Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Are electritians needed in Nova Scotia?

Are electritians needed in Nova Scotia?

Old Jun 28th 2007, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

newton817 will become famous soon enough
Default Are electritians needed in Nova Scotia?

My farther in law has just bought some land in nova scotia and is thinking about immigrating there when he retires. he has said when he gets out there he is going to start a business as he is an electrician, as i work with him and i'm going through my qualifications at the moment he wanted to know whether i'd be interested. but are electricians in need out there? whats the pay like? i know i should probably visit first but i thought somebody might be kind enough to give me a bit of an hind sight first. thanks paul.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:28 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are electritians needed in Nova Scotia?

There is no Retirees category anymore in Canadian immigration program. It is highly unlikely that your in-law will qualify for Canadian immigration as skilled worker after retiring as his age will be a disqualifying factor.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

lee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nice

plus you will need 60 months of site exp to challenge a exam !! not including holidays and time off
Old Jun 28th 2007, 4:49 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
There is no Retirees category anymore in Canadian immigration program. It is highly unlikely that your in-law will qualify for Canadian immigration as skilled worker after retiring as his age will be a disqualifying factor.
Exactly - he would definitely need to try and immigrate before retirement age and just having some land here doesn't give you any extra points! Best bet would be for you or he to secure a job offer through the Nova Scotia Nominee Program and then apply without having to meet the usual points score (of which age is one of the factors). If you got permanent residency though this route you could sponsor him to Immigrate though it takes several years.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

I will tell him about this although i still would like to know if there is a need for qualified electricians in nova scotia? if there is, what is the pay like and working conditions? Also is it a better quality of life than England? as i have a wife and two children. wife would be looking at medical sec. How long is the process anyway?. lot of questions i know, sorry. thanks paul
Old Jun 28th 2007, 5:55 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newton817
I will tell him about this although i still would like to know if there is a need for qualified electricians in nova scotia? if there is, what is the pay like and working conditions? Also is it a better quality of life than England? as i have a wife and two children. wife would be looking at medical sec. How long is the process anyway?. lot of questions i know, sorry. thanks paul
Sorry, I can't help with the question about Electricians specifically. There have been a lot of things in the press about Electricians (along with other skilled tradespeople) moving to Alberta so you could assume that has left a shortage here but I really don't know for sure. Can anyone else help here?

Yes, it is a better QUALITY of life for sure. Thats why several hundred thousand people emigrate to Canada every year. Its less crowded, people are friendlier, less social problems, great outdoor lifestyle. Nova Scotia is beautiful especially. I don't know whether you would be better off financially though if thats really what you're asking. Cost of living, taxes and salaries are all differnt so I guess you really need to here from someone else who is an electrician - anyone out there? If you arrived with some funds you would probably gain based on house prices being a lot lower than the UK. Don't assume everything else is half-price though.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou very much nspaul, no i wouldn't move over there for the money, but as we all know it sure helps. i just want to have a comfortable life by working hard and being able to enjoy my children growing up. I would have enough money to probably get by for a year or two with the house price's going through the roof over here.
I hear the winters are quite rough, but the summers are great, is that true? What are the schools like and health system?

I suppose i better do some homework hadn't i, its just nice getting info from people who live out there already. again thankyou very much. paul
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:02 am
Immigration Consultant

...I hear the winters are quite rough, but the summers are great, is that true? What are the schools like and health system?
Depends what temperature you like I guess. I think the winters hear in Nova Scotia are amazing (can't comment on other parts of the country though). It seems to be continual sunshine and blue skies except on the days that it snows. Its cold for sure but its a kind of dry cold that somehow doesn't feel as bad. Sometimes its really cold (i.e. below -15) and you really don't want to spend much time outside but I personally love it when its sub zero - the air is so fresh. You just need to wear appropriate clothes. You dont get the rain and wind like in England. Just sunshine, cold crisp air and snow. Spring sucks (at least here in Nova Scotia). Lots of rain and very variable temperature. Its actually like getting a brief English winter just as the Canadian winter is ending. But then Summer and Fall are great - warmer and sunnier than the UK. If you look at climate stats you'll see that Nova Scotia gets high rainfall in the Summer months but what most people don't realise is that most of this occurs at night when the air cools so its never really a problem.

My experience of schools and healthcare has been great. Don't know about really rural schools but suburban schools near Halifax are extremely well funded and seem to have everything a school could possibly have (a couple we looked at even had their own TV broadcasting facilities so the kids could broadcast in-school TV bulletins - end these were primary schools by the way!) Our kids have been really happy. I have heard it said though that they are less academic than UK schools at least in the first few years of Primary (called Elementary here). There is more focus on "Social development" and it really shows - the kids are a lot more confident, polite and respectful of one another as well as of adults). At least thats my opinion.

Haven't had too much experienc of the healthcare system but one day our 4 year old son fell and cut his head open - we took him to "casulty" at the IWK which is the main childrens hospital in Halifax. He got seen straight away (thats right - no wait even in casulty) and was seen by 2 doctors (a junior doctor who then brought a senior doctor for a second opinion). Within about 45 minutes they had "stitched" him up with some invisible tape and before we left they gave both our kids a popsicle (lolly ice) each from the little freezer that they had in the examination room. Lets just say that its a far cry from the NHS!

In terms of immigration you've probably got 2 options:
- The Nova Scotia Nominee Program (this takes about 6-7 months to get permanent residency but you have to already have a job offer from a Nova Scotia employer before you can apply)
- The Federal Skilled Worker program (you have to meet the minimum points score (you get points for things like age, qualifications) and the whole process takes about 3-4 years owing to the hige waiting list.

I really wish you luck in moving here if thats what you decide to do and sorry I cant be more help with information about work for Electricians. Try having a look on http://www.labourmarketinformation.c...sel_criteria=0 - its a government-run website that shows what the various employment prospects are like for certain occupations in each province. It should also give you a guide to wage levels. You can do a search for Nova Scotia and then your occupation.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

It seems to good to be true, quite the opposite to the dreary existence that we're enduring at the moment.
we are living in a northern town called Blackburn, i was born here the missus wasn't. the thing i'm wanting to get away from and its probably not just in Blackburn is the amount of crime here at the moment, theres very little respect for one another. i just know i could give my children a better up-bringing than if we stayed here.
I'm glad i spoke to you, you have been very kind. I think I will bring my family over next year and have a good look. thanks again for all your help. Paul
Old Jun 29th 2007, 12:17 am
Immigration Consultant

Just a further thought on this... The Nova Scotia Nominee Program (which as I mentioned is by far the quickest route in) has something called the Family Business Worker Stream - its new this year I believe. See http://www.novascotiaimmigration.com/en-page1079.aspx. It sounds as though under this program your father-in-law could emigrate and start a business as an electrician and then bring you over to work in the "family business". But I haven't read through all the fine print! so you should investigate it yourself to see if it would actually be suitable.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Hi mate, I have spoken to father in law about his situation and he said its when the mother in law retires, in England women retire at 60 and men at 65, so he will still be working where the mother in law will be something of a lady of leisure. sorry i thought it was when he retired.
I have decided to have a look at Nova Scotia next year with family, do my homework a little before i make a move. When is the best time to come in your view? remember that i have to make it a holiday for the little ones as well. I have a boy aged 4 and a girl aged 1. Thanks again Paul.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

lawson44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

To qualify under the Nova Scotia nominee programme you would have to have passed the electricians exam (red seal) if you are a construction(residential) electricians this trade is regulated. If you are an industrial electrician you don't need to take the exam but finding a job would be difficult with no Canadian work experience.

There is a need for electricians but not as much as Alberta.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks lawson, Do you know if the regs are different in canada? I'm not industrial so would have to take exam. Do you know of any sites to learn more info? cheers Paul.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

lawson44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks lawson, Do you know if the regs are different in canada? I'm not industrial so would have to take exam. Do you know of any sites to learn more info? cheers Paul.

The regs/code are different in Canada, you can get a regs/code book from www.shopcsa.com or www.psknight.com

If you go to http://www.red-seal.ca/Site/english/...ician_2003.pdf this tells you what you need to be able to do, to qualify as an electrician also you will need 8000 hours work experience to qualify, if you have completed an apprenticeship it counts towards the 8000.

Phil
Old Jun 30th 2007, 6:25 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

paul

We are just aroud the corner from you, we are in the process of doing the move, we are off to ontario, but hubby is known as an industrial electrician.

i can really recommed the psknight website, he has sent us all the books that he will need to sit the exams and advised when we receive just send the cash , they arrived this week and money sent, canadians are so trusting

You will really need these books to sit the exam, my hubby has been doing his job for well over 10 years and the difference is big, the books also include practice exams in the back, well worth the money, we paid $172 thats including quick shipping

As the other posters advise about your father, they do advise before the age of 55 to qualify, there is a guy on here called andrew miller who could help on that side, but they are wanting young immagrants to work, as the shortage is happening as alot of the skilled trade are retiring
hope that help, but do use the search button as a lot of questions have been asked about electricians!!!!!

gill
OO just to add, most industrial electrician employers wont even look at your resume at moment without your licience, but once you have the licience the door opens, good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.