Education Question

Old Aug 6th 2018, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

amycakes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Education Question

Hi,

I’m currently in the EE pool with 420 points with my husband.

I thought my points may have been higher as I over-estimates my education!

I’ve been routing around the CIC website and came across the ECA comparison tables.

I have a 3 year degree plus 2 University Post Grad Certificates, which WES have stated are not complete qualifications, so I haven’t used them for points.

However, I’ve just seen on the CIC website that I would get the higher points if I have a Three Year Certificate plus a University Certificate as per the photo.

Whats general opinion on this? I don’t know who can verify if this is where I’m sitting education wise.

Many thanks again for your help.
Amy
Old Aug 6th 2018, 3:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education Question

Why have WES said they're not complete qualifications? Did you finish them and get the qualification? What subjects were they in, were they definitely academic and not vocational or professional?

It would only be an extra 7 or 8 points (depending on if you have a spouse or not), so not sure it's worth reapplying but if you're sure they should count as a valid diploma then it may be wroth taking it up with WES and seeing if you get anywhere.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply!

I finished them both, and the subject area for one is Education, and the other is International Education Management, so I think they’re academic.

My WES report says Equivalent to Post Graduate Diploma (one semester) so I don’t think Canadian Universities give people PG Certs? I’m not sure.

I took this up with WES and they replied to me to say they will check my evaluation, which took them about 2 weeks. They came back and said that their original response was correct.

I think i would get an extra 7 points for education but also extra points in Skill Transferrability Factors, so my points score would go up to 452

Just not sure what I can do, other than top up one of my my PGCert to a PGDip or try to get confirmation that my PGCert is a University Certificate.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 3:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

True, you would get more points so may be worth pursuing after all. Good point!

How long did each take you to do and were they full-time study? If they definitely qualify then you could try getting another ECA from a different agency maybe? As it could make the difference between you getting an ITA and not, it's probably worth it.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, I hadn’t thought of looking at a different agency, that’s a good idea.

I might just point the final photo out to WES to see if they can change the wording maybe?

The certificates were were both part time whilst I was working full time. One took 6 months, the other took 18 months.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 7:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by amycakes
Thanks for that, I hadn’t thought of looking at a different agency, that’s a good idea.

I might just point the final photo out to WES to see if they can change the wording maybe?

The certificates were were both part time whilst I was working full time. One took 6 months, the other took 18 months.
OK, so the 6 month part-time won't count - it must be a year or more full-time to count. How long would the 18 month one have taken if you'd done it full-time?
Old Aug 6th 2018, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

I didn’t realise that, no point chasing the 6 month one then.

I’m not sure about the 18 month one as it wasn’t offered full time - I’d have to check it out with the uni.

I’ll keep trying!