Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

EE ITA: Is my spouse 'accompanying' me if they are Canadian?

EE ITA: Is my spouse 'accompanying' me if they are Canadian?

Old Dec 28th 2016, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

yeastery is on a distinguished road
Default EE ITA: Is my spouse 'accompanying' me if they are Canadian?

Hi there,

Just trying to figure this one out. In the questionnaire it asks if I have a spousal partner. I do, and she is a Canadian citizen who lives with me in Canada.

When I say yes, it asks if that spouse will be 'accompanying' me. I take 'accompanying' to mean that they are also applying to move to Canada with me so I pick 'not accompanying'.

I hoped that this would reduce the amount of paperwork but it still prompts me to give my partner's entire address history, life history, minutia etc. I spoke to a reluctant person on the CIC helpline who said to not fill out those sections and attach a letter of explanation, but she also said that she wasn't supposed to tell me anything so who knows.

So should I say my partner is accompanying or not accompanying? Both seem untrue in different ways. It's like the forms can't take into account someone applying through EE who already has a Canadian spouse. Am I safe to leave those sections blank and include a letter as suggested?

Thank you!
Old Dec 28th 2016, 10:56 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EE ITA: Is my spouse 'accompanying' me if they are Canadian?

If you have a Canadian spouse, why are you applying under EE? It's far easier to apply for spousal sponsorship!

Old Dec 28th 2016, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If you have a Canadian spouse, why are you applying under EE? It's far easier to apply for spousal sponsorship!

I am! I'm just a little anxious to get the visa asap because i keep expecting it to not work out with spousal (just generally anxious about immigration applications). I have all the info and documents I need to apply for EE so I've already paid most of the money. I know EE is faster than Spousal too which is important in my situation.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 2:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yeastery
I am! I'm just a little anxious to get the visa asap because i keep expecting it to not work out with spousal (just generally anxious about immigration applications). I have all the info and documents I need to apply for EE so I've already paid most of the money. I know EE is faster than Spousal too which is important in my situation.
EE may be faster in processing in theory, but with an "Inland" spousal application you can apply for a work permit with the submission of your sponsorship - and that would be far quicker than waiting for EE processing.

Just a thought.

Old Dec 28th 2016, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yeastery
Unless you are a terrorist, master criminal or have committed crimes against humanity or entered into a marriage of convenience then the chances of getting refused spousal sponsorship is minimal unless you or the sponsor are not eligible.
If wanting to work straight away within reason then the Inland application is the way to go.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Hey, thanks for the advice. It sounds like I am being overcautious... I am currently on implied status waiting for the response on my inland work permit that would carry me over until I received PR through spousal. I wanted to apply to make absolutely sure I'd get it because, truth be told, I am a little scatterbrained and am used to having difficulty with immigration things backfiring. One time I had my passport replaced because they got my birthdate wrong, and it took me about 2 months after I received the replacement to realize they had gotten it wrong twice.... basically always waiting for the shoe to drop with this stuff.

My plan was just to apply for both streams in case of some incident to maximize chances of having a rejection somewhere along the line. Another aspect is that I've already paid for everything for EE (language test, medical, ECA, etc) so I kind of feel like all I have to do now is just fill out the forms...