Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Eloping and it's effect on spouse sponsorship

Eloping and it's effect on spouse sponsorship

Old Nov 16th 2016, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Bpool is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Eloping and it's effect on spouse sponsorship

Hi everyone,

Does anybody have any knowledge or experience on spouse sponsorship, moreso the level of scrutiny received during the sponsoring process. My Canadian girlfriend and I are planning to have a small wedding in Toronto city hall with two of her friends as witnesses. We've been together for around 1 year 5months. We met in Australia and dated for 3months, went on a month long holiday, spent 5months apart (still spoke everyday and maintained the relationship), she then moved to and worked in the UK for 5months (we spent almost every weekend together) she has gone back home now and the christmas holidays are the only time we get off work/college and therefore is the date for a rushed marriage.

I guess my question is on the definition of a marriage of convenience. Technically we are marrying so I can move to Canada but the reason for that move is to be with the person I love. It is a convenient move in the sense that it will allow us to be together. What will their view be? We have never shared a place of living but lived in shared accommodation together for the first three months and then copious amounts of hotel rooms. She has also stayed at my parents house where I live a heap of times.

I'm rambling a bit but I think I'm being clear enough. I'm a big worrier about all of this and any reassurance would be great. Any advice or warning, even negative, would also be appreciated.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 6:18 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eloping and it's effect on spouse sponsorship

I don't see it as a problem unless you make a silly mistake like tell them you got married for convenience.

I met my wife (to be) on line "by accident" and things developed from there. I had a series of visits over a few months and we decided to make a life together.

It wasn't practical for her and her kids to move to England and we couldn't have hit the 12 months living together with her in Canada and me in England unless I upped and moved over for a year and unable to work we'd never have met the minimum income requirement for unmarried spousal sponsorship anyway.

So we married because none of those rules applied. Married at the city hall/court house (9 of us altogether and 8 months after first physical meeting) and we had a short honeymoon before I returned to the UK to finish work, sell house etc.

So the sponsorship application included periods of my visits to Canada, references to me having left job in UK, names/relationships of attendees at the wedding and dinner, wedding photos, honeymoon photos, relocation/resettling plans.

Nobody was contacted.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK there still exists a fiancé visa that me and my wife obtained prior to marrying after a long distance relationship.

To satisfy the UKBA we had records of photos, travel logs, letters from parents and friends confirming the relationship, phone records, sample emails/letters.

Think along these lines and you should be fine.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Bpool is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I don't see it as a problem unless you make a silly mistake like tell them you got married for convenience.

I met my wife (to be) on line "by accident" and things developed from there. I had a series of visits over a few months and we decided to make a life together.

It wasn't practical for her and her kids to move to England and we couldn't have hit the 12 months living together with her in Canada and me in England unless I upped and moved over for a year and unable to work we'd never have met the minimum income requirement for unmarried spousal sponsorship anyway.

So we married because none of those rules applied. Married at the city hall/court house (9 of us altogether and 8 months after first physical meeting) and we had a short honeymoon before I returned to the UK to finish work, sell house etc.

So the sponsorship application included periods of my visits to Canada, references to me having left job in UK, names/relationships of attendees at the wedding and dinner, wedding photos, honeymoon photos, relocation/resettling plans.

Nobody was contacted.
That's reassuring! How long did the process take from you getting married to recieving PR?
Old Nov 16th 2016, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bpool
That's reassuring! How long did the process take from you getting married to recieving PR?
First, how long will it take you to get all the forms done, police certificates, photos, medical etc. and get the completed spousal sponsorship pack to CIC Mississauga. Probably 6 - 8 weeks min if you motor it. It is a lot of work, but excellent guides in the wiki section of this forum so you can certainly do it yourself.

Then add the processing time for CIC - which in turn depends on which visa office they send it to (you have no choice) - if London, factor in an additional 10 months min, if Ottawa maybe 4 months overall. Check out current timescales in the spreadsheet link on my signature line.

Oh - an you don't receive PR, you receive a 'Conditional Offer of Permanent Residence' with a 'must use by date'. It is this you use to land in Canada and declare PR.

Good luck.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 11:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately CIC made a series of errors on a completely unrelated issue (long story) so it took much longer than it should have. But for that I have no reason to think it would have been any longer than the suggested (at that time) time-frame of 6 months.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 1:00 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Does anybody have any knowledge or experience on spouse sponsorship, moreso the level of scrutiny received during the sponsoring process. My Canadian girlfriend and I are planning to have a small wedding in Toronto city hall with two of her friends as witnesses. We've been together for around 1 year 5months. We met in Australia and dated for 3months, went on a month long holiday, spent 5months apart (still spoke everyday and maintained the relationship), she then moved to and worked in the UK for 5months (we spent almost every weekend together) she has gone back home now and the christmas holidays are the only time we get off work/college and therefore is the date for a rushed marriage.

I guess my question is on the definition of a marriage of convenience. Technically we are marrying so I can move to Canada but the reason for that move is to be with the person I love. It is a convenient move in the sense that it will allow us to be together. What will their view be? We have never shared a place of living but lived in shared accommodation together for the first three months and then copious amounts of hotel rooms. She has also stayed at my parents house where I live a heap of times.

I'm rambling a bit but I think I'm being clear enough. I'm a big worrier about all of this and any reassurance would be great. Any advice or warning, even negative, would also be appreciated.
It's totally fine. When CIC refers to "marriage of convenience", they mean specifically that you are getting married for the SOLE PURPOSE of immigrating... you otherwise don't really have a relationship. If you are simply altering a marriage timeline in order to facilitate immigration but you otherwise would have gotten married anyway just at a later date then CIC doesn't really get too uppity about it. They of course will do the normal checks, perhaps with a bit of a closer eye, when you have a rush wedding, but as long as the rest of your evidence is solid you won't have an issue. Make sure you read through the wiki articles on spousal sponsorship and the FAQ and hit as many of the evidence points as you can, and you'll be totally fine.

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
First, how long will it take you to get all the forms done, police certificates, photos, medical etc. and get the completed spousal sponsorship pack to CIC Mississauga. Probably 6 - 8 weeks min if you motor it. It is a lot of work, but excellent guides in the wiki section of this forum so you can certainly do it yourself.
It can be done in as little as about 3 weeks, if the only police certificate that's required is from the UK. I think Aussie certificates are quick as well. The delay tends to be in getting certificates from countries that have really long processing times. OP, you can start getting all the forms and evidence together now - that will save you a load of time. Between now and yoru Christmas wedding you will have plenty of time to complete the application with everything except the marriage certificate; once you're married just add the certificate to the application package and send it off.

In terms of time to get PR, it will depend if Mississauga sends your application to Ottawa (in which case, 3-4 months from application) or to London (10-11 months). There's a spreadsheet linked in my signature, and in Hurlabrick's, that will give you way more detail about timelines.

Oh - an you don't receive PR, you receive a 'Conditional Offer of Permanent Residence' with a 'must use by date'. It is this you use to land in Canada and declare PR.

Good luck.
COPR stands for "Confirmation Of Permanent Residency" - it's the document that confirms that you have passed the eligibility for PR, and are clear to receive your official PR status upon landing.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 4:44 am
Oscar nominated

I couldn't resist...