Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

EE recording of professional qualifications - ICAEW

EE recording of professional qualifications - ICAEW

Old Mar 3rd 2019, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

James_bk_fun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EE recording of professional qualifications - ICAEW - HELP

Hi everyone

I’m new to posting on here but have read a fair bit, therefore firstly thanks everyone for creating the wealth of useful information on here. Hugely valuable!

I’m looking into moving to Canada through express entry and a couple of things have me stumped. It’s specific to my education and I’d really appreciate your input.

I’m reliant on my qualifications to to achieve enough points but I can’t work out how to correctly record them. I have a bachelors degree and an ICAEW chartered accountancy (professional) qualification. The latter is generally recognised (in the UK, EU etc) as the same level as a Masters degree.

I thought therefore that I should be recording this within the CRS as either ‘two or more certificates’ or ‘Master’s degree’. These would give me either 450 or 458 points total as they combine with my English language ability to give me 50 points in section B (Skills transferability factors). Happy days I thought, should be enough.

Not so simple.....

My issue is none of the education validation companies seems to be able to, willing to, validate my ICAEW chartered qualification. They specifically say they don’t validate professional qualifications. I’m not sure where it leaves me as just including my degree in isolation leaves me at 425 points.

Has anyone encountered this before?

I ‘think’, although not at all sure, a solution is for my convert my ICAEW membership across to a Canada CPA accountancy qualification that would be give a ‘Canadian certificate of qualification’ and 50 more points that way. I know the ICAEW and Canada CPA have a reciprocal arrangement to do this. I’d need to apply to a provisional accountancy body, register with them and maybe sit a few exams. It would be a very expensive (££££) way of doing things though and despite all my research, I’m not certain it would count anyway. Needless to say, my mind is blown.....

Thanks for any advice you have! I certainty have more sympathy for those of you who’ve been through this previously and friends who’ve come through UK immigration rules too

Last edited by James_bk_fun; Mar 3rd 2019 at 2:51 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 3:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EE recording of professional qualifications - ICAEW

Hi, welcome to BE.

Sorry to say but your qualification won't help with EE, as professional or vocational purposes don't count for points purposes. Only academic ones do. You may as well ask to have the ICAEW qualification assessed as well just in case, but be prepared for your ECA report to only count your degree.

The 'Canadian certificate of qualification' is only for those applying under the FST program, so for occupations like plumbers, electricians, etc and not applicable to you.

Hopefully you score enough with just your degree.

Best of luck.
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. This sounds like a disaster then.

I’m surprised that a chartered qualification wouldn’t count for anything given the level it’s considered elsewhere as an academic qualification. I guess if those are the rules though, it is what it is.

On points, I’m currently looking at 425:
Age - 32 = 94 points
Education - bachelors degree = 120 points
Languages - English = 136 points
Canadian work experience - zero
Spouse factors - zero
Language + education = 25 points
Language + work experience = 50 points

That’s some way short then and I don’t see a way around getting more points unless I try and get a job offer before I move which seems extremely difficult
Old May 16th 2019, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: UPDATED - EE recording of professional qualifications - ICAEW

Hi all,

Though I’d add an update for anyone else going through the credential validation with a Chartered Accountancy qualification like the ACA.

I had mine validated by WES who classified it as equal to a 3 year bachelors degree. It’s odd in some ways given it’s generally regarded as a Masters level qualification in the UK (therefore earning higher points) but together with my 3 year bachelors degree (verified as equal to a 4 year degree by Canadian standards) it gives me 128 points.

Therefore, to confirm, professional accountancy qualification are recognised by WES for Canadian immigration purposes.

Thanks,

James
Old May 16th 2019, 1:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, thanks for coming back to let us know, that's very unusual.
Originally Posted by James_bk_fun
Therefore, to confirm, professional accountancy qualification are recognised by WES for Canadian immigration purposes.
Others have had things like CIMA or ACCA rejected, so just for the sake of anybody reading, not all professional accountancy qualifications will necessarily be recognised.

Good luck with the app.
Old May 16th 2019, 1:31 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Though I’d add an update for anyone else going through the credential validation with a Chartered Accountancy qualification like the ACA.

I had mine validated by WES who classified it as equal to a 3 year bachelors degree. It’s odd in some ways given it’s generally regarded as a Masters level qualification in the UK (therefore earning higher points) but together with my 3 year bachelors degree (verified as equal to a 4 year degree by Canadian standards) it gives me 128 points.

Thanks,

James
Just double checking, did you have your qualification assessed for Immigration purposes - i.e. did you get an ECA assessment - and not Canadian equivalency (validation) for employment/entering Uni etc., WES do both.. ?

https://www.wes.org/ca/eca/
Old May 16th 2019, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Sure, to clarify I had an ECA for immigration purposes.

If anyone ever finds their verification gets rejected, I can send over a redacted copy of mine so you can go back to WES and query it.

From my awareness of the ACA, the exams, content and standards are very similar year on year so if it’s approved for one it should be okay for others. I did speak to WES before I submitted it and the person on the phone was immediately familiar with the ICAEW as they were when I called them about WES. Sounded like a well trodden path for both organisations
Old Apr 7th 2020, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

annastone79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Thanks,

James
Hey James,
I am currently trying to get my ICAEW ACA verified by WES, given the current situation, ICAEW are not sending paper copies of documents.
How did you get WES to verify your ACA?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Anna