Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Education points on Immigration TEST

Education points on Immigration TEST

Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:18 am
Just Joined

Babyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Education points on Immigration TEST

Hello

My wife and I are struggling to clarify our education status for the skilled workers immigration test.

I completed a total of 14 years full time education, 12 years at high school followed by 2 years in college where i obtained a General National Vocational Qualification at level 3 advanced stage. I have also completed a National Vocational Qualification level 2 during a 1 year apprenticeship and then a selection of Systems and Software Accreditations.

My wife completed 12 years full time education at high school, followed by a 1 year apprenticeship and a further 3 year apprenticeship to obtain a level 4 National Vocational Qualification.

Please can someone offer any further help as to which option on the test applies - ie.
Obtained a two-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
or
Obtained a three-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship (other than university) and completed at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies

Thanks
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:08 am
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Education points on Immigration TEST

I know how you feel, not sure what points you can claim but my thread below may shed some light...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585382
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Babyd
Hello

My wife and I are struggling to clarify our education status for the skilled workers immigration test.

I completed a total of 14 years full time education, 12 years at high school followed by 2 years in college where i obtained a General National Vocational Qualification at level 3 advanced stage. I have also completed a National Vocational Qualification level 2 during a 1 year apprenticeship and then a selection of Systems and Software Accreditations.

My wife completed 12 years full time education at high school, followed by a 1 year apprenticeship and a further 3 year apprenticeship to obtain a level 4 National Vocational Qualification.

Please can someone offer any further help as to which option on the test applies - ie.
Obtained a two-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
or
Obtained a three-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship (other than university) and completed at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies

Thanks

Hi

This is a difficult one to assess.
For yourself it seems that you have easily qualified for the "Obtained a two-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies" (20 points)

My personal view on the second option is that I don't think you would qualify because you didn't technically complete a 3 year diploma...you completed a 2 year diploma (at level 3) and then a 1 year diploma (at level 2) - two seperate courses. (Someone else on here may have a different opinion though.)

I have done GNVQ's and NVQ's and I think when I originally applied I went for the safe option of "Obtained a two-year diploma....".

If you choose this option for your education how many total points do you score?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:06 am
Just Joined

If I score 20 points for education and we say that my wife has a 3 year diploma non uni then we score 67 points which is just enough but we are worried that if they see this differently we could potentially fall under the threshold of points and not qualify.

The other option is to put my wife as the main applicant and with her work experience and education classed as a 3yr non uni diploma we score 73 points, however she has not done this role for the last 18 months and is currently just working part time as we have small children. Therefore we are worried as the proof of work experience that you need to provide would be from an old empoyer not her present one.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:33 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Babyd
Hello

or

Thanks
I would agree with the other comment above that you get 20 points. A 2-year qualification plus a 1-year qualification does not make a 3-year qualification. The Regulations make it clear that multiple educational achievements are not cumulative and you just get points for the highest one.

In the case of your wife she would meet the test of having a 3-year qualification but you would need to determine if she had enough full-time study to add-up to 15 years.

However, in the Regulations it does also say:
Education (25 points)

(2) A maximum of 25 points shall be awarded for a skilled worker's education as follows:
(a) ....

...(e) 22 points for
(i) a three-year post-secondary educational credential, other than a university educational credential, and a total of at least 15 years of completed full-time or full-time equivalent studies, or

(ii) two or more university educational credentials at the bachelor's level and a total of at least 15 years of completed full-time or full-time equivalent studies; and
(f) 25 points for a university educational credential at the master's or doctoral level and a total of at least 17 years of completed full-time or full-time equivalent studies.

Special circumstances

(4) For the purposes of subsection (2), if a skilled worker has an educational credential referred to in paragraph (2)(b), subparagraph (2)(c)(i) or (ii), (d)(i) or (ii) or (e)(i) or (ii) or paragraph (2)(f), but not the total number of years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies required by that paragraph or subparagraph, the skilled worker shall be awarded the same number of points as the number of years of completed full-time or full-time equivalent studies set out in the paragraph or subparagraph.
So, if your wife was claiming to be in situation 2(e)(i) and claiming 22 points but possibly didnt have enough full-time equivalent studies then the Special Circumstances section would appeal to apply to her. In other words if she has the qualification referred to in 2(e)(i) but not enough schooling then it seems to say she still gets the points anyway.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:36 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hammy1976
I know how you feel, not sure what points you can claim but my thread below may shed some light...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585382
Hammy - I think the above would also apply to your case.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:42 am
Just Joined

thanks for that
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:44 am
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Hammy - I think the above would also apply to your case.
I'm confused, do you think I will receive 22 points?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:48 am
passport photo

I'm confused, do you think I will receive 22 points?
I've just read it again, 20 points, that makes sense.
Many thanks again.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:00 am
Immigration Consultant

I've just read it again, 20 points, that makes sense.
Many thanks again.
Actually I've just re-read my original post above and realised that it was really unclear! To clarify, the "Special circumstances" clause means if you have the qualification but not enough schooling then you get the points based on the years of schooling NOT the qualification.

So if you need a 3 year credential and 15 years of study to get 22 points but you only have 14 years of study then you only get 20 points (which needs a 2 year credential and 14 years of study) and not 22. I really hope that makes sense this time!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Because the UK and Canadian education system varies so much, a lot of people get confused over what points they qualify for.
I only have A Levels, and was told by many that they dont count as post secondary education. I emailed CHC (london) and they replied saying A Levels would count as post secondary, and I would get extra points. Then my immigration consultant said they wont....
It would help if CHC actually posted some proper guidance on this subject- would save everyone a lot of time and bother.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:47 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by jericho
Because the UK and Canadian education system varies so much, a lot of people get confused over what points they qualify for.
I only have A Levels, and was told by many that they dont count as post secondary education. I emailed CHC (london) and they replied saying A Levels would count as post secondary, and I would get extra points. Then my immigration consultant said they wont....
It would help if CHC actually posted some proper guidance on this subject- would save everyone a lot of time and bother.
Except that would mean they would have to post every educational equivalents for the world.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Except that would mean they would have to post every educational equivalents for the world.
Well, it's not like they dont have the information to hand. They know what the equivalents are.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:02 am
passport photo

Originally Posted by jericho
Received an email from my immigration lawyer which backs up the 20 points I should get, hopefully this info will help someone else with a similar background.

"Do you have a certificate or diploma from the College that demonstrates that you successfully completed this apprenticeship program? You will need to supply documentation of completion (such as a certificate), performance reviews, and a letter from the person supervising you and overseeing the apprenticeship, as well as proof that the College is an accredited institution. The UK considers a vocational HNC equivalent to a two-year Bachelor's degree, so you can claim 20 points for education. It is a matter of demonstrating that you have successfully completed this apprenticeship to the Visa Office and demonstrating you received your HNC in order to support these points"