Emigration agents - UK to Canada

Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:21 am
Just Joined

stephaniegeorgia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigration agents - UK to Canada

I have visited a few sites and filled out questionnaires and mock point add ups etc with a few of these companies you find on-line.
Apparently , as a couple, we score 83 points.
Does anyoine have any tips or warnings perhaps about using these companies to process our application for Skilled workers immigration?
Old Jul 10th 2007, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of
Default Re: Emigration agents - UK to Canada

Could you not just submit your application yourself rather than paying to go through an agent, if you feel you will have enough points to submit via the skilled worker route. It would save paying out lots of money? you can get all the forms and information you need online from the Canadian Immigration website.

Lisa
Old Jul 10th 2007, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Kabel will become famous soon enough

I was under the impression that skilled worker applications were done with a primary applicant, naming spouses, children etc on it. So the points allocated are for the primary applicant rather than as a couple.

If I've got things at all mixed up I'm sure I'll be corrected.

Ditto for the use of an agent. If your application is pretty straightforward and you don't feel that you would cock it up then why pay for someone to do it for you? If you do use one though try and pick someone recommended - it's a lot to have resting on someone that you have no knowledge of.

Kabel
Old Jul 10th 2007, 6:11 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

OP may have said as a couple as while you apply with a principal applicant, you do get extra points for what your spouse/partner does, their education level and experience as well (between 5 and 10 points I think).

If you think you have the points, and there is nothing very complication in your background or how you are going to be living the next few years then don't bother with an agent. Just be very careful and take your time filling out the forms. Any questions just ask them on here.

Oh and it may be worth you just getting an assessment with an agent anyway to nail down your points a bit more. Andrew Miller on here is a great guy and very helpful. I believe he'll do a free assessment and if you do go with an agent even though I've not used him I'd recommend him as he definitely knows his stuff and seems very good at his job.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

stephaniegeorgia is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies - some common sense there.

When i say we - it is my husband who has been offered the job - i am the spouse and we have two children - 1 and 3 yrs old.

The on line assessments we done seemed to score well for us - i assume anything over 70 is a pretty good score? ...But i am a bit cynical thinking these on line tools are just trying to coerce you into parting with money by convincing you that you are very eligible etc...

I guess the independent route is the best option - can you re-apply if you mess up somehow?

Thanks..
Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

Hi

If you have missed anything important which they require, they will contact you. But they do provide pretty comprehensive checklists and information to help with filling the forms in, so as Ben Bell says if you take your time and double check everything you should be OK

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...lled/index.asp

this page on the website starts you off. Sorry it has not come out as a direct link and I am not sure how to make it into a direct link, but at least you know where I mean!!

I take that back, it looks like it might have come out as a link!!
Lisa
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stephaniegeorgia
Thanks for the replies - some common sense there.

When i say we - it is my husband who has been offered the job - i am the spouse and we have two children - 1 and 3 yrs old.
Thanks..
We did it this way. I was offered a job, so we applied for PR prior to leaving for Canada on a Work Permit. As a couple we had a point score similar to yours...somewhere in the low to mid-80s. We had 3 kids aged 2, 4 & 6 when we moved. They made the adjustment really well. After all, kids at that age just need their folks. Doesn't really make a difference where you are!

We did all the paperwork ourselves. It is extensive, but saved on having to pay lawyer / consultancy fees. Actually took over a month to gather the required documents

Anyway we were living in Canada less than 3 months after the job offer.

Hope it all goes well for you!
Rob
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:55 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, even if you use a representative, they won't collate all the paperwork for you - that's still your job. Spend a few hours reading the various posts here and the stuff on the CIC web site - so long as there's nothing complicated in your application, you should be fine doing it yourself. Things to watch out for include getting police clearance from countries you've spent more than 6 months in, any complicated family relationships (custody of kids, etc), nasty health conditions or potential problems in proving your work history. None of these things should be insurmountable though, and there's a wealth of knowledge on these forums.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Also, even if you use a representative, they won't collate all the paperwork for you - that's still your job. Spend a few hours reading the various posts here and the stuff on the CIC web site - so long as there's nothing complicated in your application, you should be fine doing it yourself. Things to watch out for include getting police clearance from countries you've spent more than 6 months in, any complicated family relationships (custody of kids, etc), nasty health conditions or potential problems in proving your work history. None of these things should be insurmountable though, and there's a wealth of knowledge on these forums.
My company paid for an immigration lawyer. It was from the lawyer firm that my company used - top firm in BC and I found them more stressful than help.

Basically the lawyer felt she knew what she was doing and hence never kept me informed. She never dicussed my options and never told me about the PNP which is perfect for me to take.

So bascially what I am saying is that yes it is really scary but then things in life that matter to you are. But this is a great place to get advice and better in my opinion because people are going through the same personal experiences.

For example we're living in Canada at the moment on 1 year WP and applying for PR through the PNP from here. What confused me was whether we were residents of Canada or not as we didn't have PR but we are residents here, be it just temp at the moment. Once it was clarified to me that we are residents of Canada, but permanaent residents of the UK then it was all ok.

Once you get more familar with the terminology then it's less scary.

You care the most about this so you will put in the most effort, and you know your case and history.

In the end, I felt that I was spending so much time making sure that she was doing the right thing that it was useless for my company to pay her fees so we sacked her.

I would trust an on-line immigrant website even less than this lawyer and that is saying something!

My advice is if in doubt get professional advice on a specific aspect of the process or question, but handle the over all application yourself.

Good luck