Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Electrician federal skilled worker help.

Electrician federal skilled worker help.

Old Oct 10th 2020, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Benson1999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician federal skilled worker help.

Hi everyone, hopefully an expat electrician could see this but anyone can help if they can.

currently an apprentice electrical and instrument technician and will be looking to move using the federal skilled worker program when I have finished the apprenticeship (approx two years).

using the CRS calculator I think I can get my score to around 480 if I have a job offer in Canada. I was just wondering if it would be realistic to expect a job offer before I’m even accepted into Canada?

I haven’t officially enquired into any jobs yet because it is some time away but do you think any company’s would be willing to offer a job to someone who hasn’t even been given any permanent residency? Or possible there is some sort of program to help foreigners get a job?

any help would be great thanks.
Old Oct 10th 2020, 6:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician federal skilled worker help.

Originally Posted by Benson1999 View Post
Hi everyone, hopefully an expat electrician could see this but anyone can help if they can.

currently an apprentice electrical and instrument technician and will be looking to move using the federal skilled worker program when I have finished the apprenticeship (approx two years).

using the CRS calculator I think I can get my score to around 480 if I have a job offer in Canada. I was just wondering if it would be realistic to expect a job offer before I’m even accepted into Canada?

I haven’t officially enquired into any jobs yet because it is some time away but do you think any company’s would be willing to offer a job to someone who hasn’t even been given any permanent residency? Or possible there is some sort of program to help foreigners get a job?

any help would be great thanks.
Hi, welcome to BE.

Your thread title says Federal Skilked Worker, but then you mention applying as an electrician, so that would be a Federal Skilled Trade application - can you clarify?

If a FST application then you wouldn’t need a job offer purely for points purposes, as the FST program has a much lower points threshold.

Do also check that you’d have enough hours to be able to work as an electrician in Canada. I can’t remember off the top of my head how many hours are required to get provincial certification, but think it’s about 7000? A search of the forum will give you the info you need.

God luck.
Old Oct 10th 2020, 7:22 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Electrician is a Regulated Trade and as such you will need a Certificate of Qualification (usually issued by the Province you will work in, or with Red Seal Endorsement to work Canada wide) - you will need experience of 9,000 hours (documented and signed off by your employer) to challenge the residential electrician qualification (there is also an Industrial Electrician profession and Marine Electrician).. links to the governing bodies below (you will want to look for "Experienced Workers (Trade Equivalency Assessment)" or "Challange"
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ments/20684/ca

Old Oct 11th 2020, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Hi, welcome to BE.

Your thread title says Federal Skilked Worker, but then you mention applying as an electrician, so that would be a Federal Skilled Trade application - can you clarify?
Appreciate the help. I have only just became interested in the move to Canada a few days ago and I hadn’t even seen the federal skilled trade application. I have been looking at the federal skilled worker program this whole time thinking that’s what I was going to be applying to! This will be much a much easier process now haha
Old Oct 11th 2020, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
Electrician is a Regulated Trade and as such you will need a Certificate of Qualification (usually issued by the Province you will work in, or with Red Seal Endorsement to work Canada wide) - you will need experience of 9,000 hours (documented and signed off by your employer) to challenge the residential electrician qualification (there is also an Industrial Electrician profession and Marine Electrician).. links to the governing bodies below (you will want to look for "Experienced Workers (Trade Equivalency Assessment)" or "Challange”
Thanks for the help and link. I work at a decommissioning nuclear power plant so I will be classed under the Industrial profession. I will have to do a bit more research this idea is only new to me. Do you have any idea if my time spent as an apprentice will count towards the 9,000 work experience? Thanks.