Wikiposts

Emmigrating to canada

Old May 22nd 2007, 4:46 am
Just Joined

nuno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emmigrating to canada

Dear all,

I have posted this same (ctrl+c) message by mistake in meet and greet section.

I have dual nationality (british and portuguese) and a big desire to move to canada. My parents did take care of the paperwork back in 1975 for them and their 3 children (me inclusive ). I have an IMM1000 stating me as landed immigrant on the 8th feb 1976 but we never took up residence - they did not want to remain (too lengthy to explain why). Have I lost all rights to live in canada or is there anyway, besides going through all the process of a skilled worker, to get it back?

I should add that I have my dad's best friend in Toronto who will give me housing till I get on my feet and I have an available job there waiting for me as soon as I arrive.

Can my friend sponsor me?
Old May 22nd 2007, 5:18 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emmigrating to canada

Hi

Originally Posted by nuno
Dear all,

I have dual nationality (british and portuguese) and a big desire to move to canada. My parents did take care of the paperwork back in 1975 for them and their 3 children (me inclusive ). I have an IMM1000 stating me as landed immigrant on the 8th feb 1976 but we never took up residence - they did not want to remain (too lengthy to explain why). Have I lost all rights to live in canada or is there anyway, besides going through all the process of a skilled worker, to get it back?

I should add that I have my dad's best friend in Toronto who will give me housing till I get on my feet and I have an available job there waiting for me as soon as I arrive.

Yes you have lost your PR status under all three Immigration Acts. You will have to apply again as a skilled worker. Only close relatives in Canada, see www.cic.gc.ca will give 5 additional points.
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:58 am
Just Joined

nuno is an unknown quantity at this point

thx for your enlightning :curse:

I do have another situation to take into consideration: as i said before, i have dual nationlity, and which would be the best consulate to send my aplication to?
Paris? lived all my life in portugal (i'm 36y) or london as a British citizen?
Old May 22nd 2007, 7:18 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you have to send your application to the office appropriate to the location where you currently reside, so for Lisbon I believe this is the Paris office, but you'd need to check.

Historically Paris has been quicker than London, but things have changed a little recently I seem to recall from the last time I checked the average processing times.
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nuno
Dear all,

Sorry I can not help in your quest for info, but GOOD LUCK getting to Canada anyway
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
I believe you have to send your application to the office appropriate to the location where you currently reside, so for Lisbon I believe this is the Paris office, but you'd need to check.

Historically Paris has been quicker than London, but things have changed a little recently I seem to recall from the last time I checked the average processing times.
If he is a dual British/Portuguese citizen then he has a choice of where to apply: London or Paris.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/offices/apply-where.html

If he was resident elsewhere, there may be a third option available.