emigrating to Canada.

Old Oct 1st 2014, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

aliciamarsland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: emigrating to Canada.

No, I am currently tackling the nursing application NNAS. So they don't have RPN in Ontario? As that suggests a two year college diploma qualification. Obviously I have a 3 year university diploma.

Cerri, correct me if I am wrong but I am under the impression that you can?

Moving province isn't an option. We will have the set up there. If I have to go back to studying then that is something I will have to consider.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

They do have RPN in Ontario, it is the only province that calls their LPN's RPN's. Registration Guides - CNO

You could apply as a RPN but if you are missing certain hours both clinical and theory they may not approve you to sit the RPN Canadian exam.

I have been classed as a Diploma Nurse and working and have been for over 4 years. I will do my BSN but with a UK university as it is much cheaper than here in Canada
Old Oct 1st 2014, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply for RPN in Ontario - I as still not sure where you would stand because your training is paeds based. You can apply for RN and RPN concurrently, but it will cost you.

Have you considered applying and maybe trying BC? I know you have your heart set on Ontario, but that could maybe be done at a later date if you get registration in another province?

I really don't know how being paeds trained and not generalist trained is going to affect you - that is something you will only find out by applying to NNAS. As I said before, it is a new system for Canada - and no one really knows how it will change the application process.

Applicants in Ontario who do not have a degree have been put forward to do the OSCE - but I put that down to the CNO knowing the system was changing and did not want to take the time to properly assess the applicants qualifications.

I think your best bet is to do your NNAS application - maybe for Ontario and another province where a degree is not required. Then just wait for the outcome. The process is not supposed to take too long now?? Their website should give you more info on times.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 11:46 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

So I did the three yr Diploma in Nursing in the UK but I went through adult training...assessment of qualification/employment and transcripts of University course is currently taking 20 weeks, although I think this can vary upwards. I should hopefully hear in October about suitability to undertake the RPN exam which they do have working as Caleo and others state..

Much like Caleo I came over with my husband, so I'm doing this for my own personal benefit. I'm not sure how I would feel if I needed to be a duel breadwinner in this. Lots of nurses give up even trying to get through this process. If you enjoy your job now, then I would think really hard about the other reasons you want to come. They will need to pretty solid if you are going to out yourself through this.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 2:16 am
Just Joined

It would need to work but my husband earns well so I would only be working part tin e having only a 5 month old baby. I would asko be doing for my self, like everyone we have all worked hard to get where we are career wise and I do love my job. By the sounds of it my best option would be to apply for the RPN and potentially go back to studying if I want to become a RN. I do intend to work everytime I come back to England to see family so that I keep my British registration up.
I suppose like the rest of you, it's just dissapoibtibg that our qualifications are not recognised. What will be interesting is comparing the difference in nursing.
As I have mentioned in previisu posts we are keeping a house in England, so if all fails we have a safety net back here. Its something we really want to do as a family and I think if we didIdn't try it now then we will regret. It may not work out but it's worth the tiresome application process.
Those of you that are living in Canada, how do you find it?
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy life here - my husband is canadian - the children settled in well. We do far more here than we did in the UK. We explore more and go for more walks etc. we only get 2 weeks holiday a year (a huge difference from what I was getting in the UK NHS!!!!!) But I think nurses in hospitals get a bit more as they are unionised.

It took me 2 years to feel like I was "home". Probably took longer because of all the extra stresses and frustrations of trying to become an RN. I struggled to find work before I got my RPN - because I was not really qualified to do anything else!! I have been in my current job for a year - and it is a developing role, but I enjoy it and I get to use my knowledge to help people. I am not sure how happy I would be if I was working in a nursing home - which would probably be where I would have to work if I had not been fortunate enough to have been offered my current position.

I worked Mon-Fri 9-5 in the UK, and I was not looking forward to working shifts again-------I spent 15 years doing that - so I am enjoying the fact that I would 9-5 mon-fri.

It is not easy moving countries, making friends etc. the weather can be pretty harsh too. I find life here very different to England.

I do enjoy our life here though
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for their help and support. I will keep you all updated with the progress and no doubt will ask more questions.

Fingers crossed x
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, definitely let us know how your application goes - with the NNAS being new, it will be interesting to hear how it works out!

Just be patient and make sure everything is planned out well.

Good luck!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 1:58 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aliciamarsland
It would need to work but my husband earns well so I would only be working part tin e having only a 5 month old baby. I would asko be doing for my self, like everyone we have all worked hard to get where we are career wise and I do love my job. By the sounds of it my best option would be to apply for the RPN and potentially go back to studying if I want to become a RN. I do intend to work everytime I come back to England to see family so that I keep my British registration up.
I suppose like the rest of you, it's just dissapoibtibg that our qualifications are not recognised. What will be interesting is comparing the difference in nursing.
As I have mentioned in previisu posts we are keeping a house in England, so if all fails we have a safety net back here. Its something we really want to do as a family and I think if we didIdn't try it now then we will regret. It may not work out but it's worth the tiresome application process.
Those of you that are living in Canada, how do you find it?
It's no secret on expat that I have found it tough. I fully appreciate that life is better here apart from the big issue of not doing the job I used to value and that I have been at times heartbreakingly homesick.... But we are staying for the time being... For me, things which might have made this easier are where we decided to locate. Far away from a big DGH type hospital, when I finally get to work it won't be in the same environment which I think I will miss but I'm hoping I'll be so relieved to be finally there...I won't care!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute

The same situation works when a Canadian nurse moves to the UK. A good friend moved to be with her engineer husband who had been offered a very well paying job in London. She had her Bachelors of Science in Nursing, specializing in Pediatrics Oncology. After 2 years she still could not get her qualifications recognized in the UK and gave up. It was particularly frustrating knowing that nurses from some of the new members of the EU who could barely speak English had no problem obtaining work.