Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Educational Credential Assessment – UK City and Guilds / NVQ Equivalency

Educational Credential Assessment – UK City and Guilds / NVQ Equivalency

Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

SUNSHINEGIRL_X is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Educational Credential Assessment – UK City and Guilds / NVQ Equivalency

2 years full time college For level 2 and level 3 was whilst working.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Educational Credential Assessment – UK City and Guilds / NVQ Equivalency

Originally Posted by SUNSHINEGIRL_X
2 years full time college For level 2 and level 3 was whilst working.
Hmmm. Very odd! I'm not sure what CIC would score that as for points purposes, normally ECA's say something like 'College Diploma (two years)' or 'Secondary school diploma and diploma (two years)'.

Maybe somebody else (PMM?!) will be able to shed some light on what you can claim points for with that.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

I will see what it says when I get result posted to me.

But the download just said

Canadian Equivalency: Completion of a career training program

I mean what!!!!
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I will see what it says when I get result posted to me.

But the download just said

I mean what!!!!
Yep. Not heard of that one before!
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

chrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond repute

So on the off chance some other Ex. UK Electricians are reading, I’m trying to gain some insight to Equivalences (mindful the ECA process for EE is all quite new right now)

The completion of my Electrical Engineering apprenticeship was to the National Electrotechnical Training “AM2” – which was, and still is the benchmark UK standard to “qualify” as a time served electrician (Journeyman) for JIB registration.

When I completed my apprenticeship back in 1997 / 98 NVQ’s were just being rolled out, and as such there was no direct NVQ 3 for electrical engineering (I believe it was later awarded at the end of the HNC course).

In terms of the “qualified & time served electrician” you simply completed the City & Guilds / NVQ L2, and then did a further year of your apprenticeship, after which you then challenged the AM2.

As it appears WES / ICAS wont assess an NVQ L2 alone, has any one had their AM2 certificate evaluated, and if so what was the result?

I would phone WES / ICAS, but I have a feeling I wouldn’t be getting anywhere fast with a response!

NB the ECA assessment is for points in regards to a FSW EE application.

Finally, just to clarify I don’t have the “red seal” in Canada as I haven’t been “on the tools” for a while, so do not currently have the option of directly challenging the red seal licence here, as I could not evidence the recent “practical hours” required to be allowed to challenge the exam.

Last edited by chrisro55; Mar 19th 2015 at 10:52 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

So I've just been to my EE profile.

I've ticked the box "two year program at a university, college trade or technical school Or other institute"

And the box with certificate awarded

Im hoping that's thats right, I'm not submitting until I receive paper copy.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

chrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond repute

So I've just been to my EE profile.

I've ticked the box "two year program at a university, college trade or technical school Or other institute"

And the box with certificate awarded

Im hoping that's thats right, I'm not submitting until I receive paper copy.
Sounds like a good plan!

Good luck!
Old Mar 25th 2015, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

And for completeness, the response from ICAS on Vocational Qualifications.

"Thank you for your enquiry.

The Canadian Immigration Assessment Package is the type of report which is valid for all immigration programs which require an ECA or for which an ECA is optional. It is our understanding that for the FSTP, an ECA is optional. Please note that the ECA will include only your academic qualifications and will not include trade certifications or apprenticeship training. Trade certification is a separate process which is completed through the appropriate government Ministry in the province in which you intend to work and can usually only be completed in Canada.

While we can provide some assessment of an NVQ Level 2, an assessment of this alone will not be very meaningful. We would require all GCE/GCSE examination results to prepare an assessment of your secondary education is as well.

CIC requires that all assessments for this purpose be prepared on the basis of documents received directly from the institution/body which awarded the qualification. Original documents, attested or certified copies of documents will not be accepted. Please review the specific documentation requirements by country at ICAS - FSW.

Please contact us if you require any additional information or clarification.

ICAS of Canada"

Based on the above It seems that ICAS may evaluate NVQ’s / C&G qualifications, in conjunction with High school completion GCE/GCSE.

However in terms of EE ECA, then as it stands at present it appears there is exceptionally limited value in having anything other than a diploma or a degree evaluated.

So of the three main bodies for evalauaitions of ECA’s there are three quite different stances.

WES - based on feedback from others in early 2015, WES will evaluate C&G / NVQ 3 and above in isolation

CES – wont consider an ECA for any vocational qualifications alone

ICAS - may evaluate vocational qualifications in conjunction with secondary / post secondary qualifications.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 5:19 am
Just Joined

SouthernPhill is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also getting my credentials looked at by WES, do I need to send NVQ level 3 certificate and City & Guilds or just one? Also was it easy to get the examining body to send the appropriate paper work to WES?
Old Mar 31st 2015, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

City and guilds was quick and easy to do. I went on line filled out a form and paid the fee I think it was around £40 per certificate. I got an email back the same day saying my order was complete and would be in the next post to WES.
By the following week WES had received all documents.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

P4rv1n is on a distinguished road

sorry to bombard this thread, but i was searching online about this too.
my story so far, i am being sponsored by my husband and so far he has been approved as a sponsor. I was having a look at types of job's i can possibly apply for if i get my PR.
Would i need to get my education certificates changed i only have GCSE's and GNVQ's, nothing further than that sadly, and those certificates were issued in 1995, 1996 and 1998.
any help of guidance would be appreciated.
I have checked my NOC in relation to the job i do now in the UK.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 5:10 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by P4rv1n
sorry to bombard this thread, but i was searching online about this too.
my story so far, i am being sponsored by my husband and so far he has been approved as a sponsor. I was having a look at types of job's i can possibly apply for if i get my PR.
Would i need to get my education certificates changed i only have GCSE's and GNVQ's, nothing further than that sadly, and those certificates were issued in 1995, 1996 and 1998.
any help of guidance would be appreciated.
I have checked my NOC in relation to the job i do now in the UK.
1. No, as you are being sponsored, no ECA is required. You would apply for jobs in Canada, that you think you are qualified for.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

P4rv1n is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. No, as you are being sponsored, no ECA is required. You would apply for jobs in Canada, that you think you are qualified for.

Lovely thankyou
Old May 3rd 2015, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

sighman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I too have a NVQ level 3 assessed from WES:

1. Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution
Credential: Certificate
Year: 2006
Awarded by: City and Guilds of London Institute
Institution Status: Recognized
Major/Specialization: Refrigeration and Air Conditioning

Seeing as how there are only a few results on google for this, just wondering if anyone had any more insight?

I do have a Red Seal as well but, I have no idea HOW to put that in study section on EE, as I literally just sat the exam.

Anyone else put their challenged Red Seal exam into EE?
Old May 5th 2015, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Kiki1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I need an advice please?
My husband and I attended college (Edgware academy London) full time from 2001 to 2004. I sent them an e-mail asking can they send WES our transcripts and if there is an fee I can pay. I included certificates what we achieved. All fees were paid in full at the time of study. Today I received their response:
"Thanks for your email.
Unfortunately We won’t be able to help you as we do not keep any information for students before 2010 when we chanced our system."

What should I do now? I am sure by law they suppose to keep some kind of records and I have Certificates/Diplomas issued by them for each year of study. Now even I have Diplomas I can not prove that I actually attended the college and got Diploma. For it is not a big deal as I have Uni degree but my husband have only NVQ certificates and this would mean 3 years full time education and more points on EE.

Any advice please....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.