and the time spent in each position
• your main responsibilities in each position
• your total annual salary plus benefits
• the signature of your immediate supervisor or the personnel officer of the company
• a business card of the person signing

But I wondered does it help speed things up by including any other detials and also how detailed to the above points need to be? How long should the average letter be? For exaple the main responsibilities (considering I'm in Admin... !). The last thing I want is for the process to be slowed down by ommitting information so I'm trying to get it right the first time!

I was also wondering how far back I should go? I'm 23 and have had 3 'proper' jobs working from aged 18 but have had part-time jobs too from age 14... I'm gathering these don't count?!

Thanks

Gill
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 8:15 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employee Reference Letters

Hi Gill:

Include as much info as supports your case and makes you look like a potentially successful PR who will settle well in Canada and adjust.

How long would a UK reference letter be ? One page maybe ? Canada the same.

From aged 18 onwards newspaper round doesn't count

Good luck,

Rich.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:01 pm
Just beginning...

binturong is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Hi Gill:

From aged 18 onwards newspaper round doesn't count
There's no way I'm going to be able to get references from one of my past employers (magazine publisher), as they've gone bankrupt and disappeared. Do you reckon it would be worth including photocopies of the articles/magazine cover pages with my name listed as researcher/writer/editor from the time I was working for them to show my career path with the company and give some idea of my job responsiblities? I'd rather not send originals as I only have the one copy of each issue.

Last edited by binturong; Aug 2nd 2005 at 10:03 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GillK
Hi All

I am just in the process of asking my past employers for references. I have found the below on the CHC website:
Letters must include all of the following information:

• the specific period of your employment with the company
• the positions you have held during the period of employment and the time spent in each position
• your main responsibilities in each position
• your total annual salary plus benefits
• the signature of your immediate supervisor or the personnel officer of the company
• a business card of the person signing

But I wondered does it help speed things up by including any other detials and also how detailed to the above points need to be? How long should the average letter be? For exaple the main responsibilities (considering I'm in Admin... !). The last thing I want is for the process to be slowed down by ommitting information so I'm trying to get it right the first time!

I was also wondering how far back I should go? I'm 23 and have had 3 'proper' jobs working from aged 18 but have had part-time jobs too from age 14... I'm gathering these don't count?!

Thanks

Gill
Me again! I've just heard back from one of my bosses and believe it or not he does not own business cards and has never had one... does this matter or am i just being stupid and pedantic?!
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:03 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binturong
There's no way I'm going to be able to get references from one of my past employers (magazine publisher), as they've gone bankrupt and disappeared. Do you reckon it would be worth including photocopies of the articles/magazine cover pages with my name listed as researcher/writer/editor from the time I was working for them to show my career path with the company and give some idea of my job responsiblities? I'd rather not send originals as I only have the one copy of each issue.

You can show printout from Companies House website thus proving the company history.

Good idea ref the copies of magazine pages. Be good to get them notarized as otherwise it might look dubious to CIC officer ? (i.e. anyone could copy and manipulate text to add in their own name.

Plus, boss without business card is fine so long as letterhead and other stuff looks (and is) genuine.

Alternatively, regarding problematic references, ex colleagues can write letter outlining proof of working relationship, role, responsibilities etc.

To do the best, is all you can do.

Rich.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rich_007
You can show printout from Companies House website thus proving the company history.

Good idea ref the copies of magazine pages. Be good to get them notarized as otherwise it might look dubious to CIC officer ? (i.e. anyone could copy and manipulate text to add in their own name.

Plus, boss without business card is fine so long as letterhead and other stuff looks (and is) genuine.

Alternatively, regarding problematic references, ex colleagues can write letter outlining proof of working relationship, role, responsibilities etc.

To do the best, is all you can do.

Rich.
lol i hope the headed paper will be genuine i used to work for the bbc and that's the boss that doesn't have the business card! Thanks for your help Rich you're a star!
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 4:05 am
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

wow, talk about timing I was just going to post a similar question myself!

One further thing though, what do you do about your current employer? I'd rather they not know what I'm doing, as I could still have to work here for the next two years, or longer if I'm rejected.

Last edited by SirTainly; Aug 3rd 2005 at 4:08 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Kazphillips will become famous soon enoughKazphillips will become famous soon enough

Hiya

Personally I did tell my current employer about my plans but I made a point of stressing how long the processing times are at the moment etc. That way they know that I will 'definitely' be around for at least two more years. In a way it is good for them, once your application is in then you aren't going to want to change jobs (and then have to notify CHC etc) so you are more or less saying you will work for them for two years or more. And face it - in this day and age where people swap jobs at the drop of a hat - how many other employees make that commitment to their employer?

In my experiences my employers were incredibly supportive and even let me use their photocopier for my application!!

Kaz x

Originally Posted by SirTainly
One further thing though, what do you do about your current employer? I'd rather they not know what I'm doing, as I could still have to work here for the next two years, or longer if I'm rejected.