electrician

Old May 25th 2011, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

sparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nice
Default electrician

hello,

now my hubby is a sparky has been for 15 years mainly on big projects like shop refits and is currently working on a new football stadium.
as getting in to canada via nursing route is proving tricker than we thought, we thought plan b and use his sparkyness to get in but im confused
can he apply for jobs with his exciting qualification then sit the red seal or does he have to do something else prior to that to get his qualifications ? have tried searching for answers but getting more confused!!!
we are aiming for BC area
any info would be much appreciated

thank you xx
Old May 25th 2011, 9:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: electrician

Why is applying as a nurse proving trickier than you thought? It's the same process and visa application for electricians, so not sure it'll be any easier!

He doesn't need his Red Seal to apply for PR, so don't worry about that.

HTH.
Old May 25th 2011, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

sparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nice

just more complicated getting my nursing qualification switched if that makes sense?
thought may be quicker and easier to go the sparky route but need to know if he can apply for jobs from back in the uk without having to convert his qualification so that one of us will be working when we get there and i can finish off any loose ends nursing wise
xx
Old May 25th 2011, 9:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

But you don't need your nursing qualification recognised to apply for PR either? Same as for an electrician. You'd need them to get a job, but you don't need a job offer for a visa.

Either of you can apply for PR now (assuming you both have enough points etc), and then get your qualifications recognised whilst you wait for it - fingers crossed they don't take both of your occupations off the list next month!

Old May 26th 2011, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Pendonk is an unknown quantity at this point

There is nothing stopping your husband applying for work in Canada from the UK. I applied for a job in Toronto last year and have the 2nd interview here in the UK next week. If successful the employer will sort out all the visas, pay for the relocation of my stuff and my family, give me 2 months rent free accom + 2 months rental car when I get there, take me and the mrs out there for a week to "have a look round". Seems far easier than applying for the visa then looking for the work. Not sure I want the job yet, but hey, free weeks holiday in Tornoto!
Old May 26th 2011, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point

You might be better off applying through the federal skiled worker class route. Because both your occupations are on the list, you will get more points for adapatabillity. The only thing is though you will have to take the IELTS English exam to prove your level of English. Ridiculous I know but everyone has to do it since June last year.

You only have to prove a years of continous work experience for the trade that you are applying for, along with proof of UK qualifications to apply for the federal skilled worker class. And provide evidence of it in the form an employment contract, a letter of reference, or self employed accounts. You don't need to worry about having you UK quals when your applying at this stage. Once you get to Canada, you will have to challenge the IP Red Seal qualification to obtain a permanent licence. They tend to want to see 9000 hours of experience for an electrician, and I have heard that they don't always ask to see your UK qualifications but are more interested in experience. The licence is with you for life, but I have heard that in Ontario, you have to re apply every 3 years to have it renewed, a bit like the niccy, gas safe, and the fridge gas handling here in the UK.

You will be allowed to work for six months in the trade you have chosen with a temporary licence, but during that six months you must challenge and pass the IP Red Seal exam to obtain a permanent one. If you don't pass it, you have to drop down to a final year apprentice until you pass the exam. If you or your hubby can't provide proof of your background since 18 years of age, which is what they ask for on the background check, you will be able to self declare it in the form of an affit davit and have it notarised by a notary public. They're very expensive, it cost me just short of £700.00 to have seven affit davits, 12 lots of City and Guilds/ CITB/UKAS electrical and gas quals, and several other documents notarised, totaling 57 documents in total. I'm just waiting for a positive elegibillity response (PIR) from the CIC now.
Old May 29th 2011, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianDreams is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pendonk
There is nothing stopping your husband applying for work in Canada from the UK. I applied for a job in Toronto last year and have the 2nd interview here in the UK next week. If successful the employer will sort out all the visas, pay for the relocation of my stuff and my family, give me 2 months rent free accom + 2 months rental car when I get there, take me and the mrs out there for a week to "have a look round". Seems far easier than applying for the visa then looking for the work. Not sure I want the job yet, but hey, free weeks holiday in Tornoto!
Pendonk who is this brilliant employer any chance they are based in BC too? We have applied FSW my husband a Sparky, myself a Nurse....now thinking of going over on TWP in meantime!!

Thanks
Old May 31st 2011, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Pendonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CanadianDreams
Pendonk who is this brilliant employer any chance they are based in BC too? We have applied FSW my husband a Sparky, myself a Nurse....now thinking of going over on TWP in meantime!!

Thanks
They're based in Toronto and Montreal. There are numerous companies that will provide a similar package, a couple of years ago I was speaking to someone who had a similar deal from a similar employer.

Has your husband got a linked-in account? I used mine to join various canadian aerospace groups and job groups, identified people with decent job titles (engineering manager, Head of dept, recruitment agent, etc etc), connected with them and sent them my cv and told them I was looking for work. Linked-in is handy for finding out who is currently hiring, it's a good idea to approach the companies directly. Course, this only works for big organisations.

It's a long process but it's it's much cheaper and involves less stress.

Me and the missus are off for our HR interview on Friday.