Wikiposts

Educational Credential Assessment

Old Jun 1st 2013, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

chrisbed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Educational Credential Assessment

Hi All,

I'm a little confused! Just getting all my documents together to begin the Assessment, if I have completed A-Levels (Year 13). Does this count as Post Secondary education as such I do not need to submit my GCSE results for Assessment?!

Sorry if its a stupid question but I don't want my application delayed and I'm confusing myself!!

Thanks
Old Jun 1st 2013, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Educational Credential Assessment

Originally Posted by chrisbed
Hi All,

I'm a little confused! Just getting all my documents together to begin the Assessment, if I have completed A-Levels (Year 13). Does this count as Post Secondary education as such I do not need to submit my GCSE results for Assessment?!

Sorry if its a stupid question but I don't want my application delayed and I'm confusing myself!!

Thanks
Sorry guys can someone move my post to the Immigration folder?!! I'm not with it this morning!
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:38 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

A-levels are secondary qualifications, not post-secondary qualifications. Don't know what that means for your GCSEs but they're not post-secondary.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
A-levels are secondary qualifications, not post-secondary qualifications. Don't know what that means for your GCSEs but they're not post-secondary.
Hmm not sure that's right. At the time secondary education terminated at 16 and A levels were optional. That's my understanding anyways?
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 2:38 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

My reading of "post secondary" was basically another word for "higher education".

i.e diplomas or degrees etc.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 7:22 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisbed
Hmm not sure that's right. At the time secondary education terminated at 16 and A levels were optional. That's my understanding anyways?
They might have been optional, but they were still Secondary.

Secondary Education did not terminate at 16. You were just allowed to leave if you wanted to.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 9:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, what they said. ^^^^

Even if done at college, CIC deem A levels to just be part of completing secondary education. So you only need diploma/degree certs etc.

HTH.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future

This may be a bit of a bump, but it seemed the first thread relevant to what I needed.

I completed secondary school education, did 2 GCSEs and the first year of an A level at college.

That I presume all counts as secondary and not post-secondary from what's been said here.

However, I also did the first two years of a BTeC National Certificate course. It was three years but the temptation of work was too much.

Does that partially completed course count and if it does would it be the only thing that would need to be assessed or is it only completed courses that count?

The college suggesting contacting Edexcel but if it was not completed...?

If it doesn't count then does all secondary school / equivalent have to be assessed?
Old Jun 28th 2013, 5:43 am
Just Joined

Flaykee is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, post secondary (higher education) refers to diploma and degree programs at community college, private colleges or universities. Sometimes there are post secondary certificate programs (usually 1 year programs, such as access or prep programs). Back in the day, our high schools went to grade 13 which was advanced courses more for students entering university.

A-levels: Think as I read, this is equivalent to our grade 12 or the grade 13.

Found this on BE site:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/GCSE_and_A-level_Students
Old Jun 28th 2013, 5:54 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Siphorous
This may be a bit of a bump, but it seemed the first thread relevant to what I needed.

I completed secondary school education, did 2 GCSEs and the first year of an A level at college.

That I presume all counts as secondary and not post-secondary from what's been said here.

However, I also did the first two years of a BTeC National Certificate course. It was three years but the temptation of work was too much.

Does that partially completed course count and if it does would it be the only thing that would need to be assessed or is it only completed courses that count?

The college suggesting contacting Edexcel but if it was not completed...?

If it doesn't count then does all secondary school / equivalent have to be assessed?
No, your incomplete program doesn't count.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future

Thanks both.

PMM- that's the impression I got from the CIC website but one of the assessment organisations confused me with some seemingly ambiguous wording.

Upon reading their FAQ pages, it's quite clear that it is as the CIC website and you say.

Unfortunate this is for me, any chances I had for meeting the points requirement depended on the education side of things. Experience I have plenty of. 15 straight years in one company meets the 1 year in the last 10 but it's all for nothing because of education it seems.

More painful as it's the first time the occupation has appeared on the list since prior to 2008
Old Jun 28th 2013, 7:51 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both.

PMM- that's the impression I got from the CIC website but one of the assessment organisations confused me with some seemingly ambiguous wording.

Upon reading their FAQ pages, it's quite clear that it is as the CIC website and you say.

Unfortunate this is for me, any chances I had for meeting the points requirement depended on the education side of things. Experience I have plenty of. 15 straight years in one company meets the 1 year in the last 10 but it's all for nothing because of education it seems.

More painful as it's the first time the occupation has appeared on the list since prior to 2008
That's a shame.
If you have a lot of experience, then why not get out here and use that experience to find a job?
PNP or Arranged employment route could be open to you, couldn't they?
Old Jun 28th 2013, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by helcat12
That's a shame.
If you have a lot of experience, then why not get out here and use that experience to find a job?
PNP or Arranged employment route could be open to you, couldn't they?
I've been out to Canada for a long time and networked, applied for jobs but only 2 companies got back to me. 1 of which didn't want to go through the LMO process again (they'd already done that for another Brit). The HR person I spoke to said to look them up should I ever gain legal working status so they must have liked my resume I guess.

Being out there, I think I may have vastly over estimated how much value my work experience has. It's not Canadian - and that's a big thing of course.

Even if my category falls off the list next year, I was thinking of trying to do a remote (online course) with a Canadian education establishment to bolster my chances long term. It would cost of course but it would save me money long term (living expenses in Canada) and be quite valuable if it counted as a Canadian qualification.

I haven't looked into the PNP/AEO routes for a long time. I'm a little out of touch in respect of these things now. I'll dig a bit deeper there to find out more.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 9:58 am
Island life at last

I've been out to Canada for a long time and networked, applied for jobs but only 2 companies got back to me. 1 of which didn't want to go through the LMO process again (they'd already done that for another Brit). The HR person I spoke to said to look them up should I ever gain legal working status so they must have liked my resume I guess.

Being out there, I think I may have vastly over estimated how much value my work experience has. It's not Canadian - and that's a big thing of course.

Even if my category falls off the list next year, I was thinking of trying to do a remote (online course) with a Canadian education establishment to bolster my chances long term. It would cost of course but it would save me money long term (living expenses in Canada) and be quite valuable if it counted as a Canadian qualification.

I haven't looked into the PNP/AEO routes for a long time. I'm a little out of touch in respect of these things now. I'll dig a bit deeper there to find out more.
PNP doesn't need the LMO step and was much quicker than FSW Cat 2 hen we went through this. Don't give up on it.
It might be that you were just unlucky and that, this time round, there will be some demand for your skills.

Good Luck
Old Jun 28th 2013, 11:31 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Your non resident status likely had more to do with it. From my experience, 'Canadian Experience' has never been an issue and it is not when we're hiring for your businesses, legally entitled to work is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.