emigrating to Canada.

Old Sep 23rd 2014, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

aliciamarsland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default emigrating to Canada.

Hi All.

Sorry in advance if this subject has been exhausted.

My Husband, 5 month son and I are considering moving to Canada.

The situation is.
Our house is on the market and we have hopefully made a good amount of equity, therefore, have the cash to emigrate.

I am a children's nurse at Great Ormond Street hospital and have been working there for 5 years. I'm currently on maternity leave.
My husband is a web developer and works from home. He can continue as he is but work in Canada from home.

We have friends in Canada who have a spare property that we can rent from them for two year and then we can buy if Canada is still the place for us

I have just started the process of looking into the logistic.
I believe my profession meets the criteria, however I am slightly baffled with where to go from here.

Any advice will be much appreciated. And again sorry if you all feel this subject has been exhausted.

Kind regards
Alicia
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 9:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: emigrating to Canada.

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Sounds like you've rather put the horse before the cart if you've thought about selling your house but haven't actually got a visa yet!

The whole visa and licensing process will take quite a while, were you planning on selling anyway, or was it just to move to Canada?

You're correct that your job is on 'the list' of eligible occupations for a Skilled Worker visa, so assuming that you meet the other criteria (enough points, no criminal record, pass the medical etc), then you could apply for PR via that route. You will however, need to get a move on with it, as it's likely that the quota for your NOC will be filling up fast (and may even be full already), so don't delay!

The first thing to do is to download the application pack from the CIC website, and then you can see all the required documents on the document checklist, and what you need to fill in to apply, where you need to send it etc. Once you've got that, you'll see that your very first step is to book your IELTS and get your ECA sent off asap, as those will take the longest. The rest of the documents you can gather whilst those are being processed.

But do be very aware of the processing times, even if you do get PR granted you may want to hold off selling your house as you won't be moving for a while! You can check out processing times for FSW visas here - Processing times for federal skilled worker applications

And nursing registration can take a year or more from what I understand, so that's another thing to get cracking with. Have a search of the forum for info on how to go about that, it will depend on the province.

But start the application as soon as you can if you do want to move, so you don't miss out!

Best of luck.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your quick response.

We were selling anyway as we do require a bigger house now we have the little one.

We didn't realise that we would make so much on the house, therefore feel the time is right to emigrate.

We are planning on buying a cheaper house and renting it out so that we do have a security cushion remaining in the UK.

I understand that this process will take a long time, this is why we will buy in the UK so that we have a place to stay whilst everything is going through.

Although, I am sure it is not an easy process.

Would you recommend we go through an agency or would you suggest doing it independently.

Kind regards

Alicia
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 9:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aliciamarsland
Thank you for your quick response.

We were selling anyway as we do require a bigger house now we have the little one.

We didn't realise that we would make so much on the house, therefore feel the time is right to emigrate.

We are planning on buying a cheaper house and renting it out so that we do have a security cushion remaining in the UK.

I understand that this process will take a long time, this is why we will buy in the UK so that we have a place to stay whilst everything is going through.

Although, I am sure it is not an easy process.

Would you recommend we go through an agency or would you suggest doing it independently.

Kind regards

Alicia
Ah, I see, I was thinking you were selling to move abroad!

Personally, unless you have complicated circumstances (medical issues, criminal record etc), then I don't see any need to use a consultant, most on the forum just do it on their own. The forms aren't complicated, but once you've downloaded them then have a look and see if you think you need help filling them out or not.

If you're concerned about making sure your app is accepted then there are application checking services you can pay for a fraction of the cost of a consultant, so maybe look in to that?

The main thing to do is get things moving today by booking your IELTS etc. If you miss out on this year's quota for your NOC then you'd have to apply under the new system next year, which is predicted to be much harder for most to qualify.

Best of luck.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

nurses are in demand (i know of two UK ones that emigrated here)
the rules may have changed but check the age of babies to emigrate as there has to be a medical, this may influence when you can come, again i know an english couple had to wait a few months till their new born reached the minimum age, I cant remember the details though.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about nurses being on demand much these days as many provinces struggle. I know Alberta has been laying nurses off not employing them. A lot will vary from province to province but starting point now for nurses is NNAS who will assess all IEN paperwork before applying to provincial college of RN's so expect the process to take longer. Also nurses are generalist trained so hours are required in Paeds, mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult. Most provinces also now require IEN to go through some form of assessment and many that we here from all have to go for further training which adds time and $$
Old Sep 24th 2014, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Sorry, what do you mean hours are required?
Old Sep 24th 2014, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

your transcripts from nursing school/university need to show clinical and theory hours in the areas I posted
Old Sep 24th 2014, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Ok, I think it does but will double check.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

here is a link to NNAS and I would start the process now if you are sure that your transcripts show both clinical and theory. The process will probably take longer now the NNAs process has been started so probably looking at anything over 12 months before finding out if eligible or not.Also processess and maintaining license is not cheap here in Canada and you have to pay every year to maintain license and I know we have just been informed in NS that our fees are going up yet again (went up last year) to nearly $600 a year from next year. This year it is $565

NNAS / SNEI
Old Sep 24th 2014, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Currently we pay £100 a year to the NMC for our licence, also I pay £20 a month to be with a union.

So before I apply for jobs I have to go through this process? I'm assuming I need a job offer to be eligible to live in Canada? Ontario is the province that we hopefully wi be living.

Sorry if any of the above sounds stupid, however some of the information I find on sites unclear.

Kind regards
Alicia
Old Sep 24th 2014, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes you have to go through the process. Most if not all jobs I have seen advertised expect a pass in the Canadian exams or eligibility to sit the exam. Union fees are taken out each pay and fee will vary depending on whether full,part time or casual. If you have over 12 months experience you could look at FSW route
Old Sep 24th 2014, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Yes I have been nursing including univercity degree 8 years now.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 7:58 am
Just Joined

I am still no clearer regarding this visa process.
Can I apply for a job before applying for a visa.
Would that be better then applying for a visa then finding a job. Also it said for FW it takes 27 months?

Regards

Alicia
Old Sep 25th 2014, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

If there are still applicants allowed for FSW as RN then you can apply for that now, if all gone then you will have to wait for the list category to reopen and then send in your application and yes the process can take several months and medicals will be required. Alternatively you could apply for jobs now however like I mentioned previously most employers are looking for eligibility or pass in the Canadian exam and medicals for you will be required as working in the healthcare field.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.