Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Education points......your thoughts please

Wikiposts

Education points......your thoughts please

Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Glam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really nice
Default Education points......your thoughts please

Here goes,

I'm trying to get an idea of what CIC's interpretation of my education will be and how many points they will award. Here goes:

Primary School - 7 years,

High school (Scotland)- 6 years were i got:
Standard Grades: 1988 - 1992
Biology 2
Chemistry 3
English 3
French 3
History 3
Maths 4
Physics 3

Highers: 1992 - 1994
English C
History D

After leaving school I started working and through my employer and the local council was put through:

Scottish Vocational Qualification - Retailing Level 2
Started Aug 1994 - Achieved Aug 1996

.....well!!! how many points then???

Cheers,

Gav.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Education points......your thoughts please

My take would be.

Secondary school completed 11 years +
2 years equivalent "A" Levels I would presume,
+ it depends how they view your vocational course - could go either

13 years fulltime education (or equivalent) plus 1 year diploma - 15pts
14 years fulltime education (or equivalent) plus 2 year diploma - 20pts

This is only my take on it though, others will be on with ideas in a while Im sure.

This seems to be a trap that many of us fall into, us included. Good luck. for the future.

M
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Glam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really nice

Originally Posted by Strawberry
My take would be.

Secondary school completed 11 years +
2 years equivalent "A" Levels I would presume,
+ it depends how they view your vocational course - could go either

13 years fulltime education (or equivalent) plus 1 year diploma - 15pts
14 years fulltime education (or equivalent) plus 2 year diploma - 20pts

This is only my take on it though, others will be on with ideas in a while Im sure.

This seems to be a trap that many of us fall into, us included. Good luck. for the future.

M
I know.....it's not clear cut. good luck with yours
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

We're now going via Entrepreneur route, so we shall see.

M
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Glam;7953592]
QUOTE]

Where does a level 2 sit? I am not sure but I believe that a level 2 is only valued as a basic level, it is the equivalent of a standard GSCE.
Level 3 upwards will state "certificate" "Diploma" etc and will be scored as a diploma or if it is a level 3 but does not state "diploma" etc then it will be scored as a higher. This is only my view! You should do a search, google etc and find out what it states by the issuing body/company etc
Sorry if this is bad news
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=dinger24;7953810]
Originally Posted by Glam
QUOTE]

Where does a level 2 sit? I am not sure but I believe that a level 2 is only valued as a basic level, it is the equivalent of a standard GSCE.
Level 3 upwards will state "certificate" "Diploma" etc and will be scored as a diploma or if it is a level 3 but does not state "diploma" etc then it will be scored as a higher. This is only my view! You should do a search, google etc and find out what it states by the issuing body/company etc
Sorry if this is bad news
Yup, you're righ it seems to equate to a Intermediate 2 Credit Standard Grade. What impact would this have on the points??

G.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Well your in Dunfermline so I could pop over the bridge to see you but its just been closed! for winds, so lucky you!
Try taking the assessment on the CIC site but just put the SVQ down as 1 further year education! Any one else go any ideas?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dinger24
Well your in Dunfermline so I could pop over the bridge to see you but its just been closed! for winds, so lucky you!
Try taking the assessment on the CIC site but just put the SVQ down as 1 further year education! Any one else go any ideas?
Small world eh!. I've had a look at cic and there are only 3 options i think i come close to:

Obtained a secondary school credential - YES

Obtained a one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 12 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies - YES?

Obtained a one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 13 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies - ???

There are no in-betweens. so i still don't know where i am !!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

I think it is in the wording of the SVQ, it has to state diploma etc if not then it cant be used.
You either have fulltime education
Or a diploma, apprenticeship etc, but yours seems to have been an "inbetweener"!
I have loads of little bits and pieces but they are all for europe/EU so have no relevance other than proof of experience to a potential employer!
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

I think it is in the wording of the SVQ, it has to state diploma etc if not then it cant be used.
Or a diploma, apprenticeship etc, but yours seems to have been an "inbetweener"!
I have loads of little bits and pieces but they are all for europe/EU so have no relevance other than proof of experience to a potential employer!
The annoying thing is i only need 12 points in the education section to get to the 67 pass mark!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

I'm sure i read somewhere that Highers / a-levels count as a 1 yr diploma....or am i making things up now to make me feel better!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes I fully understand I am clutching at straws myself on the points for education. Mispent youths!
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

The annoying thing is i only need 12 points in the education section to get to the 67 pass mark!!!
So why don't you put the middle one, (15), then? Anything more than that is a bonus....especially if you only need 12.

The other way would be to put the highest one, (20 pts) and see how CIC assess you.

In any case.....CIC will decide....so just provide all the evidence that you can....

Good luck with yours
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family)
So why don't you put the middle one, (15), then? Anything more than that is a bonus....especially if you only need 12.

The other way would be to put the highest one, (20 pts) and see how CIC assess you.

In any case.....CIC will decide....so just provide all the evidence that you can....

Good luck with yours
When you say 'put the middle one, 15'.........put where? I thought you just send everything off and they decide. Do you actually fill in which points you think you get in each section on a form?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

When you say 'put the middle one, 15'.........put where? I thought you just send everything off and they decide. Do you actually fill in which points you think you get in each section on a form?
I applied under the 'Simplified Application Process' that was introduced in Sept 06 and was in effect until, was it April 08?

On the back of my 120 day letter it says that I have to complete various forms including the IMM008, IMM008 Schedule 1, IMM008 Schedule 3, and IMM5406.

On the IMM008 - Question 12, I have to fill in how many years of education that I reckon that I have.

Have you already completed these forms then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.