Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Effect of birth place on processing time

Effect of birth place on processing time

Old Dec 9th 2004, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

majb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Effect of birth place on processing time

I am beginning to wonder whether the place of birth has an effect on the processing time.

I was born in the Middle East but I am a British citizen and have lived in the UK for 21 years. I have British education (A-levels to PhD), have worked for a number of well known multinational comapnies, and am an expert in my field.

I believe our file is complete and the application was put together in a very organised fashion.

In the recent days, I have noticed the London CHC completing the processing of many applications submitted at the same time or even after ours, but we have not passed the AOR stage after a 17-month wait.

If it is true that the security check comes after the medical request, and assuming an application is complete and well-organised, I do not see why an application like ours should remain in the queue for the IA while other applications reach the final stage after 17 months. The only thing that comes to mind is that the CHC treats applications differently based on parameters such as the place of birth and not the nationality alone.

Does anyone else out there feel the same?

majb
Old Dec 9th 2004, 9:53 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Effect of birth place on processing time

Nationality or country of birth have absolutely no impact on processing time from submission to IA - the differences in processing times (sometimes more than a year difference) you see are direct result of quality of application package and conclusivness of all supporting evidence, how well all possible (case specific, not found in any instructions with application kits or on CIC website) questions and doubts processing officer may have are addressed upfront and how conclusively your answers are documented.

Originally Posted by majb
I am beginning to wonder whether the place of birth has an effect on the processing time.

I was born in the Middle East but I am a British citizen and have lived in the UK for 21 years. I have British education (A-levels to PhD), have worked for a number of well known multinational comapnies, and am an expert in my field.

I believe our file is complete and the application was put together in a very organised fashion.

In the recent days, I have noticed the London CHC completing the processing of many applications submitted at the same time or even after ours, but we have not passed the AOR stage after a 17-month wait.

If it is true that the security check comes after the medical request, and assuming an application is complete and well-organised, I do not see why an application like ours should remain in the queue for the IA while other applications reach the final stage after 17 months. The only thing that comes to mind is that the CHC treats applications differently based on parameters such as the place of birth and not the nationality alone.

Does anyone else out there feel the same?

majb
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

majb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Nationality or country of birth have absolutely no impact on processing time from submission to IA - the differences in processing times (sometimes more than a year difference) you see are direct result of quality of application package and conclusivness of all supporting evidence, how well all possible (case specific, not found in any instructions with application kits or on CIC website) questions and doubts processing officer may have are addressed upfront and how conclusively your answers are documented.

Thanks Andrew.

Assuming something is missing in our application, or something is not well presented, should they not let us know about it?

After all, based on the London CHC's recorded message, one should expect to hear from them within 18 months after the AOR.

majb
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:56 am

If application package meets minimum requirements (forms, required basic documents, photos and fees) then it will be accepted for processing and nobody will tell you what else is needed until case goes into IA stage and officer gives up trying to assess it without additional evidence - verification of not fully conclusivelly documented claims takes time, officers usually prefer to deal first with cases that are conclusive and are procrastinating (like all of us) with more difficult cases. Then, if something is needed anyway it takes about 1 to 3 months from officer's determination that something additional is needed to the time request letter is printed and mailed to you. All of that adds up.

Originally Posted by majb
Thanks Andrew.

Assuming something is missing in our application, or something is not well presented, should they not let us know about it?

After all, based on the London CHC's recorded message, one should expect to hear from them within 18 months after the AOR.

majb
Old Dec 9th 2004, 11:04 am
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough

If application package meets minimum requirements (forms, required basic documents, photos and fees) then it will be accepted for processing and nobody will tell you what else is needed until case goes into IA stage and officer gives up trying to assess it without additional evidence - verification of not fully conclusivelly documented claims takes time, officers usually prefer to deal first with cases that are conclusive and are procrastinating (like all of us) with more difficult cases. Then, if something is needed anyway it takes about 1 to 3 months from officer's determination that something additional is needed to the time request letter is printed and mailed to you. All of that adds up.
Hey Andrew, I'm trying to keep a serious face while asking this, but why does it take 1 to 3 months to send the letter? This is actually kind of funny!
Old Dec 9th 2004, 2:01 pm

Never heard about backlog in mail room? This is what is takes in average in fast visa posts to get letter out, in slower offices with larger backlogs it takes even longer.

Originally Posted by MJ23
Hey Andrew, I'm trying to keep a serious face while asking this, but why does it take 1 to 3 months to send the letter? This is actually kind of funny!
Old Dec 9th 2004, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

ChicagoJer is an unknown quantity at this point

Never heard about backlog in mail room? This is what is takes in average in fast visa posts to get letter out, in slower offices with larger backlogs it takes even longer.
I know this has been stated many times, but I think that using an immigration consultant can help an applicant submit a well-documented case and therefore minimize the chance that he/she will be asked for additional information or called in for an interview.

Good luck on your application, majb !

Jerry
Old Dec 9th 2004, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

newbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nice

If it really takes for 1-3 months for mailing

1> How passports are returned in 15 business days

2> Recently I requested for status update and sent additional docs
they replied with passport request in mail in excactly
7 business days after they received it.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 5:17 pm

You got simply lucky and your case was already completed - officer didn't need to do anything else as pasport request was already waiting to be printed as requested documents arrive. Also response time depends from visa post, officer, backlog and dozen other factors.

As you can read in reports from other applicants in this forum cases submitted at the same time end up completed months or years apart. If it would be as simple as you think we wouldn't have such differences. Please don't be offended but you only know your case and maybe some small details about few other who post reports here - I'm in this business for almost 15 years now, I've seen thousands of cases but I don't claim that I know all as we always learn continuously from experience in ever changing field and I am still surprized from time to time.

Originally Posted by newbee
If it really takes for 1-3 months for mailing

1> How passports are returned in 15 business days

2> Recently I requested for status update and sent additional docs
they replied with passport request in mail in excactly
7 business days after they received it.