British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Emigration about Halifax (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/emigration-about-halifax-931108/)

emmmy Feb 14th 2020 6:19 pm

Emigration about Halifax

Hello everyone
I am a 47 year old single mother with a 15 year old daughter and a 6 year old son.
I'm a Japanese person and have lived in Hungary for a year and a half.
I want to move to Canada this September.
I needed to make a quick decision and posted it here without much time for research.
I understand that there are many mistakes because English is an elementary level, but please understand.
I'm looking for a way for my child to get education in Canada as long as possible.
I don't have enough funding, but I'm looking for a way for my child to get an education in Canada as long as possible.
Quebec and Halifax are exempt from tuition for children at their parent's language school. I think the Quebec PEQ system is the fastest way, but French is a big obstacle for me. So I will go to a language school in Halifax and then choose a way to attend a state program. I've been working on the web for freelance, so it would be best if I could work at Halifax.
My choice is information only on the Internet, and I'm worried because I haven't asked any experts.
Please give me knowledge and wisdom.
Thank you for your advice.

Silverdragon102 Feb 15th 2020 12:29 am

Re: Emigration about Halifax

I can’t see you moving for September. If you are planning on coming as a student you are required to show proof that you can pay for your study, have enough living expenses for you and family members and prove you will leave at the end of your study.

It isn’t very clear on how you are planing on moving to Halifax. Suggest reading the CIC website

christmasoompa Feb 15th 2020 10:09 am

Originally Posted by emmmy (Post 12806740)
Hello everyone
I am a 47 year old single mother with a 15 year old daughter and a 6 year old son.
I'm a Japanese person and have lived in Hungary for a year and a half.
I want to move to Canada this September.
I needed to make a quick decision and posted it here without much time for research.
I understand that there are many mistakes because English is an elementary level, but please understand.
I'm looking for a way for my child to get education in Canada as long as possible.
I don't have enough funding, but I'm looking for a way for my child to get an education in Canada as long as possible.
Quebec and Halifax are exempt from tuition for children at their parent's language school. I think the Quebec PEQ system is the fastest way, but French is a big obstacle for me. So I will go to a language school in Halifax and then choose a way to attend a state program. I've been working on the web for freelance, so it would be best if I could work at Halifax.
My choice is information only on the Internet, and I'm worried because I haven't asked any experts.
Please give me knowledge and wisdom.
Thank you for your advice.

Hi, welcome to BE. You haven't said how you plan to move to Canada by September - what visa will you be on? You say you'll go to a language school so will you be on a study permit? Whether you can work or not, and whether your children can attend school for free will depend on your own visa, so if you can give us more info about your planned move, we can try and help.

emmmy Feb 17th 2020 5:32 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I'd like to ask about which city is best for me Montreal and Halifax for getting immigration visa.

My situation is:
My English skill is poor, like IELTS score 3.0~4.0
I can't speak any French.
I have a job, but the income is a little bit.
I can provide my balance for living in Canada for 1 year.
In Japan, we have to pay much money for education.

I will go to Canada as a student at a language school, I mean, get a study permit for 6 months from this September. Then, I will go to vocational school for 1 year. After that, I'd like to get immigration visa.

Now, I work via the internet, so I will study while working. However, my income is not enough for our expense in Japan, that is why I decided to go to Canada.

First, I have to leave Hungary, because I was divorced, so go back to Japan in June. I will apply to a school via the agent and visa by myself in Japan. Then, I'll go to Canada.

The reason that I asked about it is I think almost time limit for deciding a city and a language school in my plan.

christmasoompa Feb 17th 2020 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by emmmy (Post 12807936)
I'd like to ask about which city is best for me Montreal and Halifax for getting immigration visa.

In all honesty, I'm not sure either will be possible judging from what you've said about your language skills and only having funds for a year.

I can provide my balance for living in Canada for 1 year.

Only one year? How much do you have? And which school are you looking at in Halifax for your course?

I will go to Canada as a student at a language school, I mean, get a study permit for 6 months from this September. Then, I will go to vocational school for 1 year. After that, I'd like to get immigration visa.

You won't qualify for PR after just because you've studied in Canada. You'll need to qualify another way. Is the vocational school linked to the language course, or will you need two separate study permits? And is the first course more than 6 months in duration?

Now, I work via the internet, so I will study while working.

It depends on the job, what exactly do you do? You can't assume you can do any job whilst studying in Canada, if it's more than the hours allowed whilst on a study permit, it may not be possible.

First, I have to leave Hungary, because I was divorced, so go back to Japan in June. I will apply to a school via the agent and visa by myself in Japan. Then, I'll go to Canada.

Just checking, but you have permission from your ex to remove your child and take him/her to Canada? That will be required too (written permission or a court order). You don't need an agent for a simple study permit, it's very easy to do yourself even if you don't speak English very well. Save your money, Canada is an expensive country!

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

emmmy Feb 23rd 2020 1:20 pm

Thank you for your advice and details. I decided to go to Halifax.

You said I have to qualify another way, but I couldn't find the way. Please let me know about it. I can't live in Japan, the reason is that it's difficult to get a job because of my age. I'd like to choose another country that I can get chance regardless of age, even if I have to learn English!

I can't say my balance, but I just say I can live in Canada for 1 year and half or more by my balance. The period depends on my income.
In Halifax, I'm thinking about going to cllc which is not connect with vocational school, so I have to get an IELTS sore 5.5 over for vocational school. For it, I will have a test in Japan until going to Canada. My goal in Japan is IELTS overall 5.0, and will get score 0.5 more in Canada for 6 months. Yes, I will have 2 separate study permits for language school and vocational school. I use an agent for applying to language school, because it's free, but for getting study permit I will do by myself.

About my job, I just have a job from Japanese friends, so I pay the tax to Japan and actually I can do in Canada.

My ex-husband is in Japan and I can't contact with him, but I heard many single women are in Canada without permission from their ex. So, I just prepare a document which provide that I take custody. In Japan, always a parent can have a custody, I mean 100% custody for a parent and another one can't have an authority.

Siouxie Feb 23rd 2020 3:45 pm

Age will be a factor if you wish to live in Canada permanently - immigration to Canada is based on a points system where young educated professionals have more chance of getting high points and being picked to become Permanent Residents. Attending school may give you a few points towards that, but you really need to check your CRS score before paying out all this money for studying and living in Canada. Complete it as though you have taken the course and have your IELTS results - and see how many points you might get - this is only to see if you might get enough points to emigrate to Canada. If it's less than 460 then you are unlikely to be invited from the pool of applicants and might have to see if you could emigrate through a Provincial program (in your case, Nova Scotia would be good to look at, if you are hoping to attend school there) or by being offered a job. Often you will need several years of work experience to apply through Express Entry or Provincial Nomination, so do check that.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp
https://novascotiaimmigration.com/move-here/

Do check that the language school / vocational school are on the designated educational establishments list or you won't get a study permit at all. https://www.canada.ca/en/services/im...ng_institution

As a student you may be allowed to work up to 20 hours a week and more during the vacation time at the end of each semester - however, if you work in Canada you may be required to pay taxes in Canada too.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...num=496&top=15

Please see this link with regards to bringing your children to Canada and what documentation you will need - it will be checked as you enter Canada, if you don't have what is required they can refuse to allow entry. I would strongly suggest following the regulations for Canada - failure to do so can result in applications being refused. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...um=1022&top=16

christmasoompa Feb 23rd 2020 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12810622)
Age will be a factor if you wish to live in Canada permanently - immigration to Canada is based on a points system where young educated professionals have more chance of getting high points and being picked to become Permanent Residents. Attending school may give you a few points towards that, but you really need to check your CRS score before paying out all this money for studying and living in Canada. Complete it as though you have taken the course and have your IELTS results - and see how many points you might get - this is only to see if you might get enough points to emigrate to Canada. If it's less than 460 then you are unlikely to be invited from the pool of applicants and might have to see if you could emigrate through a Provincial program (in your case, Nova Scotia would be good to look at, if you are hoping to attend school there) or by being offered a job. Often you will need several years of work experience to apply through Express Entry or Provincial Nomination, so do check that.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp
https://novascotiaimmigration.com/move-here/

To add to Siouxie’s excellent post, worth noting that at the moment you’re not eligible for PR via Express Entry regardless of points score as your English level isn’t high enough. You need a minimum of 6.0 in all bands to qualify.

At the moment I don’t see any way for you to get PR in Canada from what you’ve said, so your study in Canada will just be an expensive temporary stay - is it worth spending tens of thousands of dollars for that?

HTH.

christmasoompa Feb 23rd 2020 6:04 pm

Also, you say “I can live in Canada for 1 year and half or more by my balance. The period depends on my income”, but it doesn’t work like that. You have to show you have the funds in your bank account to get the visa, so you’ll need to show the cost of the course, plus $14,000 per year (or part thereof) when you apply. In other words, for 18 months you’ll need at least $28,000 plus the course fees.

Which course are you thinking of at CLLC? Not all are eligible for study permits (and none are eligible for PGWP’s in case you weren’t already aware).