Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

EE & Open Work Permit together? Job Application

EE & Open Work Permit together? Job Application

Old Jan 18th 2019, 10:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EE & Open Work Permit together? Job Application

Originally Posted by FromUKtoBC
Ok i wondered if i needed LMIA to be self employed as well? Does that include having an online business, where potentially customers are international rather than just Canadians?
It is something that i could do in my own spare time without affecting the job; would give me an extra element of flexibility if necessary and (eventually) extra income
If an LMIA is required for that separately, not sure it would apply if my income goes to UK, i.e. the funds are not going into the Canadian market place. I think this is the distinction from what i remember from speaking to someone in the Canadian High Commission some years ago

Just thinking of different scenarios to make my presence in Canada legit and workable..

Would stick with the employer throughout that time - wouldn't be a problem for me giving back..
there are things that i could do as self employed without having to leave my employment.

Thanks for link for Start Up Visa.
Will look at it again to see if it would be feasible & criteria
You cannot work as self-employed for your own business whilst on a TWP. No matter where your clients are. You could work for a UK based business i.e. if you were working for somebody and carried on working remotely. But you can't start up your new business and work for yourself in Canada without a visa allowing you to do so i.e. Start Up Visa.

Oh, would I still need to have support from aunt with Canadian work experience?
Not a clue, you'll need to check your own scores and see what you'd get with Canadian work experience, using the two points tests above.

And my aunt would give me extra 5 points in addition to CRS 448 score for selection to exit pool?
No, once again, your aunt gets you no extra CRS points. She simply isn't relevant. She can get you the extra 5 points under the FSW points score, but nothing at all on the CRS.

And if i am eligible to apply for start up Visa, i could get in the pool straightaway with 'Letter of Support'?
You're confusing two different visa route - Start Up Visa doesn't come under Express Entry, so there's no 'pool'. It's a different way to get PR.

It's all getting a bit confusing, you mention a score of 448 now but where has that come from? Can you give us your exact FSW and CRS points as per the above tests, and break them down for us? If your score is really low, then a TWP and Canadian work experience may make no difference anyway, so no point in pursuing that route, but to help you work it all out and sort out which visa route is the best (or possibly, the only) option, we need more info from you.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 18th 2019 at 10:22 am.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You cannot work as self-employed for your own business whilst on a TWP. No matter where your clients are. You could work for a UK based business i.e. if you were working for somebody and carried on working remotely. But you can't start up your new business and work for yourself in Canada without a visa allowing you to do so i.e. Start Up Visa.
WOW!!

Are you talking about the company Intra-transfer?
What if i start the online business in UK before getting a TWP? would that allow me to carry on working on it 'remotely' in Canada? And if so, would i then have to get a TWP for that instead of a job?
probably going to answer my own question....CIC wouldnt give me TWP for that, would they?

Will look at the Start UP visa more closely tomorrow
Old Jan 19th 2019, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute

It's all getting a bit confusing, you mention a score of 448 now but where has that come from? Can you give us your exact FSW and CRS points as per the above tests, and break them down for us? If your score is really low, then a TWP and Canadian work experience may make no difference anyway, so no point in pursuing that route, but to help you work it all out and sort out which visa route is the best (or possibly, the only) option, we need more info from you.
Thanks for your patience Christmasoompa

I'm getting confused as well!
getting confused with other options now that it is time to take action!

score 448 is CRS points with 1 year Canadian work experience, using the CRS link above

will do it again tomorrow and show info/links
Old Jan 19th 2019, 11:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

WOW!!

What if i start the online business in UK before getting a TWP? would that allow me to carry on working on it 'remotely' in Canada? And if so, would i then have to get a TWP for that instead of a job?
probably going to answer my own question....CIC wouldnt give me TWP for that, would they?

A closed TWP allows you to work for one specific employer - and that's the only employment you can undertake in Canada .. you couldn't work as self employed as well unless you had a Start Up visa, until you gained PR. With a SU Visa you are basically your own employer. Do read up on it and the parts about getting a TWP. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...k-permits.html

score 448 is CRS points with 1 year Canadian work experience, using the CRS link above

Give us a breakdown of those points - i.e. what are you putting down and what points are you getting for each section... for example, what are you putting down for education - what points do you get? Forget the 1 year of Canadian Work Experience for now, you need to ascertain your base points level - then we can 'adjust' to see which different scenarios might work for you, points wise.

A question for you - is it your intention to persue the career / business that you were doing research for in 2016? (I've just seen that the Start Up Visa was suggested to you then..

Anyone here work in Schools in BC Canada?

Have you done any research on what Provincial Certification / Registration you would require in order to undertake providing counselling / wellness services etc., in BC? Canada is all about the pieces of paper. I'm not sure what your designation is professionally, but this may be of help in the meantime.
https://www.factbc.org/member-associations/
https://www.ccpa-accp.ca/membership/

Wellness is schools, BC:
https://healthyschoolsbc.ca/healthy-...als-resources/
Joint Consortium for School Health - Home

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 20th 2019 at 12:03 am.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 8:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

WOW!!

Essentially, you need to decide what you want - a job offer from a sponsoring employer, or to start your own business. You can't do both until you have PR.

Please do, as that would just about be enough to apply for PR, but I just want to check you're calculating it all correctly.

I think you just need to decide on a route and get things underway. You've been asking about lots of different routes for years now, you could be there by now! The longer you leave it, the harder it will get due to your age etc, so you need to work out what you're eligible for (if anything) and just go for it.

One other thing is that I don't think you've said what you do for a job? Is it in demand in Canada i.e. likely to lead to finding a sponsoring employer, and a LMIA being granted?
Old Jan 21st 2019, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

OK
-------------------------------------------------------------------------DRAWING A LINE AND STARTING FROM SCRATCH-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

BACKGROUND:
Back in 2016 i first enquired about working with young people in Canadian schools as i had done in UK with my motivational programmes/workshops. I was commissioned by schools/colleges/universities until the serious hammering of school/education funding brought that to a steady decline 2016. I also provided professional development programmes for teaching/pastoral staff working with young people to support the young people's emotional well-being needs. Some schools and prison services (young offenders) commissioned the programmes, but the majority were delivered as open courses/workshops across the UK, attended by voluntary organisation staff also.
Budget squeeze, even for prison services, meant that public organisations struggled to attend open courses also. Local authorities then started to offer short free emotional well-being courses that schools/public sector could tap into

I designed and developed my own courses/workshops for young people as above

I was simultaneously commissioned to work with parents by Children's Centres, until that sector pretty much became decimated by drastic funding cuts, where many Centres closed down, staff lost jobs etc.

I created and designed my own parents programme

On the back of some Forum feedback and liaising with the lead person for Training & Developing in Canadian High Commission based in BC, i did some further research about some of the requirements for working with schools in a similar way as i had done in UK
Essentially, it meant that i had to become a member of counseling associations, which i didn't mind doing, except the associations requirements were that i had to have anything from 3 - 6 full length DEGREE qualifications, depending on the association. One association wanted a degree in ETHICS also. Really???

I am currently working as a Supply Teacher (Cover Teacher), since 2016, to gain more direct experience of working with young people, initially with the intention of taking that experience to work with Canadian schools and whilst also re-inventing myself within the business world.
Few months ago i approached several school Superintendents about Supply teaching possibilities and steps i needed to take. They referred me to https://www.bcteacherregulation.ca/Teacher/IntAppProcess.aspx
Bottom line is that i would need to do a Certificate of Teaching program of at least 1 year before even working as a Supply teacher, except in more rural areas (which i don't want to go to as a newbie in town!). In addition, they wanted EVERY SINGLE ONE of my qualifications officially verified starting with ALL of my 'O' levels and all post secondary quals., and a host of other requirements including their own police checks despite my current valid ECA & police check. Really??
I would need a Study Work permit for this.
That's not an option for me and the role only offers temporary placements!

As part of my research, I also liaised with BC marital guidance body BCAMFT - about working with parents. Bottom line is that i have to study in Canada and do hundreds of hours of practical experience as a student before being qualified as a Family therapist. Think it is 2- 3 years study (cant remember now).
Again requiring a Study Work permit.
I already have a Foundation Certification in Family Therapy in UK

At that point, Start UP visa became irrelevant.

through research found out that i can call myself a Coach or Counsellor as these titles are not regulated. can use psychology as long as i don't call myself a psychologist

My background:
my background is in human resources - both personnel & training; previously a chartered member of the chartered institute of personnel & development. 2 year diploma
Also separate training & dev qualifications.
HNC in public admin
Worked for Bham council for 17 years in HR
Deputy manager for vol org for 3 years
NLP practitioner (neuro-linguistic programming)
qualified life coach
foundation family therapy
psychology degree (got Canadian ECA)
Adult Ed tutor
domestic violence training by womens aid
trained parent mentor - gingerbread
qualified NVQ Assessor (bham chamber of commerce)
worked with young people with challenging behaviour briefly part time, between 2016 - 2017 - childrens residential.
numerous CPD courses, especially safeguarding
I hadn't really thought much about my 1 year BA Hons Health Studies Level 2 (manual handling) qualification from Luton Uni until now writing this as its not really something that i am interested in (did a short stint of manual handling training in Social Services dept, Bham council). Got a certificate. Would it make any difference for my points for EE?? Not sure it would??
was school governor
was ActionForChildren Independent visitor (took young people in foster care out for different activities that they wouldn't otherwise get opportunity to experience)
FSA approved member of Board of Credit unions

Over 12 years self employment parent coach; training consultant - designing and delivering parents programmes; workshops for young people; courses/ prof dev. for pastoral staff (up to 2016);the past year, re-trained as online marketer; looking to launch website in next couple months

IELTS overall score 8 (CLB 9/10); police check; ECA for psychology degree

In 2017 i went on a RECCE - visited Settlement centres and spoke to business development advisors; was told that parents progs are needed in Canada!
I intended to start my immig application within months of returning to UK. And would have been willing to turn up at the border with my papers for self employment business on TWP.
I spoke to a Canadian immig lawyer whilst i was there - he suggested to go down the EE permanent route

2018 was a disaster year, family wise! Which also included my sons not being as supportive of me leaving as I would have hoped! They decided years ago not to join me

2019 - i am ready to DO WHATEVER IT TAKES to make my transition to Canada happen!!! Even if for now, that means working as an employee.

i have just looked at Start Up Visa: - the business Incubators mainly offer assistance for techie businesses offering products e.g Artificial Intelligence, Virtual Reality, Artificial Reality, Mixed Reality, Blockchain, Financial Services, Data Science, Quantum Computing, Health Tech, Sales as a Service, or Cybersecurity (Business Incubator for Vancouver)
Most of the Start UP incubators are based in other provinces outside of BC
venture capitalists/Angels are unlikely to sponsor me for what i want to do as they are looking for large scale & fast growth companies

So here's where i am at:

As i said, i am willing to do whatever it takes to emigrate to Canada now!
ready to fly out next month if necessary

if there is a prog that supports me going as a Self Emp, this is what i want to do:

my niche market is single parent moms and everything below would be related to them

- start off the business leading with an online affiliate marketing prog - products aimed at meeting their needs and at affordable prices
- with the databases from the above, offer my own ebooks/kindle; Ecourses (ecommerce)
- launch my book aimed at single parents (currently in draft waiting for right time to complete/launch) (already published author)
- offer webinars
- reiki healing (had approached Canadian Reiki Assoc (CRA) and completed 24 case studies using their docs, but they said to wait until i get to Canadian to become CRA certified!
- parents prog (face to face)
- offer group coaching (tele-conference/face to face)
- 1:1 coaching
- speaking
- etc
have other sources of passive income, especially in light of the economic crises that we've recently had

my recent experiences of supply teacher & childrens residential have equipped me even more for working with parents with challenges with their teens

few years later, have my own family foundation (social enterprise in addition to...)

IF NOT SELF EMP:

seen a range of human resources coordinator/dev coord/project coord jobs that includes both HR & training
good salaries (what is considered to be a decent annual salary, by the way, with living costs in BC?)
have applied for some to gain Canadian work experience as 2 points short for EE.

would be prepared to do course/certification in Canada if required (and more than likely to anyway as HR/HRD person), but not via study permit as would not be able to work. but.... open to suggestions...

and then self emp when i have PR

SORRY THIS IS VERY LONG!
But it made sense to start from the beginning again

It's very late now so i will do test scores tomorrow
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 11:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

It's very late now so i will do test scores tomorrow
That's the first thing we need to help you, so do that (using only the official links given above) and then let us know the breakdowns.

So essentially from the above -

Start Up Visa you've discounted.
Self employed TWP doesn't sound like an option (you'd need to invest quite a bit in premises etc, and hire Canadians, doesn't sound like it would be applicable to your business?)
Self-employed PR route that you were previously considering, can't see which of your occupations would qualify for that? Which NOC code would you be using for that route?
EE possibly not enough points (depending on when you've done the proper tests)
TWP employed possibly an option if you can find a sponsoring employer/LMIA but I'm not sure any of your skills would be in demand enough for that to be brutally honest.....but all you can do is try if that is the only option left.

Only one other route that springs to mind, but I think it's been suggested to you before so presumably isn't an option? The BC PNP Entrepreneur route? https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...ur-Immigration

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 22nd 2019 at 11:59 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

That's the first thing we need to help you, so do that (using only the official links given above) and then let us know the breakdowns.

So essentially from the above -

Start Up Visa you've discounted. - N/A
Self employed TWP doesn't sound like an option (you'd need to invest quite a bit in premises etc, and hire Canadians, doesn't sound like it would be applicable to your business?) NO. Could hire a part-time admin person or Canadian Virtual Assistant (VA) (part-time). Don't know if VA would count as wouldnt need premises then.

Self-employed PR route that you were previously considering, can't see which of your occupations would qualify for that? Which NOC code would you be using for that route?
4021 College and other vocational instructors i delivered training courses as employee and self employed

With being a COACH, there didnt seem to be a NOC that represented Life Coach Quick Search - Results

For employee/Job:
loads of HR/training jobs being advertised. I have seen one with a closing date of May 2019 (??)
NOC:1121 Human resources professionals

1223 Human resources and recruitment officers

But here's an example of a job that i could do - Sales or Marketing with HR or training. My role in HR included recruitment
self employed role included sales & marketing; networking; relationship building etc - seen some jobs requiring those skills also

Job Posting

Sales & Recruitment Professionals #11336

Job Type: Full Time, PermanentStart Date: As soon as possible
Language: EnglishMinimum Education: Bachelor's DegreePositions Available: 1
NOC Group: Personnel and Recruitment Officers (1223)NOC Job Title: Recruiter - Employment
Expires in 79 daysExpires: 2019-04-10Posted: 2018-12-17Last Updated: 2018-12-17
10041 viewsJob Number: 533415

Old Jan 22nd 2019, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Only one other route that springs to mind, but I think it's been suggested to you before so presumably isn't an option? The BC PNP Entrepreneur route? https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...ur-Immigration
will look at this again
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...l#adaptabilitySix selection factors – Federal Skilled Worker Program (Express Entry) First official language=centerSpeaking
=centerListening
=centerReading=centerWriting
CLB 10/10/9/9 = (38) 24 maximum points
Second language = 0

EDUCATION: 21 points (maximum 25 points)https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ad-report.htmlComparison tableThis table contains a full list of possible results for an educational credential assessment report. It shows how many points you can earn under the: Use this table to find the result on your report and see what it’s equal to.
  1. Select the points system you would like to see.
  2. Enter your result in the “Filter items” field. As you type in the words, the table will adjust to display possible matches.
  3. Choose the assessment result that matches your report.
  4. The level of education for your Express Entry profile and points will show beside the result.
Select a points system CRS Score for Education (without spouse)Bachelor's degree (four years)
Bachelor’s degree or other programs (three or more years) at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute112
FSW Score for EducationBachelor's degree (four years)
Bachelor’s degree or other programs (three or more years) at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute21
Work experience (maximum 15 points)You can get points for the number of years you’ve spent doing full-time paid work (at least 30 hours per week, or an equal amount of part-time [15 hours per week for 24 months]) at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2016 National Occupational Classification. To get selection factor points, your work experience will count if it was:
  • in Canada or abroad
  • while you were studying
  • while being self-employed
6 or more years

Age (maximum 12 points)

47 and older

Arranged employment in Canada (maximum 10 points) 0

Adaptability (maximum 10 points) 5

Relatives in CanadaYou, or your spouse or common-law partner, have a relative who is:
  • living in Canada
  • 18 years or older and
  • a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
This relative must be a:
  • your or your spouse’s aunt or uncle (by blood or marriage)
TOTAL = 65
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 4:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

4021 College and other vocational instructors i delivered training courses as employee and self employed
That's not an eligible occupation for the Self Employed PR program anyway. So scrap that option off your list.

TOTAL = 65
OK, so EE isn't an option at the moment either, as unfortunately you're not scoring enough to be eligible to enter the pool.

Put simply, from all of the options you've considered over the past few years, if you don't think the Start Up Visa is a possibility, then you only have two choices from what I can see - the BC PNP as mentioned above, or a job offer and LMIA/TWP. You need to work out if the PNP is a possibility, if not, then there is your answer - get out there and get job hunting!

Good luck.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 4:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Not sure what happened with that post above and the walls and walls of coding text, but don't worry about your CRS score now, as you're not eligible for EE anyway so it's not relevant.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

I was just wondering myself what happened with all those codes with the CRS scores!!?

It's the conclusion I had got to about job hunting...

but will check BC PNP again :-)
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 4:49 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Getting qualifications assessed and proving experience is standard for any job that requires Certification in Canada - and even for Express Entry. Many professions you cannot work in until such time as you have Provincial Registration / Certification.. including most of those that you have mentioned you have done, such as teaching, lecturing, counseling etc.

I would suggest that you look at the requirements for each job that you have looked at as potential employment - even jobs in HR often require diploma's or certificates. Canada is ALL about supporting documentation, so be aware and perhaps check if your qualifications in areas other than health would be recognised here.

There is a code for Life Coach ... you needed to go to 'all titles' http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/english/noc/Vi...er=16&val100=1
  • life skills coach
  • life skills instructor

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 22nd 2019 at 4:55 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.